PDA

View Full Version : Agents of SHIELD tv series, spoilers possible

Noclevername
2013-Sep-09, 05:47 PM
How does it look to you? The ads make it seem promising; It could be a brilliant spinoff or a non-canon train wreck, depending on how it's handled. All I can say at this point is thankfully it's not on Fox, so it might last more than a handful of episodes.

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-09, 05:58 PM
How does it look to you?

Joss Whedon will be involved...at least initially, so that looks good.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Sep-09, 10:01 PM
As an agent Colson fan, I can't wait to see him more in action. Been hearing they'll be bringing in lots of minor super chars, mostly ones I've never heard of, since my comic days ended in the.... wow, late 60's.

Solfe
2013-Sep-09, 11:26 PM
I can't wait. I love all things Marvel.

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-10, 01:46 PM
...my comic days ended in the.... wow, late 60's.

Yep...me too...

I can appreciate newer comics/graphic novels for their art, and story lines, but there's just no substitute for the comics of the late 50's/60's.

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-10, 04:14 PM
I see "agents" will be up against the highest rated show on TV... N.C.I.S.

It's nice having a DVR built into the cable box. :)

starcanuck64
2013-Sep-11, 06:26 PM
All I can say at this point is thankfully it's not on Fox, so it might last more than a handful of episodes.

Amen.

Noclevername
2013-Sep-12, 02:02 AM
Based on my knowledge of the comics version of SHIELD, I have my ideas about how Colson returned (LMDs, for those who know what that means) but I could be wrong.

wachman
2013-Sep-12, 09:56 AM
Based on my knowledge of the comics version of SHIELD, I have my ideas about how Colson returned (LMDs, for those who know what that means) but I could be wrong.

People seems to want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. Remember rule #1: The Doctor, er, Fury lies. Nothing we saw onscreen would contradict if Colson was in the room with Loki and got seriously injured. The only "proof" we have of his death is Fury's statement to that affect. And for that I refer back to Rule #1.

Noclevername
2013-Sep-12, 10:17 PM
Sweet Christmas! It looks like Luke Cage will be on the show.

Tog
2013-Sep-13, 09:09 AM
All I can say at this point is thankfully it's not on Fox, so it might last more than a handful of episodes.
Fox gets a lot of flak for killing Firefly, but I think ABC is worse. And anything going up against NCIS is essentially a death sentence for the show. In the last few years, ABC's Tuesday line up had:

No Ordinary Family - Michael Chiklis as the head of a family with superpowers. Not a bad show overall. It lasted 1 season.
Detroit 1-8-7 - Police drama with really good critical reviews. 1/2 season.
Body of Proof - Filler series to take the place of Detroit 1-8-7. CSI-type medical examiner drama with Dana Delany and Jeri Ryan. After the first two half-seasons, an outpouring of fan support for it got it a third half season with a different supporting cast. it brought int the best numbers of it's run, and was cancelled. Granted, the plots were usually pretty thin, and they did a fair bit of shark jumping by the end of season 2.

Thursdays they had Last Resort. A drama about a ballistic missile submarine that basically defects in response to what becomes a huge government conspiracy. 1 season.

But then, I've still not forgiven them for killing off Pushing Daisies. it went three seasons, but one spanned the writers strike, and I guess it didn't recover from the year off.

But we have... what, a dozen reality and hidden camera shows, and Once Upon a Time. Unless it bring in crushing numbers, I don't see a show with a large cast and expensive effects lasting long on ABC.

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-13, 01:21 PM
Sweet Christmas! It looks like Luke Cage will be on the show.

I know probably less than most about the Pilot...are talking about the actor from Angel?

Solfe
2013-Sep-13, 05:17 PM
Luck Cage! More speculation (http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/05/13/shield-luke-cage/).

Noclevername
2013-Sep-13, 06:20 PM
I know probably less than most about the Pilot...are talking about the actor from Angel?

Wikipedia claims his character will be named Mike Peterson, a guy who gets powers. Given that, I'm now unsure if the super-strong guy in the ads is Cage, or a new unlicensed character with no expensive Marvel copyright attached. (He said cynically.)

Noclevername
2013-Sep-24, 07:16 AM
Today is the big day!

