PDA

View Full Version : No, Ohio Has A Bigger Problem...

BigDon
2013-Jul-23, 05:27 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/22/us-health-blowguns-homemade-blowguns-idUSBRE96L0SJ20130722

Than blow guns causing a choking hazard.

They seem to be breeding stupid kids. Why isn't anybody looking at that angle?

And the story itself...How many other kids tripped over their own shoe laces in the same time period and broke either their wrists or forearms?

Have we even considered the shoe lace threat to our children?

Three cases is not a wave.

We made a lot of blow guns when I was a kid. Ones you could hunt small game with. Eight foot long sections of copper pipe from the hardware store and sections of coat hanger wrapped in waxed string were the darts. You also wrapped the blowing end in waxed string to increase its diameter for a better mouth seal and also so you don't use that end as a walking stick. :)

You could blow a dart through the garage door across the street! And blunt tips are much more effective at bringing down prey animals than pointy, sharp tips. (Counter-intuitively, pointy tips would lodge in bone and stop. Blunt tips would break out the section of bone struck and keep going in.)

NEOWatcher
2013-Jul-23, 06:17 PM
They seem to be breeding stupid kids. Why isn't anybody looking at that angle?
But, but, but... we have to protect the cheeeldren.

And the story itself...How many other kids tripped over their own shoe laces in the same time period and broke either their wrists or forearms?
Or flip flops, or drawstrings on coats (oh, wait, they are regulating that one)

Three cases is not a wave.
Absolutely. Potato guns, pellet guns, slingshots, bbguns, etc.
I guess no one tells them "you'll shoot your eye out, kid".

And come on now... we are talking about a 15 year old. In Ohio thats pretty close to driving age. Is that any safer than a blowgun?

Being that this kid swallowed a sharp object and didn't take action tells you something about that kid's brilliance. I wonder if he ever inhaled a hot dog in his youth.

Anyway, the article that I read, the same doctors also talked about kids accidentally swallowing all sorts of sharp objects. So; it's not like they don't know kids swallow things.

Yes, I think this is a stupid warning. The warning is "IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN YOUR MOUTH, DON'T INHALE". :rolleyes:

John Mendenhall
2013-Jul-23, 07:05 PM
Big D, we never tried the the blowgun. Think I'll make one. Blunt, huh?

But we did try the David and Goliath type sling. Deadly? Oh yeah. If Goliath didn't get in close and grapple fast, he was a dead man. Which is exactly what happened.

Regards, John M.

Swift
2013-Jul-23, 07:25 PM
No, Ohio Has a Bigger Problem...
Don't get me started... I'd have to ban myself.

The Indians ability to score runs... yeah, that's what I meant.

BigDon
2013-Jul-23, 07:33 PM
I'm sure Mr. Mendenhall is, but are you old enough to have played with lawn darts Neo?

Those were much more fun than horse shoes. (Nowadays you would probably get ten years for possession in England.)

John, my older brother got annoyingly good* with a sling. Me, all I could do was break windows that were at ninety degrees from the intended trajectory with one.

*"Don, you've got ten seconds, then I'm going to launch this dirt clod at you. It will hurt more the closer you are, so I suggest running now. One, two, three..."

As my older brother was six years my senior and weighed two hundred pounds the whole close and grapple thing wasn't a viable option. Goliath isn't supposed to have a sling too for that story to work.

But I did get really fast.

NEOWatcher
2013-Jul-23, 08:00 PM
I'm sure Mr. Mendenhall is, but are you old enough to have played with lawn darts Neo?
Yep. The real ones. I also have a set with nylon tips that are aren't supposed to penetrate the skull. Unfortunately, they don't penetrate the ground the same as the old ones either.

Fortunately, I didn't have an evil older brother.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Jul-23, 08:20 PM
Gosh, seems like I missed out on some fun back when. No creative blow guns. I did have a nice Civil War muzzle loader, which with firecrackers, bits of cloth, and glass marbles, was fairly wicked. But mostly I just made variations of gun powder, with fun additives that could fill large outdoor areas with dense smoke. Then there were the bare model rocket engines with taped-on fins and cherry bombs on top... the echo would travel from the Beltway halfway down Rock Creek park to DC.

My slingshot spent most of its time in Dad's closet, as I was usually suspended for using it in some nefarious way.

