PDA

View Full Version : The Incredibles!

Hale_Bopp
2004-Nov-26, 03:57 AM
Well, I just saw the incredibles tonight. Can't believe no one posted this little nugget yet. No, I am not nit picking a Pixar animated feature!

I just found it amusing that the villan, syndrome, got his power by tapping zero point energy. I think I was the only one in the theater that laughed at the reference :lol:

Rob

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Nov-26, 04:04 AM
Well, I just saw the incredibles tonight. Can't believe no one posted this little nugget yet. No, I am not nit picking a Pixar animated feature!

I just found it amusing that the villan, syndrome, got his power by tapping zero point energy. I think I was the only one in the theater that laughed at the reference :lol:

Rob

Yeah, me too ...

Of course, when I saw it, I was in the Theatre Alone; Well, with Three of My Friends, anyway.

Now, if Only One of Them, was a Woman ...

tuffel999
2004-Dec-01, 05:04 AM
Hey look when I saw it my fiance and I were the only ones there over 6 without kids. I had bigger issues going on than zero point energy!

Swift
2004-Dec-01, 03:07 PM
I did like the Zero Point energy and the whole film. The animation had a very retro feel, which I liked. The first third was a little slow. I'll need to see it again to pick out any BA, other bad science, and the hidden jokes that Pixar always sticks in (for example, in the original Toy, there is a shot of a bookshelf and the titles of the books are Pixar's films).

parallaxicality
2004-Dec-01, 05:56 PM
Best ever Pixar reference: The company selling Andy's house in Toy Story is called "Virtual Realty."

The zero-point energy comment aside, I don't think there was much science in The Incredibles. It was a fantasy.

Swift
2004-Dec-01, 08:26 PM
Best ever Pixar reference: The company selling Andy's house in Toy Story is called "Virtual Realty."
In Monster's Inc. at the end when Sully is saying good-bye to Boo in her room, she shows him a bunch of toys, including the cowgirl doll from Toy Story 2, a ball from one of Pixar's early shorts, and a Nemo doll (this was before Finding Nemo was even finished).

tracer
2004-Dec-02, 06:31 AM
I did like the Zero Point energy and the whole film.
Of course, Syndrome's "Zero-Point Energy" beam doesn't so much access the so-called zero-point or quantum-vacuum-flux energy as reduce to zero speed whomever Syndrom points at.

TriangleMan
2004-Dec-02, 12:17 PM
The zero-point energy comment aside, I don't think there was much science in The Incredibles. It was a fantasy.
I'll give it a try:

Bad Science: Mom and the kids jump from the exploding plane. Mom forms a parachute and rescues them by slowly decending into the ocean. After they land a huge chunk of the plane almost lands on them. How did they land before the wreckage of the plane? :-k

gethen
2004-Dec-02, 02:10 PM
Maybe that chunk actually blew upwards at first, then came down. O.K., it's lame but it's all I could think of.
I enjoyed the movie, but after all the raves about it in the critics' columns I was expecting to be rolling on the floor. It wasn't that good.

Swift
2004-Dec-02, 02:56 PM
Maybe that chunk actually blew upwards at first, then came down. O.K., it's lame but it's all I could think of.
I enjoyed the movie, but after all the raves about it in the critics' columns I was expecting to be rolling on the floor. It wasn't that good.
Yeah, that's right. It's better than most Hollywood slop, but among Pixar films, I'd say my favorites are still Toy Story and Monster's Inc. Some of the early shorts, like The Toy (on which Toy Story was based) are excellent.

iFire
2004-Dec-02, 05:25 PM
To what was the Zero-Pont refrence toward?