Noclevername
2013-Sep-25, 01:19 AM
Looks like a solid beginning. No actual appearances by any established Marvel characters which was a bit disappointing, but they are building on the Movieverse, not the comics, so that's not a strict requirement. If they keep it up at this level, I predict a good run.

And of course, it ended with a flying car. Always a nice touch.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Sep-25, 02:54 AM
I liked it. Colson was a little more expressive than I'd come to expect from the character, though. I like my Colson stoic and matter-of-fact.

Gillianren
2013-Sep-25, 04:44 AM
Nice to see somewhere other than New York getting it for once--that first scene is in Pasadena. And the last time I was in Union Station, I saw someone wearing a N.E.R.V. shirt, which seems somehow relevant. I also liked the line about how they really wanted the initials to spell "shield," which is pretty much Marvel's thinking in a nutshell.

Noclevername
2013-Sep-25, 06:15 AM
SPOILER

And what a twist ending: Joss Whedon gets us invested in a sympathetic character, and doesn't kill him at the end! Never saw that coming.

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-25, 02:31 PM
SPOILER

And what a twist ending...

Yep...just when you thought you knew what was happening, you realize you didn't.

I liked toward the end, and in the previews where they say "we got an 801" (or whatever number it was), and it turns out an "801" means they don't know what it is...nice touch.

Also, the line "he must never know" is sure to spark MUCH speculation as to what happened to Coulson when he "died", but I liked the way the "answer" to what happened to Coulson just raises more questions...typical Joss Whedon.

As posted previously, I'm real glad cable boxes come equipped with DVR's, so I don't have to choose between shows...I can watch them all. :)

Noclevername
2013-Sep-25, 06:59 PM
I really should have called this thread "Remembering Phil Colson"

tusenfem
2013-Sep-26, 05:51 PM
I liked this first episode, but coud have done without the last speech in the train station, uck!

Moose
2013-Sep-26, 11:34 PM
I liked it. I'll keep watching.

iquestor
2013-Sep-27, 02:11 PM
I for one didnt like it. :(

- I thought they relied too much on gee whiz technology, like the little flying scanner thingys at the bomb site -- there was no reason for them to be there, and we were all setup for the flying car at the end.
- Also I didnt like that Mike basically kills or severely maims his old boss in the Plant, does several thousands worth of damage, but since "he could use a break" so he completely gets away with it and is still considered a good guy.
- Then as he is running through the train station, the Van Girl gets away from him by instigating a fight between him and 5 gang looking kids, and he either kills or maims all of them, who were, in fact innocent bystanders.

It all just struck me as thrown together and it didnt hold my attention, nor that of my 17 yo son at all, :( I was hoping it would.

Noclevername
2013-Sep-27, 09:54 PM
SHIELD has always been about gee-whiz technology, even in its comic origins. Expect more of it. Especially since one of the main characters is an engineer of gee-whiz technology.

iquestor
2013-Sep-28, 04:09 PM
SHIELD has always been about gee-whiz technology, even in its comic origins. Expect more of it. Especially since one of the main characters is an engineer of gee-whiz technology.

dont get me wrong, I love seeing cool technology when it's integrated and central into the plot; however the tech that was shown in the example I gave seemed to be too gratuitous and seemed to not really contribute anything to the story.

Van Rijn
2013-Sep-28, 10:04 PM
- I thought they relied too much on gee whiz technology, like the little flying scanner thingys at the bomb site -- there was no reason for them to be there, and we were all setup for the flying car at the end.

I wouldn't call the fliers "gee whiz technology," or at least, not much more "gee whiz" than currently existing technology. I'd be willing to bet that somebody involved with the special effects had seen nano-quadrotor swarm videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YQIMGV5vtd4#t=53

They were just too similar.

Blue light scanners exist too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL9392747F8D834311&v=wfFeywXxqzM&feature=player_detailpage#t=43

and are used to build 3-D models of objects. I expect you will be seeing something very much like the fliers in use soon for the purpose they were showing there.

I wasn't expecting the flying car since that is a far different thing than the quadrotor-like fliers. It, naturally, reminded me of Back to the Future. I was wondering if they would do a genre-savvy joke, like "Is it a time machine too?"

Noclevername
2013-Sep-28, 10:08 PM
I wasn't expecting the flying car since that is a far different thing than the quadrotor-like fliers. It, naturally, reminded me of Back to the Future. I was wondering if they would do a genre-savvy joke, like "Is it a time machine too?"

