PDA

View Full Version : Space travel

Jrodens
2002-Jun-14, 02:26 AM
I believe that I got this from George Gamow's One Two Three . . . Infinity, but I was wondering the fesibility of this. If there was a vessel of some sort that could produce an enourmous magnetic field. On the front of the ship would be a generator that could produce a magnetic charge that would attract stuff to the front of the ship. On the other side (the 'back') would be a repulsive force. Now if the forces were strong enough the vessel would bring space towards it that was in front of it and push space away in the back thereby giving the allusion that the ship was traveling fast. Could this possibly work. The only trouble I've found is that it would take more power than the sun has made in its entire lifetime. Other than that... Thanks

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-14, 02:41 AM
Ah Yes, Warp Drive.

The only problem, aside from the Energy Requirements, of course, is that we Currently, have no Way of Generating The Negative Energy Necessary, for the Rear-End, to Work.

That, and even if we can Surmount the Above Problems, Einstein still rears his Mop-Topped Head, because Thanks to your Faster than Light, Speed, you have have no way of Stopping, the Front-End, Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!

traztx
2002-Jun-14, 02:15 PM
I think ACME makes one of those magnets. The problem is you'll end up with a ship with large appliances and anvils stuck to the front end /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
--Tommy

nebularain
2002-Jun-14, 11:36 PM
On 2002-06-13 22:41, ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:
Ah Yes, Warp Drive.

The only problem, aside from the Energy Requirements, of course, is that we Currently, have no Way of Generating The Negative Energy Necessary, for the Rear-End, to Work.

Unless, of couse, you have an Improbability Drive - eh Zaphod? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Wiley
2002-Jun-14, 11:52 PM
On 2002-06-14 19:36, nebularain wrote:

On 2002-06-13 22:41, ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:
Ah Yes, Warp Drive.

Unless, of couse, you have an Improbability Drive - eh Zaphod? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ah, but then you run into this nasty combination of Bertrand's and Russell's Paradoxes (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1474&forum=2&start=0).

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif