PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Rim Movie - Possible Spoilers

Solfe
2013-Jul-22, 05:05 AM
I only saw the briefest mention of Pacific Rim in the 2013 movie thread. I hope I haven't missed a thread and duplicated something we already have.

I saw this with my boys today (9 and 11 years old). It was a lot of fun. And I mean 200 feet of fun.

I didn't see this movie in 3D, but clearly, this movie was made for 3D. I sort of regret not having the 3D option. The color palette in this movie is incredible, with the exception of the Kaiju. They each seemed to have a repetitive color scheme, but that wasn't a big deal. I loved the level of detail the robots have - a lot of them are just plates of metal with little moving bits poking through. The sound was great, but nothing in the music soundtrack stood out to me.

Family/Children type Spoilers:

1. This film was PG-13 and my children informed me that there was a lot of cussing. I only noticed one word, so it is entirely possible that the stomping and rumbling hides some of the dialog. Somehow I missed a lot of bad words, but only warrants a single lightsabre on the Samuel L Jackson swearing scale.
2. Very little human gore, notable only because the Kaiju stomp cities, as they should. It's pretty clean. I would rank it with the Narnia series where swords go through people who don't bleed at all. The grossest things actually have nothing to do with fighting.
3. Nose bleeds. There are a lot of them. Nothing spectacular, but it does have a creep factor for some people.

Trailer Level Spoilers:
1. The piloting of the Jaegers is done by two people. It looks amazing in action and vaguely makes sense. The level of detail in these scenes are amazing.
2. The fight scenes are interesting dual level affairs - what is happening to the robots and monsters and what the pilots are talking about.
3. There are about three major points and arcs that the trailer doesn't even touch and all of them are good.
4. The trailer seems more grim and gritty than the movie actually is.

No major story spoilers in my post, but be aware there someone may add some later.

Tog
2013-Jul-22, 08:13 AM
I have yet to read anything by anyone who didn't like this movie, and yet, I can't see anything about it that rates high enough to even give it a "meh." One of the people loved it is a writer who normally only comments on the plot/character related aspects. I didn't see anything on that trailer that looked like it was anything beyond Transformers meets the Power Rangers.

This makes me curious.

galacsi
2013-Jul-22, 08:46 AM
I have yet to read anything by anyone who didn't like this movie, and yet, I can't see anything about it that rates high enough to even give it a "meh." One of the people loved it is a writer who normally only comments on the plot/character related aspects. I didn't see anything on that trailer that looked like it was anything beyond Transformers meets the Power Rangers.

This makes me curious.

I downloaded it last friday and it is like you said : Transformers meets the PowerRangers. But , probably because del Toro is a mexican I believe , we are been sparred the usual militarist and chauvinist ....Hum you know what.

The plot is extremely stupid ,the characters are made of cardboard and the CGI is very good.

crosscountry
2013-Jul-22, 02:53 PM
The plot is extremely stupid ,the characters are made of cardboard and the CGI is very good.

I'd agree with this. I saw it in 2d and was still impressed by the effects. If you want a plot or character movie, then go see something else. This is robots fighting dinosaurs.

Ara Pacis
2013-Jul-22, 04:24 PM
I dunno if I'll watch It. in the preview they pick up a ship and hit someone with it. And I thought, the ship isn't strong enough to be held and swung like that. When they pick it up or swing it, the momentum would cause the ship to crumple under its own weight, like a sheet of kleenex someone rolled into a tube being swung in the breeze.

captain swoop
2013-Jul-22, 04:25 PM
Didn't Godzilla already do this?

And about a thousand Japanese Comics and Cartoons?

Hlafordlaes
2013-Jul-22, 05:59 PM
I'd agree with this. I saw it in 2d and was still impressed by the effects. If you want a plot or character movie, then go see something else. This is robots fighting dinosaurs.

Mu sentiments exactly. Meaningless, superficial, and lots of fun to watch, especially given the AC temps prevailing in summer movie theaters.

Solfe
2013-Jul-22, 06:38 PM
The visuals are nearly on par with What Dreams May Come, it is amazing how nicely they handled them and it is completely non-stop.

As far as the story and plot goes, it is just enough to get you from one fight seen to the next. There are some flashback moments which are 50-50 scary and visually stunning.

I loved it for the pure action and wonderful visuals. Strangely, I did really like the characters, but there just wasn't enough of them, which is disappointing in a 130 minute movie. It was sort of like picking up a graphic novel of some characters you hadn't hear of and trying to muddle through it. It made sense, but I despite liking what I saw, they were pretty vacant people.