More likely it's a tip of the hat to the flying car from the 1960s Nick Fury: Agent Of SHIELD comics.

ADDED: Link to the car's appendix (http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/furyferrari.htm)

TJMac
2013-Sep-29, 04:00 PM
I have to give it an "iffy" grade.

I was amused at times, but it comes down to, "We're a secret gov't agency that gets to do whatever we want. We decide who gets a break and who doesnt. "

I'll probably give it the Watch Three Episodes rule, but at this point I doubt it will grab me.

TJ

Noclevername
2013-Oct-02, 01:05 AM
Well, the basic "team-building disaster" thing is a bit cliche'd, but overall a fun enough second episode. And of course everything's better with Samuel L. Jackson.

EDIT: Though blocking a six foot hole in a plane with an inflatable raft and expecting it to hold pressure is a bit like a Band-Aid on a severed aorta.

R.A.F.
2013-Oct-02, 01:59 AM
And of course everything's better with Samuel L. Jackson.

Can I assume he will be making a guest appearance?, because here on the west coast we haven't seen it yet.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-02, 02:08 AM
Can I assume he will be making a guest appearance?, because here on the west coast we haven't seen it yet.

A brief cameo. Perhaps in the future you might avoid a thread that has the word "spoilers" in the thread title the night the show is on until after you watch it... :whistle:

R.A.F.
2013-Oct-02, 02:21 AM
A brief cameo. Perhaps in the future you might avoid a thread that has the word "spoilers" in the thread title the night the show is on until after you watch it... :whistle:

Apparently you misunderstood...I wasn't finding fault with your post...just stating facts...so while your "advice" is appreciated, it isn't needed.

Gillianren
2013-Oct-02, 05:05 AM

Yeah, but I've known about it for twelve hours or so. On account of all the official Facebook and Twitter feeds have been saying to watch for something after the credits, so the AV Club got a snarky Newswire about it. They suggested that the reason the eagle in the logo on the commercial has an eye patch is that the episode was going to teach us a valuable lesson about a tragic epidemic of lazy eye in birds.

tusenfem
2013-Oct-02, 06:32 AM
Apparently you misunderstood...I wasn't finding fault with your post...just stating facts...so while your "advice" is appreciated, it isn't needed.

Tone it down R.A.F.!

R.A.F.
2013-Oct-02, 01:25 PM
They suggested that the reason the eagle in the logo on the commercial has an eye patch is that the episode was going to teach us a valuable lesson about a tragic epidemic of lazy eye in birds.

Thanks for that...I needed the laugh.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Oct-02, 10:15 PM
No spoilers. Just saw the second episode, and this is definitely TV, not Avengers-calibre. Of course, but one always hopes...

They made one of my cardinal sins: Having tech talk be answered/criticized by saying "Speak English," without someone answering, "I was."

Noclevername
2013-Oct-02, 10:56 PM
No spoilers. Just saw the second episode, and this is definitely TV, not Avengers-calibre. Of course, but one always hopes...

They made one of my cardinal sins: Having tech talk be answered/criticized by saying "Speak English," without someone answering, "I was."

It's following the NCIS formula.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-09, 01:05 AM
Ah, a familiar character from the Marvel Universe! And also a set-up for at least two recurring villains.

R.A.F.
2013-Oct-09, 01:31 AM
After last weeks fiasco, I'm going to preface this by saying to all...I'm kidding.

Ah, a familiar character from the Marvel Universe!

Great...now I'll be spending the next 2 hours trying to second guess who that marvel character might be.

(shakes fist to the sky) Darn you Noclevername!!! :D :D :D :D

Tog
2013-Oct-10, 08:57 AM
Is it too early for speculation about huge plot points to be revealed in the future? This is nothing I know, only something I suspect after seeing the third episode.

Coulson really did die in the movie. The one on the TV show is a clone or something. There was a good bit of cryptic commentary in the first episode about his trip to Tahiti and someone saying "He doesn't know?"

Skip ahead to episode three and he can't do something with the gun. I have no clue what he was trying to do since there are only two things that make sense to do with that motion and monkeys could do them both with a little training. They blamed it on lost "muscle memory" in an off-hand way. It just got me thinking.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-10, 10:46 AM
There was a good bit of cryptic commentary in the first episode about his trip to Tahiti and someone saying "He doesn't know?"

