PDA

View Full Version : Thankgiving ends....Christmas Season begins...Immediatly!

Vega115
2004-Nov-26, 01:26 AM
This is something i just can not fathom...how people can have their houses decked out in christmas gard...before Thanksgiving day ends.

Yes. You read that right. Some houses around me are already decked out for Christmas, when it is only 8:22 PM, Thankgiving Day.

Someone explain this to me, why people feel that they must decorate for christmas a full MONTH in advance. I feel like every year, xmas season starts sooner. Next year, itll be November 15th ish. In 2006, itll be Halloween. by 2010, i suspect that, itll be July 4th, and July 5th, we will be decorating for the big guy.

Don't get me wrong, I love xmas. Absolutely adore it! But I simply cant see the fun, the idea, or the simple point in decorating for christmas the day of or the day after Thanksgiving. Can someone explain why people do this?

Spacewriter
2004-Nov-26, 02:03 AM
Some of us don't decorate at all.

However, a bit of a sad story here. We live across the road from an older couple who deck their yard and house out every year with lights, Santa statues, sleighs, etc. They literally light up the corner from Thanksgiving until Christmas.

Well, this year it's dark over there because the wife has been in the hospital undergoing chemotherapy and the husband is tight by her side.

All things being equal, I'd rather have them home and lighting up the neighborhood.

:cry:

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Nov-26, 02:05 AM
It's worse in Canada. We don't have the Thanksgiving "barrier" in November. Christmas started just after Halloween around here.

Wolverine
2004-Nov-26, 02:55 AM
The grocery store here had some xmas decorations up before Halloween. They put lights up outside and even decorated the lampposts in the parking lot with tinsel and whatnot nearly two weeks ago.

I don't do xmas... Newtonmas is more my speed. :D

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-26, 03:20 AM
I heard Christmas music in a department store in September. That's about all I can really say about that without going insane.

Morrolan
2004-Nov-26, 05:49 AM
over here they deck out everything in Xmas decorations somewhere around the end of October... #-o this year the whole city is very big on foot-long yellow and red colored icicles with lights in them. hanging from the palm trees and other tropical forms of vegetation. :o it's 30+ degrees Celsius here... and rain season... and they have soap cannons outside the mall close to my place that spray fake snow up in the air every night from 8 pm... and people flock in from all over the city to let their kids play in it.... :cry: AAARGH! i'm going insane! 8-[

mickal555
2004-Nov-26, 06:34 AM
We don't have thanks giving.......

Careless
2004-Nov-27, 03:18 AM
It's worse in Canada. We don't have the Thanksgiving "barrier" in November. Christmas started just after Halloween around here.
It seemed to start then here, too this year, which is a first as far as I can tell. there have been christmas lights up here for a couple weeks now, as well

beskeptical
2004-Nov-27, 04:13 AM
I like having the lights up early. My neighbors just got theirs up today and the house looks like a gingerbread house.

I'll be trading my Halloween lights tomorrow for the Xmas ones. I thought I might just go for a year round cycle.

Xmas lights until New Years. All colors.
I haven't decided what to put up for January, maybe all white.
Maybe red for Feb.
Or, I could just go for some wintry color combination for both months.
Then Easter lights for March and April. Pink, yellow and lavender.
Then some summer combination for May and June.
For July I have red white and blue.
August and September are again undecided. Orange and yellow, I suppose.
I have a great bunch of flickering skeletons and purple lights for Halloween.
And, then it's Xmas again.

But, the shopping. Why does anyone shop on the day after T Day? The amount of money you might save, and who really knows since sales are mostly gimmicks anyway, isn't worth the extra time it takes in crowded stores. I hate crowded stores as much as I hate crowded streets.

Maksutov
2004-Nov-27, 08:32 AM
This is something i just can not fathom...how people can have their houses decked out in christmas gard...before Thanksgiving day ends.

Yes. You read that right. Some houses around me are already decked out for Christmas, when it is only 8:22 PM, Thankgiving Day.

Someone explain this to me, why people feel that they must decorate for christmas a full MONTH in advance. I feel like every year, xmas season starts sooner. Next year, itll be November 15th ish. In 2006, itll be Halloween. by 2010, i suspect that, itll be July 4th, and July 5th, we will be decorating for the big guy.

Don't get me wrong, I love xmas. Absolutely adore it! But I simply cant see the fun, the idea, or the simple point in decorating for christmas the day of or the day after Thanksgiving. Can someone explain why people do this?
You're behind the times there.

The xmas catalogs started appearing in the mail in August. Around here the xmas junk started appearing in the local department stores in September. The xmas street decorations were up before the end of October. The aggravating xmas muzak starting being piped into the local stores sometime during October. The let's outdo the Joneses Hallowe'en house decorations competition started at the end of September, and segued into the let's outdo the Joneses xmas house decorations competition right after Hallowe'en.