Humphrey
2004-Dec-02, 05:41 PM
Science?

iFire
2004-Dec-03, 04:59 PM
Oh, I thought it was toward another movie or something... heh... heh... *hides*

Edymnion
2004-Dec-08, 11:51 PM
To what was the Zero-Pont refrence toward?Zero Point energy is essentially the "free energy of the universe". When you cool something down to absolute zero, all molecular motion is supposed to stop. Thats what Absolute Zero is. But, when you actually reach absolute zero, the molecules do not completely stop, they still vibrate in place just a little bit. Thing is, its Absolute Zero, there should not be ANY energy left in those molecules to be able to vibrate. Hence, there must be some other energy source out there that keeps those molecules moving when all our science says they should have stopped cold (literally).

Thing is, the amount of energy we're talking here is so absurdly small, it might as well not exist. You'd have to tap half the matter in the galaxy to get enough zero point energy to do what Syndrome was doing.

mickal555
2004-Dec-09, 03:14 AM
For the last week of school we all got to see it. The day before it came out. It was good better than I expected at least. But we all got socked on the way and the cinima is airconed so we all froze.

John Dlugosz
2004-Dec-10, 04:12 PM
But we all got socked on the way

What?

mickal555
2004-Dec-10, 04:28 PM
Socked I mean covered in DHMO

John Dlugosz
2004-Dec-10, 04:51 PM
Socked I mean covered in DHMO
Wouldn't that be "soaked"?

mickal555
2004-Dec-10, 05:08 PM
Thats the word sorry.....

Ilya
2005-Jun-01, 01:55 AM
Finally got to see "The Incredibles" -- on DVD. The best reference, IMO, is the US government agent responsibel for preserving the superheroes' anonymity -- "forge documents, erase memories, that sort of things". He is obviously Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) from "Men in Black", and one of the DVD extras, called "Jack-Jack Attack", makes him even more obvious. He erases the babysitter's memory by pointing a little red light at her, exactly like in "Men in Black"... and a miniature plunger flies out of the device and sticks to the babysitter's forehead. (Presumably it sucks out her memories of the superbaby.)

Did the theater release include that scene?

Nowhere Man
2005-Jun-01, 02:40 AM
"Jack-Jack Attack" wasn't shown in the theaters. The short about the bouncing sheep was.

OTOH, is the segment of Mr. Incredible trying to get into his new outfit ("Maybe just a salad!") in its proper place on the DVD? Or is it just in the trailers?

Fred

Kizarvexis
2005-Jun-01, 03:35 AM
"Jack-Jack Attack" wasn't shown in the theaters. The short about the bouncing sheep was.

OTOH, is the segment of Mr. Incredible trying to get into his new outfit ("Maybe just a salad!") in its proper place on the DVD? Or is it just in the trailers?

Fred

It's just in the trailers. It was the first trailer, IIRC. I like how Pixar doesn't spoil the movie in the early trailers, but does let some character come through.

I think Brad Bird (writer, director and voice of E) got a little caught up in the ZPE woo2-ness on the net when he was making the movie. He said in the bonus materials that it was something we are working on, like we'll be able to do something with it someday.

I though Incredibles was great, but then I'm a long time comic buff. We are also a nuclear family, minus a Jack Jack, and everyone could identify with a character. In relation to the Jack Jack short, my wife and I think Kari did pretty awesome with Jack Jack and we would hire her to babysit. :)

Kizarvexis

CJSF
2005-Jun-01, 11:33 AM
I think Brad Bird (writer, director and voice of E) got a little caught up in the ZPE woo2-ness on the net when he was making the movie.

I'm not following that sentence... ZPE? voice of E? Woo on the net?

CJSF :-?

Fram
2005-Jun-01, 11:41 AM
I think Brad Bird (writer, director and voice of E) got a little caught up in the ZPE woo2-ness on the net when he was making the movie.

What I think Kizarvexis means it that on the (inter)net, there are a lot of woo-woo's going on about Zero Point Energy and the unlimited possibilities it gives, and that Brad Bird somehow believed it all to be true.
E is one of the characters in the movie the Incredibles, I suppose (unless he means that e of Eels (the band) is actually Brad Bird, which I doubt :wink: ).

Kemal
2005-Jun-01, 12:00 PM
Is not zero point energy just theoretical for now?