It's a magical place.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-10, 10:54 AM
Coulson really did die in the movie. The one on the TV show is a clone or something.

LMD = Life Model Decoy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Model_Decoy). But seeing that it's a Joss Whedon show, the obvious answer is usually wrong. He'll go for the unexpected twist every time.

Doodler
2013-Oct-11, 03:13 PM
LMD = Life Model Decoy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Model_Decoy). But seeing that it's a Joss Whedon show, the obvious answer is usually wrong. He'll go for the unexpected twist every time.

Just shooting one from the hip, I'm guessing something Asgardian was borrowed. The hammering away, pardon the pun, of the "magical place" line along with Thor's suggestion that magic and technology aren't unrelated as they appear to be seem to aim at some borrowed tech bringing him back.

As far as the show itself, I'm enjoying it. Seems to be aiming towards an Criminal Minds/X-Files hybrid with Marvel lore for window decoration. I'd have to agree somewhat with the NCIS idea, but the chemistry of the characters seems more Criminal Minds, with Coulson seeming a lot more Aaron Hotchner than Jethro Gibbs.

Gillianren
2013-Oct-11, 04:52 PM
For one thing, there's no gratuitous sexual harassment.

Moose
2013-Oct-12, 12:37 AM
They're keeping the fan service at least somewhat plausibly deniable, which is (at least somewhat) appreciated. The writers still need to do something with Fitz/Simmons (preferably involving the 'slingshot'). They're still way too annoying.

But all in all, this was a good episode.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-16, 02:02 PM
Well, as of #4 it look like the show is starting to find its legs. FitzSimmons actually played a useful role as opposed to generic technobabble and "here's a gadget", a mystery was set up for the future, and the characterization was developed a little more.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-07, 12:46 AM
5th ep, finally some character development for FitzSimmons! At least they're not the generic plot device/bumbling comic relief. Let's see if they stay 3-dimensional, or if this was a one-time thing.

Gillianren
2013-Nov-07, 12:52 AM
I like that their world is seen suffering from some of the consequences of The Avengers, though not the crazy economic fallout that would have been inevitable.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Nov-07, 02:16 AM
Liked this last, but was hoping that as Marvel theater movies were released, there'd be some minor tie-ins. Perhaps a ref to Thor2. Maybe next week.

Moose
2013-Nov-07, 02:26 AM
5th ep, finally some character development for FitzSimmons! At least they're not the generic plot device/bumbling comic relief. Let's see if they stay 3-dimensional, or if this was a one-time thing.

Ep 6, actually, unless there's a split double-length ep I'm not recalling. But yes, this was a good story for Simmons (and nearly as good for Fitz). Also, some credit (but mostly smacks) to the writers: I wasn't entirely certain they weren't being made to ditch FitzSimmons outright. I didn't really think they were working as characters... I still don't... but this episode was a big improvement for them. I hope the writers figured out how to break the caricatures for good.

I'm okay with where the Skie / Ward thing seems to be going. Even given the events of episode 5. One of the... facets... of my OCD is that interpersonal crises, even fictional ones, that threaten to break up friendships or relationships can be a little hard on me, if I'm invested in the story at all. I tend to love the first bit of movies until right before the call to action, only to find myself struggling not to turn the movie off when things start to go badly. An example: the interplay during the battleship scene between Skie and Ward is absolutely precious. I've watched it several times now. Contrast with Ward finding out later... something I likely will never watch again. I'm somewhat relieved they're not going to stretch out Ward's issue very long.

What I perhaps don't like as much is the realization that there are six people on the team, and they're _all_ clearly hooking up in relationship pairs that match their operational pairings. It's not the fact that they're all hooking up, exactly, that's bothering me; rather that it's feeling a bit contrived.

I do like the revelation that Coulson's not immune to turf wars, and that he's willing to use the fangs he's grown since Avengers.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-07, 06:08 AM
Ep 6, actually, unless there's a split double-length ep I'm not recalling.

My count is probably off, I missed several weeks because reasons*. My free time is ongoingly unfree for a while due to taking care of my temporarily invalid mother, a sick dog, and helping to care for my niece and nephew all at once.