(no people or major property damaged, but tin cans and glass bottles lived in abject fear, as did the streetlight that always shone in my window and kept me up)

BigDon
2013-Jul-23, 08:23 PM
Ahh, my evil older brother. He was Reese, from Malcolm In The Middle, only bigger.

Even though I love him to death, and have had him over for dinner at least three times this month, I've had more fist fights with that man than any other human being alive. and it's pretty freakin' sad to see to grown men in their fifties having a fist fight.

(Yeah, we're both still spunky.)

NEOWatcher
2013-Jul-23, 08:26 PM
Then there were the bare model rocket engines with taped-on fins and cherry bombs on top...
I tried that one with packs of firecrackers on top.
There was spent firecracker paper all over the yard, the roof, the pool and all sorts of places that had to be "tidied up" before my parents got home.

Fazor
2013-Jul-23, 08:50 PM
Someone posted this article to Twitter yesterday and said, "What kind of teenage boys do these things?!" I responded "All of them. All teenage boys do these things."

Heck; I'm in my 30's and still occasionally improvise blow-guns out of household materials.

Swift
2013-Jul-23, 08:57 PM
I was never a big fan of blow guns.

Now... fire and explosions....

http://www.allmystery.de/i/td35fa5_29903b_smiley_emoticons_labor_explosion.gi f

Trebuchet
2013-Jul-23, 11:31 PM
Big D, we never tried the the blowgun. Think I'll make one. Blunt, huh?

But we did try the David and Goliath type sling. Deadly? Oh yeah. If Goliath didn't get in close and grapple fast, he was a dead man. Which is exactly what happened.

Regards, John M.

I prefer my slings on the end of a wooden beam, with a large hunk of weight on the other and a pivot in the middle. I have actually tried the D&G type using one of my catapult slings, as well as using the arm and sling from a small treb to make a staff sling. Works quite well without even much practice.

I will also confess to having a set of lawn darts in the garage. If I tried them in the back yard now I'd probably just puncture a sprinkler pipe.

swampyankee
2013-Jul-24, 12:07 AM
I remember Jarts. They were at most family picnics, along with softball games, horseshoes, and annoying relatives. No family members -- even the most annoying -- were perforated.

We also made blowguns in college. We used PVC pipe for the tube, coat hanger wire for the dart, and tracing film for the combined sabot/stabilizer. Being geeky engineering students (think Dilbert, but thin), we clearly didn't have Don's lung power, so we couldn't put a dart through a garage door. Also, wandering the streets of Chicago with a blowgun would probably get the police a trifle upset. In the early 1970s, getting the Chicago Police upset was definitely not a good idea.

Cookie
2013-Jul-24, 02:03 AM
I wonder how long it'll be before there's a news story about teens drowning,
because some irresponsible adults, put a Straw in their glass of lactose-free soy milk...
:silenced: :razz:

Actually, that reminds me of the time a straw got jammed under my tongue.
I was drinking some milk, at lunch, in school, in grade 3, with a straw, when some kid bumped into me.
Had to have the straw removed by a doctor. >_<

Ever since then, whenever I drink a fountian drink, I keep the straw off of the bottom of the drink container, by at least an inch.
Once there's only an inch or so of soda pop left, I toss the lid and straw. ;)

Solfe
2013-Jul-24, 04:39 AM
I remember cutting the feathers off of feather dusters with a razor and ending up with a dart that would stick to just about anything, no added materials. The really cool thing was it would stick in brick or concrete. I am pretty sure they were simply deforming, but man, were they sharp.

My other favorite "toy weapon" was a pellet gun... loaded with whole black peppercorns. The neat thing about that was, the peppercorn would shatter and pass through clothing without damaging it too much. Surprise!

A guy I used to know was very smart but lacked a certain amount of common sense. He wanted a magnetron from a microwave for some reason. Maybe for maser, it sounded nuts so I didn't ask.

We would garbage pick every microwave we found and all of them were defective except one. My friend plugged in the microwave, took two ballpoint pens and jammed them in the lock to disable the safety and his stereo went haywire. The noise was so incredible that he turned to look at it, exposing his whole chest, neck and head to the open door. I quickly unplugged the microwave and the noise stopped.

He asked, "What did you do that for?" After a second he looked down at his chest and said "Oh."

Within a few weeks he purchased a meteorological laser at a flea market and was very happy with it and stopped messing with microwaves. I suspect he really wanted a laser the whole time, but thought a maser was an easier "get".

