PDA

View Full Version : Ben Affeck to be Batman in the 'Man of Steel' sequel...Doing a clooney?

Concerned
2013-Aug-23, 10:34 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/08/22/ben-affleck-will-play-batman-in-new-movie/?intcmp=features

I remember daredevil, it was Okay, but, batman?

Concerned
2013-Aug-23, 10:40 AM
On second thought, I think it could work :)

Concerned
2013-Aug-23, 01:02 PM
Kinda regretting the title of this thread, can we cut out the last bit following ...?

Hlafordlaes
2013-Aug-23, 01:08 PM
Bring back the real (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2l4bz1FT8U) Superman! We need a George Reeves clone.

SeanF
2013-Aug-23, 01:19 PM
So, Matt Damon's playing Robin.

Right?

:)

SeanF
2013-Aug-23, 01:21 PM
Bring back the real (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2l4bz1FT8U) Superman! We need a George Reeves clone.
Wait, did you do that on purpose? If so, good one. :clap:

Gillianren
2013-Aug-23, 03:53 PM
Given what they're doing with Batman, or saying they're going to, it could be interesting. Ben Affleck can act; I've seen him do it. (His performance in Dogma is surprisingly good, for example.) Unfortunately, I don't think Zack Snyder is the director to get a good performance out of him. I'd love to see what several other directors could do, including Herzog and Spielberg. And the site where I get most of my pop culture news pointed out that he as a director is very good at getting that performance out of others, so why not just have him direct? Which to be honest, I suspect is part of his plan for the whole thing. He is, apparently, a comic book fan and would probably love the chance to direct a superhero movie.

Concerned
2013-Aug-23, 04:30 PM
Given what they're doing with Batman, or saying they're going to, it could be interesting. Ben Affleck can act; I've seen him do it.

:rofl:

He was good in Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob. Chasing Amy?

Solfe
2013-Aug-24, 12:00 AM
I do like Ben Affleck, but you guys are cracking me up.

Concerned
2013-Aug-24, 12:53 AM
I just keeping thinking daredevil, but, my understanding is that Affleck will play an older batman, probably a bit worn and rough around the edges, might be good. I do think their making superman slightly darker than it used to be. Christian Bale would have been the preferred choice, surely, I just have trouble seeing how affleck can pull this off. I wonder, will he use his voice, or copy bale with a growl? I don't think Affleck has the voice to be batman. I hope he doesn't use his daredevil voice, sort of low and husky http://youtu.be/xicwgXHSVV8.

Concerned
2013-Aug-24, 01:01 AM
Keeps getting better http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/slideshow/2013/08/23/worst-on-screen-superheroes-all-time/?intcmp=features#slide=1.

Concerned
2013-Aug-24, 01:03 AM
I liked how in the YouTube link I posted here, to the daredevil clip, someone's actually added a comment begging affleck to get it right. I'm sure ill end up eating my words and the movie will be fantastic :)

Parrothead
2013-Aug-24, 05:08 PM
LOL! The Matt Damon as Robin, I heard a few times, since the announcement. It all depends, I guess on script, the director being able to get a performance out of Affleck, as Affleck can act. One of those wait and see cases.

I also seem to recall the immediate backlash when it was first announced Daniel Craig would be stepping into the role of "James Bond": "He won't be any good.", "OMG, a blond Bond.", etc. He quickly became a fan favourite in the role, has put his stamp on the role, two of his three outings have had great stories to back it up.

starcanuck64
2013-Aug-24, 07:16 PM
I'd prefer Simon Helberg.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMdxOgs6Dt8

SeanF
2013-Aug-24, 07:41 PM
I also seem to recall the immediate backlash when it was first announced Daniel Craig would be stepping into the role of "James Bond": "He won't be any good.", "OMG, a blond Bond.", etc. He quickly became a fan favourite in the role, has put his stamp on the role, two of his three outings have had great stories to back it up.
As I recall, the announcement that Heath Ledger was going to play the Joker wasn't exactly met with unanimous applause, either.

Solfe
2013-Aug-24, 08:00 PM
I propose a solution. Can you script a movie without the line:

"I'm Batman!"?

Gillianren
2013-Aug-25, 03:05 AM

Or Heath Ledger as the Joker? That one has convinced me to give people chances I wouldn't ordinarily. Oh, I'm still usually right about my initial response, but I scoffed pretty seriously about the idea of that guy from 10 Things I Hate About You and A Knight's Tale being any good at all.

And wouldn't Casey Affleck be more likely to be Robin?

SeanF
2013-Aug-26, 08:47 PM
Seen on Twitter:

"A Wonder Woman movie would be too big a financial risk! We've decided to go with a proven moneymaker: A Ben Affleck superhero movie!"