Semi-spoiler - The cargo ship actually ends up like a roll of tin foil across the roof of two buildings. I noticed it because it didn't explode. There are very few "why did that explode?" moments in the film. 200 foot tall robot stomping things tends to put out flames, I guess.

crosscountry
2013-Jul-22, 10:35 PM
200 foot tall robot stomping things tends to put out flames, I guess.

You have to keep it realistic.

Romanus
2013-Jul-24, 04:19 AM
It was the most fun I've had at the theaters in a very, very long time. Very big, very loud, very meta (for its genre), the "Rule of Cool" to the core, and an intoxicating sensory overload in 3D Imax. I'm admittedly biased, though, in having never seen a Del Toro film I've disliked; it's a real stylistic departure for him, though you could see him heading this way back in Hellboy 2 (2008).

korjik
2013-Jul-24, 05:06 AM
I dunno if I'll watch It. in the preview they pick up a ship and hit someone with it. And I thought, the ship isn't strong enough to be held and swung like that. When they pick it up or swing it, the momentum would cause the ship to crumple under its own weight, like a sheet of kleenex someone rolled into a tube being swung in the breeze.

But you dont have a problem with skyscraper sized robots or animals? :)

I was really iffy on Pacific Rim before I saw it. I thought it would be Dance Dance Robot Fighting.

Well, it was. But it was really cool Dance Dance Robot Fighting.

There is absolutely nothing in this movie which is the slightest bit realistic, but if you like Giant Robots, or if you like Giant Monsters, you will like this film.

P.s. if really cool Dance Dance Robot Fighting seems like an extremely oxymoronic statement, I was military intelligence, so nothing else seems even close anymore :)

Doodler
2013-Jul-24, 11:01 AM
I liked it, although it was nothing original. It basically clicked off a full page or two of science fictions story cliches on it's way from point A to point B, with a bigger budget and better special effects. The international teams basically played like stock stereotype characters from about 40 years ago. It wasn't a complete waste of money for me, I didn't see it in 3D or in IMAX, but it's a tragic yardstick for how lobotomized science fiction has to be in order to sell well in the American market.

novaderrik
2013-Jul-24, 11:04 AM
ok, now that this movie is out of the way...

can we please get the live action Voltron (lions, not cars... the cars are stupid) movie made...

also, Robotech...

Solfe
2013-Jul-24, 01:27 PM
I just watched some of the Voltron cartoons with my kids. We had a lot of fun.

Robotech would be cool if they could get the right people. Personally, I would like to see the Rift's RPG adapted to the big screen. The project has been around for a while, but hasn't progressed at all.

korjik
2013-Jul-24, 01:49 PM
I liked it, although it was nothing original. It basically clicked off a full page or two of science fictions story cliches on it's way from point A to point B, with a bigger budget and better special effects. The international teams basically played like stock stereotype characters from about 40 years ago. It wasn't a complete waste of money for me, I didn't see it in 3D or in IMAX, but it's a tragic yardstick for how lobotomized science fiction has to be in order to sell well in the American market.

I got the feeling that the cliche was a bit deliiberate, that it was an homage to old style monster movies more than anything else.

Doodler
2013-Jul-24, 02:34 PM
I got the feeling that the cliche was a bit deliiberate, that it was an homage to old style monster movies more than anything else.

I sensed that possibility, which is why I did let myself go ahead and like it. That, and it kept a nice balance between the campiness of those old movies and the more modern straightforward taking of one's self seriously. The cliches weren't the worst thing to me, it was the stereotyping. That is getting overly long in the tooth.

SeanF
2013-Jul-24, 02:36 PM
Went to see it with the family last night. It was pretty good, for a giant-robots-fight-monsters movie, although there were a couple of plot points we had to question. The first time two people get neurally connected is when they're in a fully-armed and operational war machine? Really? (Speaking of that scene, though, the actress who played Mako as a little girl was very convincing)

Funny bit was that, after commenting on there not being any real recognizable names in the movie, I said, "Is that the guy from 'Horrible Bosses'?" without even seeing him - as soon as I heard his voice... :lol:

Ara Pacis
2013-Jul-24, 04:31 PM
But you dont have a problem with skyscraper sized robots or animals? :)

I can only suspend my disbelief so much.

FarmMarsNow
2013-Jul-24, 09:36 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I may get a chance. Great movies sometimes have thermodynamically and biologically implausible plots. How do the uncrust creatures manage to endure such temperature extremes? How do they move their bulky bodies and from where do they get the energy?

I also want to see Turbo.