Ara Pacis
2013-Jul-24, 05:00 AM
Not just kids. My 20-something neighbor got a talking to because another, older neighbor who has elderly dogs, reported him for popping firecrackers... even though it was stuff he got at the local store and not from out of state. So what does he want to show me when he knocks on my door the other day. Well I thought it was an M-80, but no, it was a quarter stick of dynamite. Sure enough, the neighbor who comes driving slowly by about 2 minutes later.

NEOWatcher
2013-Jul-24, 01:07 PM
Actually, that reminds me of the time a straw got jammed under my tongue.
I guess you're not old enough for when almost all straws were paper. You were lucky to finish your drink before they would collapse.

My other favorite "toy weapon" was a pellet gun... loaded with whole black peppercorns. The neat thing about that was, the peppercorn would shatter and pass through clothing without damaging it too much. Surprise!
And causing a sneezing epidemic instead.

... even though it was stuff he got at the local store and not from out of state...
The actual product, or the ingredients.
Some years back, we had a neighbor blow in the back of his house while he was mixing his own fireworks propellant/explosive in a 5 gallon pail in his back yard.
I was far enough away to avoid any shrapnel, but not far enough away to be surrounded by news trucks.

BigDon
2013-Jul-24, 06:27 PM
I remember Jarts. They were at most family picnics, along with softball games, horseshoes, and annoying relatives. No family members -- even the most annoying -- were perforated.

We also made blowguns in college. We used PVC pipe for the tube, coat hanger wire for the dart, and tracing film for the combined sabot/stabilizer. Being geeky engineering students (think Dilbert, but thin), we clearly didn't have Don's lung power, so we couldn't put a dart through a garage door. Also, wandering the streets of Chicago with a blowgun would probably get the police a trifle upset. In the early 1970s, getting the Chicago Police upset was definitely not a good idea.

Umm. Mr. Yankee, that was all technique, not lung power. I was 13 years old. I had teachers, obviously. From how wide the mouth piece was so your jaws weren't too close together to how you blew the dart through the whole length of tubing. Even how to balance the darts themselves. Did you do that? The dart also has to have mass or its just a snowflake with a point. I was even taught cute ways to "enhance" the darts but I don't feel comfortable repeating it here. (That Canadian woman is watching, you know.)

My best friend was the youngest of a large Scottish Catholic family. He had five older brothers (and three older sisters!) and none of his older brothers were mean. :) They got bored one summer and taught all the local kids who were interested everything you would want to know about blowguns.

Then, my other friend had a rabbit plague on his family's property (and on all the adjoining properties) up north near Lake Berryessa.

His father was a serious hunter, no kidding, trained his own dogs and loaded his own shells. And when we came back to the cabin with a load of rabbits and he didn't hear any shooting, he got curious as to what we did, then he got concerned. He had a life-long hatred for sloppy bow hunters and being as he was a feisty Genovese Italian he could get really colorful with the language, really fast. He wasn't having any wounded animals running around on his property, (150+ acres!) and we couldn't do it anymore unless we had an overwatch with a .22. Even then he grilled us to make sure we got all the ones we hit. We weren't trying to be sneaky about it, we just didn't think to tell him. If we hadn't shown up with seven rabbits first, he wouldn't have let us do it any more.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Jul-24, 07:45 PM
One fun prank we had was to remove the shaft from a toy dart and thread a screw into the suction cup. To the head of the screw we tied several yards of fishing line, with a series of knots at the end.

We then would stick the suction cup to the outside of a neighbor's window in the evening. As we pulled the line taut and ran our pinched fingers over the little knots, the screw would tap gently on the window.

You could hide behind a bush and even keep tapping as they looked out the window, not noticing the little suction cup. Sure was a step up from ringing door bells.

It could get pretty hair raising, so our older sisters were our favorite victims. Ah, the good old days, when you could still accuse girls of having cooties.... That brings to mind the solemn oath to never ever like girls I made when 10. Oops!

BigDon
2013-Jul-24, 07:59 PM
One fun prank we had was to remove the shaft from a toy dart and thread a screw into the suction cup. To the head of the screw we tied several yards of fishing line, with a series of knots at the end.

We then would stick the suction cup to the outside of a neighbor's window in the evening. As we pulled the line taut and ran our pinched fingers over the little knots, the screw would tap gently on the window.

You could hide behind a bush and even keep tapping as they looked out the window, not noticing the little suction cup. Sure was a step up from ringing door bells.

