PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel - We All Do It

mkline55
2013-Aug-26, 06:34 PM
I seem to be caught in a time flow that moves only at a constant pace. No matter what I do, at the end of the day, it's just the end of the day.

KaiYeves
2013-Aug-26, 06:36 PM
How strange, I find the same thing happens to me... ;)

Trebuchet
2013-Aug-26, 07:08 PM
I travel forward 24 hours each and every day. No TARDIS required.

Amber Robot
2013-Aug-26, 07:13 PM
No matter what I do, at the end of the day, it's just the end of the day.

When else would you expect it to be?

Solfe
2013-Aug-26, 07:17 PM
Time travel forward is so underrated.

Paul Beardsley
2013-Aug-26, 07:51 PM
Hnng. I really don't like the "we travel forward in time at a rate of one minute per minute" thing. It reinforces the misconception that movement is involved. It isn't. Any more than your house moves at a rate of one metre per metre.

mkline55
2013-Aug-26, 08:09 PM
But my house does move at the rate of one meter for every meter it moves.

John Mendenhall
2013-Aug-26, 08:41 PM
But my house does move at the rate of one meter for every meter it moves.

Houses on the Pacific ring of fire don't count.

Swift
2013-Aug-26, 08:50 PM
I seem to be caught in a time flow that moves only at a constant pace.
Ford: Eddies in the space-time continum.
Arthur: Is he? And this is his sofa, is it?

Hlafordlaes
2013-Aug-26, 11:43 PM
Hnng. I really don't like the "we travel forward in time at a rate of one minute per minute" thing. It reinforces the misconception that movement is involved. It isn't. Any more than your house moves at a rate of one metre per metre.

I thought that's what we were doing, at the speed of light, no less? Moving through time, that is. Isn't that why it stops at c? Or something like that...

Back to the OP, though, boy is time relative for me. Lightning quick mostly, especially in retrospect. Then it suddenly warps down to molasses when, say, I get caught in a conversation about something horrible, like local neighborhood gossip. I have time to write several thousand novels in my head, most involving my leaving the planet.

Chuck
2013-Aug-27, 12:53 AM
The current me doesn't travel through time because he can exist only now. Later I'll have gained information, forgotten some, and exchanged atoms with my environment. This will produce someone much like the current me but not exactly the same, so it will be someone else. After a long period of time there will be someone much less like me using my identity and I'll be long gone.

As I check this post for errors, its original author has ceased to exist. I'm a nice guy, though. I'll post it for him.

SeanF
2013-Aug-27, 11:59 PM
Fair enough. I travel through time at a rate of 186000 miles per second, then. :)

The current me doesn't travel through time because he can exist only now. Later I'll have gained information, forgotten some, and exchanged atoms with my environment. This will produce someone much like the current me but not exactly the same, so it will be someone else. After a long period of time there will be someone much less like me using my identity and I'll be long gone.

As I check this post for errors, its original author has ceased to exist. I'm a nice guy, though. I'll post it for him.
By that definition, you can't move through space, either.

Chuck
2013-Aug-28, 01:23 AM
By that definition, you can't move through space, either.

Well, maybe at the speed of light.

publius
2013-Aug-28, 02:39 AM
"Moving through time" is indeed a good metaphor, really. Everything moves along its worldine at a speed of 'c' in the standard mathematical framework of relativity. Indeed, this is one rather nice way to see why no escape is possible past the horizon of a Schwarzschild blackhole. All time-like worldines terminate at the singularity. Everything is compelled to move in time to it. The singularity is like tomorrow. No matter what I do, where I move or accelerate, I will confront Wednesday.

novaderrik
2013-Aug-29, 10:41 AM
someone wrote a song about this phenomenon back in the olden days "the 1970's)

tick tock tick
do do do do
tick tock tick
do do do do
time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping
into the future