*I never actually used that particular phrasing before and now I see it's a little annoying. I'm not changing it, however. It's getting to you, yes, isn't it? Look at it there taunting you, an internet meme used as slang, doesn't it make you itch? It's a mad house, I tell you, a mad house! Mua ha ha ha!

Tog
2013-Nov-07, 07:37 AM
They bungled the ending.

Ward should have used the Taser of Healing on her before he had her locked up, only to lose her and fall away. He fights to reconnect but can't, then pops his chute at the last second, only to have her fire her little EMP thing and hover thirty feet above the ocean. He drifts past and lands in the ocean just in time to grab her when it wears off and she drops. The way they did it, she probably would have been ripped from his hands and collapsed his canopy.

Why do all that foreshadowing then only use it on a rat that didn't need it?

Noclevername
2013-Nov-07, 07:48 AM
They bungled the ending.

Ward should have used the Taser of Healing on her before he had her locked up, only to lose her and fall away. He fights to reconnect but can't, then pops his chute at the last second, only to have her fire her little EMP thing and hover thirty feet above the ocean. He drifts past and lands in the ocean just in time to grab her when it wears off and she drops.

They could only afford a few seconds of the expensive special effects of them falling.

The way they did it, she probably would have been ripped from his hands and collapsed his canopy.

He also should not have been able to see with terminal-velocity wind in his ungoggled eyes, nor (IIRC) breathe well at 30,000 feet.

Why do all that foreshadowing then only use it on a rat that didn't need it?

Why would the rat not need it?

The only other infected test subject aboard was Simmons, and if living in a comic book universe has taught SHIELD anything, it's that it's a bad idea to experiment on yourself.

Tog
2013-Nov-07, 08:53 AM
I thought about the air and temperature thing too. Opening the cargo door that high should have had serious decompression issues.

Why would the rat not need it?

I meant the foreshadowing, not the serum.
The hover effect told us the subject was dead. When the third rat pulsed, then hovered, we knew it was a failure. When it was back running around a few minutes later, we knew it worked, but it was too late. Okay, the rat needed to be seen hovering, but that same hovering should have come into play for her as well.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-07, 09:00 AM
I meant the foreshadowing, not the serum.
The hover effect told us the subject was dead. When the third rat pulsed, then hovered, we knew it was a failure. When it was back running around a few minutes later, we knew it worked, but it was too late. Okay, the rat needed to be seen hovering, but that same hovering should have come into play for her as well.

She might have hovered after splashdown, for all we know. They cut straight from parachute opening to Coulson's dressing-down, so who knows what happened in between.

Moose
2013-Nov-07, 01:29 PM
*I never actually used that particular phrasing before and now I see it's a little annoying. I'm not changing it, however. It's getting to you, yes, isn't it? Look at it there taunting you, an internet meme used as slang, doesn't it make you itch? It's a mad house, I tell you, a mad house! Mua ha ha ha!

*chuckle* It's fine. It's only annoying (to me, anyway) when there's a genuine need to know there are rational reasons and/or what those reasons are.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-07, 03:42 PM
*chuckle* It's fine. It's only annoying (to me, anyway) when there's a genuine need to know there are rational reasons and/or what those reasons are.

And I actually gave some reasons right after it, thus invalidating the use of the phrase anyway.

Gillianren
2013-Nov-07, 06:21 PM
At faire, in our booth, it's usually followed with (an indignant) "legitimate reasons!"

Noclevername
2013-Nov-07, 11:40 PM
Liked this last, but was hoping that as Marvel theater movies were released, there'd be some minor tie-ins. Perhaps a ref to Thor2. Maybe next week.

Or two, according to sources (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agents_of_SHIELD#Episodes).

Noclevername
2013-Nov-08, 06:45 AM
I thought about the air and temperature thing too. Opening the cargo door that high should have had serious decompression issues.

Especially after the episode where losing pressure nearly killed them all, if it weren't for an implausibly rigid and resilient raft.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-20, 06:04 PM
So, some consequences carried over from the Movie-verse in the opening scene, and a plot tied back into Asgard.

Overall I think this was a pretty strong episode, with the main weak point being Brett Dalton. His "overwhelming rage" underwhelms a bit. He's not a bad actor, but an episode that hinges on his character's emotions needs to be really convincing, to carry weight. Ming-Na Wen was more convincing as a berserker with about one minute of steely cold control, a brief fight scene, and a shaking hand than he was all episode.