It could get pretty hair raising, so our older sisters were our favorite victims. Ah, the good old days, when you could still accuse girls of having cooties.... That brings to mind the solemn oath to never ever like girls I made when 10. Oops!

Dude! That's amazing! I've never heard of that before!

I am so getting my daughter Boo with that one!

Oh wait. I forgot. Boo lives forty miles away now. She got accepted as a senior at San Jose State University and moved away three days ago...

profloater
2013-Jul-24, 11:01 PM
Suction cup window tapper: That's new to me too. I don't dare describe the mortar we made with plumbing parts, too many people watching in but I suppose you know about two bolts screwed into one nut and in the middle a few match heads, it's a good banger. Most scary one was a well in the vicar's garden. His son, a bad case of vicar's son, introduced me to dropping half a gallon of petrol down the well which was several seconds deep. Wait a minute, then drop a flaming rag and don't bend over to watch. It's a bit like a major rocket launch, the flames go way high and the sound!

Ara Pacis
2013-Jul-25, 12:50 AM
Umm. Mr. Yankee, that was all technique, not lung power. I was 13 years old. I had teachers, obviously. From how wide the mouth piece was so your jaws weren't too close together to how you blew the dart through the whole length of tubing. Even how to balance the darts themselves. Did you do that? The dart also has to have mass or its just a snowflake with a point. I was even taught cute ways to "enhance" the darts but I don't feel comfortable repeating it here. (That Canadian woman is watching, you know.)

My best friend was the youngest of a large Scottish Catholic family. He had five older brothers (and three older sisters!) and none of his older brothers were mean. :) They got bored one summer and taught all the local kids who were interested everything you would want to know about blowguns.

Then, my other friend had a rabbit plague on his family's property (and on all the adjoining properties) up north near Lake Berryessa.

His father was a serious hunter, no kidding, trained his own dogs and loaded his own shells. And when we came back to the cabin with a load of rabbits and he didn't hear any shooting, he got curious as to what we did, then he got concerned. He had a life-long hatred for sloppy bow hunters and being as he was a feisty Genovese Italian he could get really colorful with the language, really fast. He wasn't having any wounded animals running around on his property, (150+ acres!) and we couldn't do it anymore unless we had an overwatch with a .22. Even then he grilled us to make sure we got all the ones we hit. We weren't trying to be sneaky about it, we just didn't think to tell him. If we hadn't shown up with seven rabbits first, he wouldn't have let us do it any more.

I always wanted to go hunting as a kid, but parents didn't want us doing that and most of the people who did it were part of the Good-Ol'e-Boys-Club.

Solfe
2013-Jul-25, 01:55 AM
Suction cup window tapper: That's new to me too. I don't dare describe the mortar we made with plumbing parts, too many people watching in but I suppose you know about two bolts screwed into one nut and in the middle a few match heads, it's a good banger. Most scary one was a well in the vicar's garden. His son, a bad case of vicar's son, introduced me to dropping half a gallon of petrol down the well which was several seconds deep. Wait a minute, then drop a flaming rag and don't bend over to watch. It's a bit like a major rocket launch, the flames go way high and the sound!

My aforementioned super brainy friend had me wrapping magnets for a coil gun. We would disassemble model trains for the finest copper wire to be had for very cheap. Needless to say, I am more focused and steady handed than he is. We used skin glue between wrappings.

Unfortunately, I moved away after wrapping like 15 magnets so I never saw the end result. I hear it was spectacular and not in a good way. I have no idea how it turned out but my friend won't speak of it and other witnesses laugh manically. I get the feeling that he did something really ill-advised like test fired it in the basement of his parents house. (This was in 1991 and we only had information that we could find in the library at the University of Buffalo.) This is what happened with the jacob's ladder and the thermite he made. Both of those events were nearly deadly and really funny since we survived.

publius
2013-Jul-25, 04:14 AM
Oh, the stunts my little friends and I used to pull. Went through a bomb-making phase which produced a fire that nearly got out of hand -- we tried to cover it up, but were found out of course. Once a friend and I got into an argument and then a fight and the little rat went out a got his BB gun and shot me in the stomach with it at close range. :) I ran off. The BB didn't break the skin, but boy did it sting and make a welt. I got him back the next day. I hid and laid in wait for him with my own BB gun and shot him and declared us to be even. He agreed after some persuasion.