Nowhere Man
2005-Jun-01, 12:02 PM
"ZPE" is zero-point energy. "E" refers to super-suit maker Edna Mode.

Fred

mickal555
2005-Jun-01, 01:04 PM
She was so cool :D

Zeropint energy exists- it just excists in a way in which you can't actually use it. (I think)

Darasen
2005-Jun-01, 05:58 PM
Best Pixar movie yet. Imho.
I like the line about how we celebrate mediocrity it is so true.

<off topic> Sad that Pixar movies are so much better than the tripe Disney animation puts out anymore. </off topic>

Humphrey
2005-Jun-01, 07:19 PM
If you guys like the director. Watch "Iron Giant" another fantastic animated movie by the same guy.

Van Rijn
2005-Jun-01, 07:55 PM
"Incredibles" was a great movie. Aside from the superhero bit, I loved the sendup of '60s secret agent movies, music, and fictional hardware. I suspect the island in "Our Man Flint" was the starting point for the island base, there was the "flying sub," and the rockets looked suspiciously like some of Von Braun's ideas. (http://www.starships.com/SF_Image69.HTML)

Kizarvexis
2005-Jun-02, 02:44 AM

What I think Kizarvexis means it that on the (inter)net, there are a lot of woo-woo's going on about Zero Point Energy and the unlimited possibilities it gives, and that Brad Bird somehow believed it all to be true.
E is one of the characters in the movie the Incredibles, I suppose (unless he means that e of Eels (the band) is actually Brad Bird, which I doubt :wink: ).

Got in one, Fram.

E (Edna Mode) was hilarious and stole every scene she was in.

Kizarvexis

DataCable
2005-Jun-02, 04:37 AM
E (Edna Mode) was hilarious and stole every scene she was in.
Of course she did... she was sleeping with the director. 8)

Swift
2005-Jun-02, 01:49 PM
If you guys like the director. Watch "Iron Giant" another fantastic animated movie by the same guy.
Yes, a big second for that!

Metricyard
2005-Jun-03, 04:06 AM
The Incredibles definitely goes down as one of my favorite films.

Just about everything was well done. Even silly little scenes. For example, when Frozone and Mr. Incredible were talking in the car. The characters had, well, character.

Edna Mode was by far the best in the movie. "No Capes!"

And the little kid on his tricycle. Just thought that was a cute addition.

Of course, Jack-Jack Attack cracks me up every time I watch it.

Physics wise, I think they( the animators) did a bang up job as far as mass/motion is concerned. A few nit picks (Like the ZPE) but nothing to go on and boycott the movie over.

gopher65
2005-Jun-03, 01:36 PM
Iron Giant was awesome:). One of my favorite cartoon moments (it is not a 3-D animated movie) is when the giant runs and jumps into the lake, and the giant tsunami wave is building. LOL. It looked awesome:).

Very cool movie. And I love the incredibles too (I own both movies).

CJSF
2005-Jun-03, 04:34 PM
"ZPE" is zero-point energy. "E" refers to super-suit maker Edna Mode.

Fred

#-o OK, I knew that! It's also one of my favorite movies... just shows you what lack of sleep and too much work does to you.

CJSF

P.S.
Iron Giant is also one of the most awesomely awesome movies ever.

Ripper 2.0
2005-Jun-08, 03:17 AM
E would be my first pick of characters I would date. Not that I am not intrigued by the possibilities Elastigirl offers, but E is funny, dynamic, and lets not forget filthy rich.

Another Phobos
2005-Jun-21, 02:25 PM
There was actually some evidence of GOOD astronomy in the movie...

In the opening chase scene with Bomb Voyage, the night sky was free of stars due to the city lights whereas later on Syndrome's island, far from city lights, the night sky was full of stars. (Contrast this to a movie like Toy Story where the stars blazed through the city lights...although to a lesser degree than in darker skies.)

Potential nitpick...I'll have to watch it again, but I assume they probably puts lots of visible stars around a bright moon.