Concerned
2013-Aug-26, 10:19 PM
Seen on Twitter:

Concerned
2013-Aug-26, 10:28 PM
There are now petitions to get Ben Affleck removed from the role as batman http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/76854-ben-affleck-is-batman-the-world-is-not-happy, apparently, a petition has also been made to the whitehouse to stop him from playing batman for the next 200 years :rofl:

Gillianren
2013-Aug-27, 12:31 AM
These petitions to the White House are often just silly. I'm quite sure that the White House won't do anything about it--and if they tried, it would violate a provision in the Constitution that laws cannot be passed that only apply to one person.

Delvo
2013-Aug-27, 01:38 AM
The main use of those direct petitions to the White House is that the White House has said they'll respond to any that get at least a minimum number of "signatures", including the obviously silly ones, and including giving obviously silly responses. Their explanation of why they're not going to build a Death Star was amusing.

SeanF
2013-Aug-27, 01:27 PM
These petitions to the White House are often just silly. I'm quite sure that the White House won't do anything about it--and if they tried, it would violate a provision in the Constitution that laws cannot be passed that only apply to one person.
It would almost certainly violate the First Amendment, as well. :)

Solfe
2013-Aug-27, 02:11 PM
I am absolutely convinced that the White House petition website is designed as some sort of trial by fire for White House interns. The things people ask for vary between misunderstanding of the role of the office of the President and a complete misunderstanding of the world.

I had a petition that was pure crack-pottery (it was political, just never mind) just to see if they let all crackpots use the page. They do.

Doodler
2013-Aug-28, 12:53 AM
Or Heath Ledger as the Joker? That one has convinced me to give people chances I wouldn't ordinarily. Oh, I'm still usually right about my initial response, but I scoffed pretty seriously about the idea of that guy from 10 Things I Hate About You and A Knight's Tale being any good at all.

And wouldn't Casey Affleck be more likely to be Robin?

The one film by Ledger I'd seen before The Dark Knight was The Patriot, which convinced me that he had the skills to handle himself in the big leagues. A Knight's Tale wasn't even trying to take itself seriously.

Solfe
2013-Aug-28, 01:50 AM
A Knight's Tale wasn't even trying to take itself seriously.

A Knight's Tale is fun just for that reason. I loved the soundtrack. AC/DC, Queen, Bowie. Just when you think it can't get any odder, they jump you with the dancing, the wave and the armor swoosh.

Gillianren
2013-Aug-28, 04:57 AM
I saw it in the theatre with a large group from my local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronisms. Most of us had more accurate costumes, a point driven home by the big, dramatic shot at the end, where the camera circles Our Hero as he kisses the girl at last.

From the row in front of me: "Oh, my god!"

Me: "What?"

"Zipper!"

Second circle past her back.

"Oh, my god!"

Tog
2013-Aug-28, 07:51 AM
The way I heard A Knight's Tale described when it came out was that it was basically a sport's movie from 600 years ago. Nothing about it was meant to be historically accurate. It was just an excuse to show cool scenes of guys getting knocked off horses to classic rock soundtracks. Taken that way, I think it did what it set out to do.

As for Affleck as Batman, I read an opinion piece that said the film is mean to be later in batman's life, when he's well past his prime and has known defeat. It then went on to compare that idea to Affleck's career. He started essentially on the top, so any marginal thing he did after would be seen as a failure in comparison. The writer went on to say that if Affleck can tap into that part of himself, he won't even have to act all that much because he's lived it. The writer also said that to his credit, Affleck kept plugging away rather than give up.

He made some good points, and I'll reserve any real opinion until I see something that's actually been shot.

That said, his name on the poster has never been a reason for me to see a movie.

Concerned
2013-Aug-29, 01:18 PM
The way I heard A Knight's Tale described when it came out was that it was basically a sport's movie from 600 years ago. Nothing about it was meant to be historically accurate. It was just an excuse to show cool scenes of guys getting knocked off horses to classic rock soundtracks. Taken that way, I think it did what it set out to do.

As for Affleck as Batman, I read an opinion piece that said the film is mean to be later in batman's life, when he's well past his prime and has known defeat. It then went on to compare that idea to Affleck's career. He started essentially on the top, so any marginal thing he did after would be seen as a failure in comparison. The writer went on to say that if Affleck can tap into that part of himself, he won't even have to act all that much because he's lived it. The writer also said that to his credit, Affleck kept plugging away rather than give up.

He made some good points, and I'll reserve any real opinion until I see something that's actually been shot.

That said, his name on the poster has never been a reason for me to see a movie.

I've decided Affleck might me a fresh new take on Batman, all the best to him. I hope he makes the role his own and tries something new. Christian Bales growl was cool, but, maybe time to drop that. I hope he comes up with something cool, an older batman, drainers tired and still plugin away sounds pretty good. Much like the Batman dark knight returns story.

Concerned
2013-Aug-29, 01:19 PM
He's got the chin for it.

Nick Theodorakis
2013-Aug-29, 02:40 PM
.. Christian Bales growl was cool, but, maybe time to drop that. I hope he comes up with something cool, an older batman, drainers tired and still plugin away sounds pretty good. Much like the Batman dark knight returns story.