We laugh and roll our eyes at stuff like in the OP, but it's a real problem. We got these idiot helicopter parents who aren't letting their children learn the dangers of the world and pick up various skills that nobody can teach, but are critically important. When they get to be adults out on their own, they have no clue whatsoever.

I was reading an article somewhere a few days ago. Some parents had organized a picnic -- something with outside eating, maybe at tables under a shed -- and a number of the parents began freaking out because there was no way for little Sally and Johnny to wash their hands before eating.

WHen I was little kid, the thought of washing, at any time, for any reason, was something that would send me running. My parents had to hold me down and force wash when I got so dirty I was messing up the furniture. :) That's before puberty kicks in and the stink sweat glands turn on, of course, but I loved to be dirty. Now not so much, but I ain't afraid of it. I could just imagine how some of these kids are going to turn out.

novaderrik
2013-Jul-25, 07:18 AM
i made a crossbow out of a kit in shop class... in 7th grade...

i could barely cock the thing.. it shot an arrow thru my wooden garage door and took a chunk out of the concrete back wall when shot from about 100 feet away.. i was hoping to stick the arrow in the door...
i don't know what happened to that thing, but it just disappeared about a month after i brought it home from school... it's been over 25 years, and my mom still claims that she didn't get rid of it, but i don't totally believe her..

a few years after that, a bunch of us modified the recipe for pop bottle bombs and scaled it up to be able to launch basketballs out of 5 gallon pails to a height of a couple of hundred feet..

Ara Pacis
2013-Jul-25, 06:58 PM
My friends used to try to make napalm and nitroglycerin from scratch in high school. I got a homebrew booklet on flash powder from Gen. Schwartzkopf's personal driver, who was my mom's boyfriend's nephew, but I never got a chance to try out any of the recipes.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Jul-25, 09:13 PM
Oh, the stunts my little friends and I used to pull. Went through a bomb-making phase which produced a fire that nearly got out of hand -- we tried to cover it up, but were found out of course. Once a friend and I got into an argument and then a fight and the little rat went out a got his BB gun and shot me in the stomach with it at close range. :) I ran off. The BB didn't break the skin, but boy did it sting and make a welt. I got him back the next day. I hid and laid in wait for him with my own BB gun and shot him and declared us to be even. He agreed after some persuasion.

We laugh and roll our eyes at stuff like in the OP, but it's a real problem. We got these idiot helicopter parents who aren't letting their children learn the dangers of the world and pick up various skills that nobody can teach, but are critically important. When they get to be adults out on their own, they have no clue whatsoever.

I was reading an article somewhere a few days ago. Some parents had organized a picnic -- something with outside eating, maybe at tables under a shed -- and a number of the parents began freaking out because there was no way for little Sally and Johnny to wash their hands before eating.

WHen I was little kid, the thought of washing, at any time, for any reason, was something that would send me running. My parents had to hold me down and force wash when I got so dirty I was messing up the furniture. :) That's before puberty kicks in and the stink sweat glands turn on, of course, but I loved to be dirty. Now not so much, but I ain't afraid of it. I could just imagine how some of these kids are going to turn out.

Agreed. For one, germs are good for development of the immune system, as I'm sure everyone's already heard. But the loss from the lack of free play is the worst, that's when the "creative system" is developed, imo.

On the other hand, some improvements are OK. No way I'd let a young child of mine play as I did unsupervised on the mossy sea cliffs and rocks near Boston in the summers, or stick their hand into the rushing Potomac while leaning out from the rocks at Great Falls, or go boating in the flood waters of Rock Creek after a hurricane.

Then again, most parents don't have Little Mr. Impossible for a son. I had to tell lots of little white lies so as not to give my poor mother a heart attack. Dad, though, often seemed bemused at the idea of finally ridding himself of his little pest... but he'd come around after a spell, mostly.

tashirosgt
2013-Jul-25, 09:53 PM
It makes evolutionary sense that young males have a natural desire to experiment with fire, slings, blowguns, and other dangerous phenomena. They are more expendable than females from a reproductive standpoint and getting familiar with how fires and projectiles behave would help (some of) them survive.

Ara Pacis
2013-Jul-25, 11:50 PM
It makes evolutionary sense that young males have a natural desire to experiment with fire, slings, blowguns, and other dangerous phenomena. They are more expendable than females from a reproductive standpoint and getting familiar with how fires and projectiles behave would help (some of) them survive.

