PDA

View Full Version : New Amazon reviews of Sibrel's video

AstroMike
2002-Jun-13, 08:42 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000059MCU/o/qid%3D989281711/sr%3D8-1/ref%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fv%5F1%5F1/103-9122795-5913426

Bad science at it's worst, June 11, 2002
Reviewer: mrbeankc from Overland Park, Kansas United States
You will never find a greater collection of bad science and outright lies than in this documentary. Shadows converging? Even my 12 year old figured out the reason for that but here in this documentary the makers couldn't. No stars in the pictures on the moon? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out either but here it's presented as proof of the moon landings being a hoax. Even their statement at the beginning of the documentary that states that 25% of the people in the US (based on a poll by Gallup) believe the moon landings are a hoax is not correct. Gallup has the poll on their website. The correct number was only 4% and you will find more than that believe Elvis is alive probably. Nothing but bad science and distortion. Hard to believe anyone with even the most basic understanding of science could swallow this fairy tale.

Not just nonsense, but dull nonsense, June 10, 2002
Reviewer: James Davis (see more about me) from Hillsborough, NC USA
I knew when I bought this bit of silliness that the science in it would be either suspect, or nonexistent, but I didn't expect it to be so breathtakingly boring. The FOX special, though equally bad from a science/logic standpoint, was at least fun to watch.

Mr. Simbrell has so many faults in his reasoning and film footage, that a review of all the errors would be longer than I care to write or that most people would care to read. Still, here are a few items that should provide some idea of how bad this tape is:

1. Twice, Simbrell, through the monotone narrator (if I could have watched it with the sound off, I would have), refers to the USSR having the first animal in space. This is true, of course, but the animal he shows in both cases is a chimp. The Soviet critter who was first in space was Laika - a dog. Footage of Laika is easily found. I've got at least two tapes with her in my own collection. Sloppy, lazy production.

2. Simbrell mentions that the USSR was the first program to accomplish a rendezvous in space. This is a questionable claim, since the rendezvous in question was really just two orbiting spacecraft flying several miles apart. Still, I'll give it to him. The problem is that the footage accompanying the claim is of a US rendezvous in the Gemini program. I suspect he had to use US footage because none exists of the Russian rendezvous (too far apart for pictures). Still, this is shoddy production.

3. The cornerstone of his claim is the usual one for "Moon-Landing Hoax" proponents: the Van Allen Belts are too dangerous to fly through. He claims heavy lead shielding would be necessary to protect the astronauts. Well, he's right about one thing - the radiation would be lethal to astronauts - if they were traveling naked outside their ship. The flaw in the reasoning is simple. All radiation is NOT created equally. The belts are NOT X-rays or other electromagnetic radiation. The radiation is PARTICLE radiation (which he acknowledges), which is much easier to shield against. Did we need shielding? Yes. Did it need to be thick lead? No.

There's plenty more to ridicule, but I'll let it go at that. I do have my own theory, however: Since all Simbrell's claims are so easily refuted by even a tiny understanding of science, I don't think even Mr. Simbrell believes this load of manure. He just hopes enough other people can be duped to make "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon" a good meal ticket for him.

Now, if you want to really learn something, including why hoax proponents claims are nonsense, order Phil Plaitt's book, "Bad Astronomy." It's an entertaining read, and you won't be wasting your time or money.

I guess there's more people out there who aren't fooled by Sibrel's crap than we think.

Donnie B.
2002-Jun-13, 08:55 PM
Well, two more, anyhow... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Jun-13, 09:37 PM
The second guy misspelled both my name and Mr. Sibrel's. I hope people can still find my book... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-13, 09:42 PM
On 2002-06-13 17:37, The Bad Astronomer wrote:
The second guy misspelled both my name and Mr. Sibrel's. I hope people can still find my book... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Yeah, but at least they didn't make you Sound, like a Simulation.

Just a Pla(i)tter! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZaphodBeeblebrox on 2002-06-13 17:44 ]</font>

JayUtah
2002-Jun-13, 10:25 PM
Simbrell [sic] mentions that the USSR was the first program to accomplish a rendezvous in space. This is a questionable claim, since the rendezvous in question was really just two orbiting spacecraft flying several miles apart.

It's more than just questionable. Rendezvous is useful only if followed by docking. The failure to dock omits the sine qua non of the rendezvous. Rendezvous sufficient to dock (repeatedly, even, as Gemini did) requires much more technical expertise compared to the merely somewhat coincident orbits achieved by the Soviets. I most certainly do not accept this is a case in which the Soviets beat the Americans.