PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2 and Unreal Astronomy

PhantomWolf
2004-Nov-27, 07:37 AM
heh, I've only just watched the opening scene and already am seeing BA in it. The openning starts with a planet that has at least two moons, one of which is nearly half the size of the planet itself. It fills the sky on the first level. A second one, perhaps about the same size as our own, or a little smaller and closer sits between the planet and the gaint moon.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it'd seem that with the size of the giant moon, the small one would never have formed, it'd be at most a ring more likely craters ;) The tides on the planet would be terrible too. As to how the giant moon would have formed..... :o

I'm sure there'll be more to come as I head through it. ;)

PhantomWolf
2004-Nov-30, 09:34 AM
Well sure enough....

While it has a really good story line, they really screwed up on the Astronomy and considering it's sort of a space based game....

Back to the moons at the start, I missed this the first time. They are directly ahead of your ship, the sun is directly behind. How then are they in a half phase?

Unfortunately things didn't get greatly better in their scales with your drop ship being dropped to a frozen moon that was right above a massive gas giant, closer than Io is to Jupiter, and an escape pod ejecting from a ship that was seconds from hitting a star, the pod somehow then apparently making it through several systems.

There is a little bit of shocking science to, at one point Aida remarks about the "Ionised Plasma Gas." Ummmm, isn't all plasma ionised? Isn't that what plasma is, atoms stripped of their electrons?

I'm sure there is more too, but the storyline does cover it. They did have good moments to. I especially liked how the Dropship glowed red from the heat as it entered the atmosphere.

All in all, if you like FPS games and you haven't played it, I'd have to recommend it, just be prepared for some BA and a sad (as in teary) ending.

Maksutov
2004-Nov-30, 10:00 AM
There is a little bit of shocking science to, at one point Aida remarks about the "Ionised Plasma Gas." Ummmm, isn't all plasma ionised? Isn't that what plasma is, atoms stripped of their electrons?[edit]
Aida? Well, then it's a space opera and anything goes! 8)

They did a bloody poor job on the plasma bit, though.

mid
2004-Nov-30, 10:37 AM
"Ionised Plasma Gas."

Wow, tautology AND an oxymoron, all in three words. Impressive.