Especially if we/they use those dangerous phenomena to reduce the supply of men compared to demand, thus increasing the value of the remaining men. Isn't that right, Dr. Strangelove? :)

Trebuchet
2013-Jul-26, 12:38 AM
On the more serious side, there was a guy in my dormitory in college who, with a friend, had thought to steal a stick of dynamite from a construction site and set it off. He was still able to see -- just. And he still had bits of his friend embedded in his body, as the friend had been between him and the dynamite when it went off. The friend's casket was largely empty when they laid it to rest.

I'll stick to pumpkins, which is dangerous enough.

publius
2013-Jul-26, 04:23 AM
Especially if we/they use those dangerous phenomena to reduce the supply of men compared to demand, thus increasing the value of the remaining men. Isn't that right, Dr. Strangelove? :)

What was my idea female/male ratio, 10:1, or was it greater? But first, I've got to get this hand under control...acckkkkk...

publius
2013-Jul-26, 05:18 AM
On the other hand, some improvements are OK. No way I'd let a young child of mine play as I did unsupervised on the mossy sea cliffs and rocks near Boston in the summers, or stick their hand into the rushing Potomac while leaning out from the rocks at Great Falls, or go boating in the flood waters of Rock Creek after a hurricane.

I think the ideal is to keep the little buggers from killing themselves or getting permanently disabled, but otherwise let them learn that fire burns, wasps sting, etc, etc. Let them fail, crash and burn, but in a controlled environment.

Local stories I hear are junior (and increasingly the daughters) is given a car to drive when he gets his license. He promptly goes out and wrecks it, doing great injury to himself and others or worse. I wonder if junior had some of the experiences I had riding my bicycle, would he have been so reckless.

Lord, I was a little reckless with vehicles -- my father supervised me pretty closely at first and knocked some sense into my head -- but not that reckless. I mean, I knew there was a limit to how fast one could go around curves, the notion of minimum stopping distance. I've still got a couple of scars, one on my left knee and another on my left arm that came from F=ma lessons learned on a bicycle.

Once, I scared my poor paternal grandmother to death. I would come flying down the road, turn into her driveway and make a little "jump" and get sort of airborne going by her porch. She was sitting there on the swing, telling me I was going to kill my fool self, which just sort of egged me on to go faster. I lost control somehow and crashed into a big bush with the bike on top of me, all bloodied up. That gave me one of the scars I think.

Another came when I going to way too fast through the yard in front of her old barn -- well, one of the old barns on her place, this one well below her house. There were a bunch of loose sticks and limbs under the trees, and I picked one up in the front wheel. It stuck right through the spokes and locked the wheel on the fork. The bike pitched forward and threw me winding. And once again I was lying dazed on the ground, covered in dirt and sticks and blood. IIRC, I think I pushed the bike back home, with some bent spokes and I was too scared and shaky to ride.

Those of course were valuable lessons when I graduated to faster, and more dangerous vehicles.

I laugh thinking what would happen today in some of the ridiculous environments I've seen. First helicopter mom would've probably rushed me to the emergency room where MRIs and lord knows what would've been ordered. Probably spent o few $K right there. Then the doctors might have reported my mother and the rest to social services for possible child endagerment charges, what with allowing me to ride without a helmet and crash suit, and riding off unsupervised.

publius
2013-Jul-26, 05:34 AM
ANd another good one I remember -- I think it was my first year in high school, 9th grade, and gym class. I hated gym (it wasn't the activity, but the type of people who engage in it... :lol: There was the beginnings of some lifelong little aversions). Anyway, it was track and field week or two weeks or something. The class was run by a big jock coach type who used to make me sick prancing around in his little shorts and trying to show off for a couple or three or ten of the female teachers he thought were cute. Anyway we were doing whatever he was forcing us to do, and somehow I got hit for a loop. I fell down somehow (or ran into another student) and ended up knocking my knee up into my chin. It bloodied my lip and I was dazed, nearly knocked out. I didn't know where I was or what I was doing for a while.

What did "Coach" do? He came over, looked me over, declared me OK and told me to "walk it off". He had two other kids hold me up and walk me around until I regained my senses, then he handed me some cotton wad to hold on my inner lip. And that was it. Man up. The same coach would routinely tell kids to rub a little dirt in open cuts...

BigDon
2013-Jul-26, 04:54 PM
My friends used to try to make napalm and nitroglycerin from scratch in high school. I got a homebrew booklet on flash powder from Gen. Schwartzkopf's personal driver, who was my mom's boyfriend's nephew, but I never got a chance to try out any of the recipes.

