PDA

View Full Version : Funny, Bad Science

Solfe
2013-Aug-20, 04:38 AM
I can't help but notice that there is a lot of funny, bad science on TV lately. I like the series of AT&T commercials with the children.

A man asks the children about the biggest thing they can think of and there is a chorus of answers leading up to:

"Infinity!"
"Infinity plus infinity!"

There is a beat before the last child says "Infinity times infinity!" The man makes this gesture like his mind has been blown.

Cracks me up every time. The look on that guys face is classic.

novaderrik
2013-Aug-20, 11:03 AM
can't remember what they were for, but i liked the commercials where they would promise the kids something really awesome and then withhold it from them to prove a point about something being unfair... the looks on the kid's faces were priceless, and you just know they were traumatized and lost a little bit of trust in adults during the filming of those commercials... that's what "reality tv" is all about..

Swift
2013-Aug-20, 12:53 PM
I can't help but notice that there is a lot of funny, bad science on TV lately. I like the series of AT&T commercials with the children.

A man asks the children about the biggest thing they can think of and there is a chorus of answers leading up to:

"Infinity!"
"Infinity plus infinity!"

There is a beat before the last child says "Infinity times infinity!" The man makes this gesture like his mind has been blown.

Cracks me up every time. The look on that guys face is classic.
I love that entire series of commercials. There was an early one about slow vs. fast where the little boy talks about strapping a cheetah to his grandma to speed her up and the guy goes "you've given this a lot of thought".

SeanF
2013-Aug-20, 01:38 PM
I love that entire series of commercials. There was an early one about slow vs. fast where the little boy talks about strapping a cheetah to his grandma to speed her up and the guy goes "you've given this a lot of thought".
I like those commercials, too - that actor's delivery in interacting with those kids is perfect. I think my favorite is when the little girl gives some rambling explanation, and the man says, "Well, when you put it like that, it makes perfect sense."

Tog
2013-Aug-20, 03:43 PM
My favorite is the kid going on about whatever it is and the little blond girl in the next chair wants to say something. The guy put up his hand to shush her and said "just a minute, I'm listening." The look of pure rage that flashes over the blond girl's face is both adorable and chilling. I think the girl talking was going on about wolves, but I'm not sure.

Solfe
2013-Aug-20, 03:46 PM
That guy is awesome.

PetersCreek
2013-Aug-20, 05:05 PM
I really like that series of "It's Not Complicated" commercials, too. I think they're far smarter than your average ad. Too often these days...and it's a peeve of mine...the ad industry tends to portray the customers as buffoons. I like that even though the children are being, well, children...that is, fanciful and deligtfully silly...the still come out looking smarter than the adult corporate character.

NEOWatcher
2013-Aug-20, 05:38 PM
Too often these days...and it's a peeve of mine...the ad industry tends to portray the customers as buffoons.
I'm not sure, but to me I take it the opposite as you do. To me, I feel like they are telling me "you must be stupider than these little kids if you don't understand by now?"

Although; maybe it's my overall dislike for the template of putting dogs and kids in a commercial for emotional purposes only.

Solfe
2013-Aug-21, 01:03 AM
Amusing commercials might be AT&T only viable service, so pulling heart strings is cool. Now if they want your money for some product or service and you agreed, that would be something different.

Solfe
2013-Sep-12, 01:51 PM
Big Bang Theory is great:

Koothrappali: Of course you feel terrible, you completely screwed up your karma dude!
Sheldon: You don’t really believe in that superstition, do you?
Raj: It’s not superstition, it’s practically Newtonian.

This one isn't so much science as comedy gold for Kunal Nayyar's (Koothrappali) ability to use slang to good effect while accented. If you know the Karma bit, the part I left out (for squeaky cleanness) is even better.