PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful non-technological beings (not enhanced by technologies)?

Inclusa
2013-Aug-17, 09:48 AM
By this, I mean non-technologically improved beings, be it fantastic superpower or magic.
I don't know if X-men is included there.
Superman is highly technologically improved, I believe.

JohnD
2013-Aug-17, 10:46 AM
A god?
John

Hlafordlaes
2013-Aug-17, 12:00 PM
As for the real-life contenders, I'll go with the largest meat-eaters in South America in the Cretaceous. In comics, with no tech involved (at least when the comics first came out,) I'd take Thor.

KaiYeves
2013-Aug-17, 02:21 PM
I believe Superman isn't canonically the result of technological enhancement, just normal Kryptonian evolution, but I'm not familiar with all the details of the newest DC reboot, so that might have changed.

JustAFriend
2013-Aug-17, 06:40 PM
It's only the last Superman movie that put the Kryptonians as engineered. All the other origins going back to the 1930s have them powered by our yellow sun and lesser gravity.

To go back to your original question, probably something like the Q from Star Trek.
Although Trelane "The Squire of Gothos" from the original series was technologically helped with the mechanisms behind the mirror of his castle.

Chuck
2013-Aug-17, 09:06 PM
I thought the Q got their abilities from technology.

Inclusa
2013-Aug-18, 03:32 AM
Thor is divine in nature; no doubt about his powers.
I don't know if Dragonball characters have the highest energy level, though; they seem to be able to blow up planets (overcoming the total gravity of planets) even when their energy level is modestly high. (Early Dragonball Z).
Other mangas/animes don't boast such energy level though. The line is: In Dragonball, even several superearths aren't enough for their fights. (A room that can stand more damages than planets? That's very bizarre indeed.)

novaderrik
2013-Aug-18, 07:56 AM
I thought the Q got their abilities from technology.

nope.. they are for all practical intents and purposes gods.. same with the Prophets from DS9.

Solfe
2013-Aug-18, 02:52 PM
"Your race hasn't even reached Type 1 on the Kardashev scale. It doesn't control the resources of this one planet, let alone a solar system or a galaxy. The Time Lords were the Type 4 civilization. We had no equals. We controlled the fundamental forces of the entire universe. Nothing could communicate with us on our level. Most races pray to lesser beings than the Time Lords." Doctor Who.

They do use tech, but by the same standard they* burn the Doctor's body because it is so perfect.

*Yeah, that has enough spoilers and non-information for now. :)

SkepticJ
2013-Aug-18, 05:44 PM
Dr. Manhattan, from the Watchmen comic.

SkepticJ
2013-Aug-18, 06:02 PM
It's only the last Superman movie that put the Kryptonians as engineered. All the other origins going back to the 1930s have them powered by our yellow sun and lesser gravity.

Right.

In his first incarnation (post-villain stage), Superman couldn't even fly; he could only jump really high. Which is where the line, "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound . . ." came from. If you can fly, that's not really noteworthy, is it?

Krel
2013-Aug-18, 07:25 PM
Although Trelane "The Squire of Gothos" from the original series was technologically helped with the mechanisms behind the mirror of his castle.

The machine was just another one of Trelane's toys. If you will remember, the loss of the machine didn't diminish his powers, he was an energy being like his parents.

David.

Chuck
2013-Aug-18, 07:35 PM
It looked like the loss of one machine temporarily knocked him out but he said on his return that that wasn't his only instrumentation, or something like that.

Chuck
2013-Aug-19, 01:48 AM
The Organians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organian) from Star Trek appear to have no technology of any kind. Also, strangely enough, no organs.

Inclusa
2013-Aug-19, 02:49 AM
The Organians from Star Trek appear to have no technology of any kind. Also, strangely enough, no organs.

This fact would renders them immune to physical, but they won't do anything physical, either.

Solfe
2013-Aug-19, 04:57 AM
I thought of another two from sci-fi:

In the Star Wars novels there are Yuuzhan Vong who use biology instead of technology and they want to take over everything, both Empire and the New Republic.
In Star Trek there is species Species 8472. Same concept as the Vong, but they especially hate the Borg.

The Morlocks in the X-men series (circa 1980's) seem to have the power to take over the world if they only tried. For whatever reason they never even think of it and go off to hide in the NYC subways. They also dressed like Mad Max characters, so maybe they were all crazy.

There are several species in Farscape that would fit this bill: Mobius and John Crichton would count. John seems to be able to whistle up wormholes for fun. He has this great speech that he gives as a wormhole is stirs up the surrounding space: "OK, boy and girls, here are the rules. Find a penny, pick it up. Double it, you got two pennies. Double it again, four. Double it twenty-seven times and you've got a million dollars... Round and round and round it goes. Where it stops no one knows..." Add in the fact that he deadpans the whole speech and is only doing because the atom bomb around his neck isn't enough boom for him and you know he's gone crazy. Stark also seems to be very powerful and but too lost to use it.