You don't want to make, then play with, either of those substances. (I'm the board's Nasty Burn Poster Child.) Also, authentic recipe napalm does NOT behave as you would expect it to. Even omitting the ********* chunks and powdered **********, ( Napalm B and Super Napalm respectively) and using just jellied naptha, "stuff" got out of hand real fast. In the movie Apocalypse Now that wasn't actual napalm they used, merely av-gas bombs. And the difference? (Just so you don't do this yourself, mind you.)

Way back in the seventies (in the height of the Vietnam War) in a little kid watching big kids get stupid situation these people I knew lived at the top of a hill and the road leading down hill was very wide, not busy at all and was behind most of the houses. And had no housing at all on the far side of the street.

Do you know why they don't make napalm hand grenades? You would be hard-pressed to throw it far enough is why. Of course a bunch of teen agers wouldn't know that.

So, while the guy's parents weren't home one evening he filled two baby food jars, and not the big, hand sized ones but those little 6 ounce ones. One with gasoline (a control) and one with jellied naptha.

We were on his second floor balcony and he hucked the gasoline jar into the middle of the street and it went off and burned just like you've seen in countless zombie movies. Made a puddle of fire about four feet across and burned out really quickly.

Then he threw the little jellied naptha jar. Hit the same spot as the first one.

It didn't make a puddle of fire, per se.

It hit the ground and sprayed out in a pattern of burning lines of fire an inch wide and all the radial spokes were at least twenty five feet long. Burning napalm spreads uphill! While at the impact point jumping streamers of burning goop were doing aerial arcs at least the same distance! This was nearly the entire width of the street!

Set three cars and the field across the street on fire.

They got in trouble. Yelled at and everything. (And oddly enough, no need for a permanent record!) Of course they said they were playing with fireworks...

So even six ounces of napalm is way too dangerous to play with.

And nobody has ever let me play with nitro or dynamite, so I don't have any of those stories of my own. (But I did know a hard rock turquoise miner who had colorful stories about dynamite.)

SkepticJ
2013-Jul-26, 11:04 PM
Naphtha, that's the problem right there! Joker used a fuel that's even more volatile than gasoline. Good thing he didn't have access to heptane.

Ara Pacis
2013-Jul-27, 06:24 AM
You don't want to make, then play with, either of those substances. (I'm the board's Nasty Burn Poster Child.) Also, authentic recipe napalm does NOT behave as you would expect it to. Even omitting the ********* chunks and powdered **********, ( Napalm B and Super Napalm respectively) and using just jellied naptha, "stuff" got out of hand real fast. In the movie Apocalypse Now that wasn't actual napalm they used, merely av-gas bombs. And the difference? (Just so you don't do this yourself, mind you.)

Oh, I wasn't with them when my friends tried those experiments, but I heard they scorched a slide on a playground where they tested it. I don't think he ever actually made any nitroglycerin. Of course, now I carry some with me wherever I go.

BigDon
2013-Jul-29, 03:47 PM
Trust me friend Ara,

Being on fire isn't nearly as entertaining as I make it out to be.

Fazor
2013-Jul-29, 07:45 PM
. . . I feel like I'm guilty of something just for reading this thread.

Solfe
2013-Jul-29, 11:59 PM
Joker used a fuel that's even more volatile than gasoline.

I know what that is all about. Here is the short version. When I was I kid, Mr. Wizard did this demo where he showed that gasoline flames would burn low in a glass container.

I had to try, but couldn't find any gasoline in the garage. So I used charcoal lighter fluid and a quart sized bottle. I can't say the match went into the bottle so much as provoked a response. This wicked white smoke came out with a howl. Burned my hands, my face, removed most of my hair, but the white howling smoke haunts me to this day.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Jul-31, 09:42 AM
Trust me friend Ara,

Being on fire isn't nearly as entertaining as I make it out to be.
I'll second that.

Tog
2013-Jul-31, 12:13 PM
I tell stories of my (tame by comparison) boyhood exposures to things like this to an older, female co-worker some times. She compares them with things her brothers did and finishes up with: "I'm amazed boys live."

I never played with fire, and most of gunpowder experiments were on the safe side. I did have some nice bike wrecks, though.

The cop who comes in here every now and then was telling me that a friend of his decided to make a really big firework by cutting open some model rocket motors. The key lesson there being don't cut open model rocket motors.