Kevin Conroy's voice for Batman in the animated series was fairly gravelly, and he did it long before Bale (and much better, IMO).

Nick

Concerned
2013-Aug-29, 10:59 PM
Kevin Conroy's voice for Batman in the animated series was fairly gravelly, and he did it long before Bale (and much better, IMO).

Nick

True

Solfe
2013-Aug-30, 02:27 AM
I saw it in the theatre with a large group from my local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronisms. Most of us had more accurate costumes, a point driven home by the big, dramatic shot at the end, where the camera circles Our Hero as he kisses the girl at last.

From the row in front of me: "Oh, my god!"

Me: "What?"

"Zipper!"

Second circle past her back.

"Oh, my god!"

I can't for the life of me figure out why one would put a zipper on any period clothing, except for maybe some really plain pants. Period stuff is a nightmare to get in and out of and "modern" adaptions either simply don't work or can't work. I have a quilted gamberson for a suit a chain that has really big riveted leather loops for lacing, velcro or zippers just don't cut it. I don't know if that is realistic, but it was the only tool I had on hand to get the job done.

Having said that, I have a feeling that almost nothing in Shannyn Sossamon's outfits were period. Maybe inspired, but definitely not meant to be mistaken for something realistic.

Gillianren
2013-Aug-30, 03:02 AM
I can't for the life of me figure out why one would put a zipper on any period clothing, except for maybe some really plain pants. Period stuff is a nightmare to get in and out of and "modern" adaptions either simply don't work or can't work. I have a quilted gamberson for a suit a chain that has really big riveted leather loops for lacing, velcro or zippers just don't cut it. I don't know if that is realistic, but it was the only tool I had on hand to get the job done.

Generally, I've seen it as zippers down the backs of dresses/at the tops of skirts. I hate putting in zippers anyway, so my usual solution for dresses is just making the dress big enough to slip over my head without it. For skirts, I alter the waistband so that it doesn't fasten that way; the only garb skirts I own that require fasteners of any kind are my Elizabethan ones. You can't seen the back of the underskirt, so it doesn't matter if it gapes a bit, and the overskirt fastens with two hooks at the top of the front, leaving the entire rest of the front open as is period-appropriate. In the case of this dress, zipper running all down her back.

Having said that, I have a feeling that almost nothing in Shannyn Sossamon's outfits were period. Maybe inspired, but definitely not meant to be mistaken for something realistic.

Yeah, the observation was also made at one point that she appeared to have stolen Audrey Hepburn's Breakfast at Tiffany's hat.

Back on topic, I think it entirely possible that Kevin Conroy was the best actor ever to play Batman. He may well be the only one to have done a good job as both Batman and Bruce Wayne, which is the most difficult part of the role.

Chloe79
2013-Aug-30, 09:50 AM
I propose a solution. Can you script a movie without the line:

"I'm Batman!"?

Unfortunately I don't think they can. Apparently they need Batman to explain the most obvious thing ever.

I like his casting, shame he'll have to get rid of his beard (unless, batbeard?)

I still think this film's biggest hurdle is Zack Snyder. He is an awful director.

Infinity Watcher
2013-Aug-30, 04:00 PM
I like his casting, shame he'll have to get rid of his beard (unless, batbeard?)

For some reason this gave me the mental image of Brian Blessed playing Batman... and come to think of it... that might not be the worst direction Hollywood could go with the series...

Gillianren
2013-Aug-30, 04:55 PM
He has lost weight recently. And anyway he could just shout the criminals into submission!

HenrikOlsen
2013-Sep-01, 03:08 PM
For some reason this gave me the mental image of Brian Blessed playing Batman... and come to think of it... that might not be the worst direction Hollywood could go with the series...
After seeing him as Augustus1, I believe he can play almost anything.

And he wouldn't have to shout, just raise his voice a bit.

1) With Patrick Steward with hair

Gillianren
2013-Sep-01, 04:13 PM
And he wouldn't have to shout, just raise his voice a bit.

No, he wouldn't have to shout, but what's the fun in that? Of course, his "raising his voice a bit" is a shout in a lesser man.

Noclevername
2013-Sep-03, 12:27 AM

That... is the coolest casting idea ever.

"Robin... DIIIIIIVE!"

Delvo
2013-Sep-06, 03:17 AM
Commissioner Gordon's alive?!

SeanF
2013-Sep-06, 01:22 PM
Did anybody else hear Brian Blessed's voice and Queen's music when reading this, or was it just me? :)

Concerned
2013-Sep-06, 01:47 PM
Did anybody else hear Brian Blessed's voice and Queen's music when reading this, or was it just me? :)

I had a mental image of a hawk man, and got as far as 'flash ah ha'.

Solfe
2013-Sep-06, 07:45 PM

Nope, Lady Gaga got him.

Concerned
2013-Sep-06, 08:57 PM
Nope, Lady Gaga got him.