The best day in this entire season is December 26th, when one can reenter the stores without having xmas muzak crammed into one's ears.

Come to think of it, actually the best day of the season this year is December 21st, which marks the Winter Solstice, the day of ancient festivals that predate by thousands of years the religions that hijacked them, and is one of the shortest days of the year, therefore one of the ones with the most darkness for observing.

[edit/remove letter]

Tobin Dax
2004-Nov-27, 09:07 AM
But, the shopping. Why does anyone shop on the day after T Day? The amount of money you might save, and who really knows since sales are mostly gimmicks anyway, isn't worth the extra time it takes in crowded stores. I hate crowded stores as much as I hate crowded streets.

:D It was time to go buy new jeans and a new wintry coat this week, so I finally made it across town Wednesday, because it was then or never. The pants were on sale and I found coats for half off (and one in a good color in XXL, after a little searching). 8) To top it off, I haven't seen Sears that empty for the last few times I've been there, though this was the middle of the afternoon. But that's gotta be better than going today, with the sales I found and no wait at the cashier. :)

Enzp
2004-Nov-27, 09:55 AM
When you are young, two months is forever. Later in life, it is just eight weeks, not very long. It is now almost December, but hot weather was just a couple weeks ago to me. My mom used to carp about early Xmas stuff. I could never figure out why it was so important to her that no one act like Xmas existed until December. I have been Xmas shopping for quite a while already. I only have four weeks to get it all together for the holiday visits. That is only four weeks of an hour break here, a couple hours there, and fight the crowds on a weekend. By this time, I am already getting nervous that all my plans will come together in time.

Frankly, by Halloween, I am thinking Xmas is coming up fast. I have a bunch of people in my family to think about, adn I don't want to run out to the store with everyone else in mid December to find some generic gifts. "Oh this will be good enough for Sis, let's go home." I like to find interesting things for my friends and family. If I spot something cool in March, I get it and put it in my Xmas escrow in the closet.

So I am really Xmas shopping year round. By October I get serious because this week turns into next week faster than you think. It was just Monday, and now it is saturday and I haven't gotten anything done. But another week has passed.

We had snow wednesday, and I enjoyed seeing homes lit up. We had more Halloween lights in the area this year, and I expect more people to light their homes up for more things as time goes on. SOme folks leave lights out all the time - even summer. Xmas is coming, even if Thxgiving happens along the way. Unlike the football team that "takes them one game at a time" I don't see why I can't be thinking about more than one holiday at a time. I prepare for a vacation a few months in advance, why not holidays?

I think the bottom line question is: what is the fun, idea, or point of decorating the house at all? When you answere that, then you know. Because in the overall plan of it, Thanksgiving is irrelevant to it. WHat is the difference between the weekend before Thxgiving and the weekend after when it comes to lighting up the house? Seven days. Thanksgiving is just a four day break in the middle of my Xmas season.

Do you make New Years plans before Xmas? What's the point?

beskeptical
2004-Nov-29, 07:07 AM

:D It was time to go buy new jeans and a new wintry coat this week, so I finally made it across town Wednesday, because it was then or never. The pants were on sale and I found coats for half off (and one in a good color in XXL, after a little searching). 8) To top it off, I haven't seen Sears that empty for the last few times I've been there, though this was the middle of the afternoon. But that's gotta be better than going today, with the sales I found and no wait at the cashier. :)That's it! Shop on Wednesday before T-day. You clever man. :D And I'm always running to the crowded grocery store on Wed. I've been a fool.

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-29, 08:21 PM
I heard Christmas music in a department store in September. That's about all I can really say about that without going insane.

I know the feeling. When I was in Florida there weren't any "seasonal barriers" so they can start Christmas whenever they want. Up here in NY it at least begins to feel like winter before anyone started to decorate.

hewhocaves
2004-Nov-29, 09:34 PM
what you all don't realize is that all those stores have their lights up for Xmas, 2005!

Yes, they've lapped. It happened in the nineties.

Tobin Dax
2004-Nov-30, 05:49 AM

:D It was time to go buy new jeans and a new wintry coat this week, so I finally made it across town Wednesday, because it was then or never. The pants were on sale and I found coats for half off (and one in a good color in XXL, after a little searching). 8) To top it off, I haven't seen Sears that empty for the last few times I've been there, though this was the middle of the afternoon. But that's gotta be better than going today, with the sales I found and no wait at the cashier. :)That's it! Shop on Wednesday before T-day. You clever man. :D And I'm always running to the crowded grocery store on Wed. I've been a fool.

I really have to wonder if I'm being made fun of here. 8-[