As for Peter MacNicol, he should be used to playing mild mannered nebbishes who possess great supernatural power; see Dragonslayer and Ghostbusters 2. I find it hard to believe that SHIELD will just leave an Asgardian on Earth without trying to get some use out of him, pacifist or not.

Moose
2013-Nov-20, 07:19 PM
I find it hard to believe that SHIELD will just leave an Asgardian on Earth without trying to get some use out of him, pacifist or not.

Pretty sure even an Asgardian pacifist couldn't be coerced (and only manipulated with extreme caution). Coulson knows better than to wake that 'sleeping dog', and Nick Fury's policy on The Hulk would, I think, apply here as well.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-20, 11:07 PM
Pretty sure even an Asgardian pacifist couldn't be coerced (and only manipulated with extreme caution). Coulson knows better than to wake that 'sleeping dog', and Nick Fury's policy on The Hulk would, I think, apply here as well.

Yeah, but SHIELD also kept fiddling with the Tesseract all those decades. So they do slip up, from time to time, and give in to temptation. Maybe they've learned from their mistakes.

If nothing else, they'd want some occasional advice on the local Gods who seem to keep visiting Earth, and their artifacts, to help avoid mistakes. Even his knowledge of a thousand-plus years of first-person Earth history makes him an immensely valuable resource.

Plus they might need a good stonemason someday.

Moose
2013-Nov-22, 02:25 PM
I think I've noticed something (and I may have to rewatch the series to see if it's consistent, and if any other characters do it too.) Skye appears to correctly distinguish between a hack and a crack (classical MIT/Caltech definitions) while the other characters appear to only use the colloquial media definition of hack. Noticing that really made my evening (which is good, because it was otherwise a rough day in a rough week.) The reason I might rewatch it all a third time is to see if the writers thought to have Fitz also know the difference.

/ For those not in the know, the distinction is pretty simple: a hack is constructive. A crack is destructive.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-22, 08:28 PM
The episode also did a good, subtle job of continuing the already established character development. And yet another tease in the ongoing mystery of Coulson.

Moose
2013-Nov-22, 11:43 PM
The episode also did a good, subtle job of continuing the already established character development. And yet another tease in the ongoing mystery of Colson.

I also noticed: "Did I fall asleep?" "For a little while." is a direct shout-out to Joss Wheden's Dollhouse series. Hearing it raised the hairs on the back of my neck. Not for the shout-out itself, but the thought that those words might also be significant. And if they are, then I can't process the implications for what may have happened to Coulson.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-23, 12:37 AM
I also noticed: "Did I fall asleep?" "For a little while." is a direct shout-out to Joss Wheden's Dollhouse series. Hearing it raised the hairs on the back of my neck. Not for the shout-out itself, but the thought that those words might also be significant. And if they are, then I can't process the implications for what may have happened to Coulson.

He used to be Eliza Dushku?

HenrikOlsen
2013-Nov-25, 03:40 PM
Overall I think this was a pretty strong episode, with the main weak point being Brett Dalton. His "overwhelming rage" underwhelms a bit. He's not a bad actor, but an episode that hinges on his character's emotions needs to be really convincing, to carry weight. Ming-Na Wen was more convincing as a berserker with about one minute of steely cold control, a brief fight scene, and a shaking hand than he was all episode.
She is after all 19 years older than he is (and has been acting 4 times as long), that does count for something when it comes to the acting craft.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-29, 03:30 AM
As for the latest episode (Nov. 26)-- well, they can't all be winners.

marsbug
2013-Nov-29, 11:14 PM
Just saw it. Flimsy monster of the week stuff, mildly interesting twist with the plane in effect becoming a haunted house.... it's not terrible, although if I'd been expecting a major amount on May's past I'd have been disappointed. This felt more like the set up for a future episode that will actually tell May's story.

Moose
2013-Nov-30, 01:49 PM
although if I'd been expecting a major amount on May's past I'd have been disappointed.

I kind of was. I was on the official website (at least I _think_ it was the official website) for something else last week, and the pre-air episode blurb more or less promised that May would be forced by circumstances to reveal something really big about her past. She did, sort of, but her last words in the episode didn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense to me. I'm going to have to watch it again.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-30, 04:25 PM
Personally I suspect that this episode was an attempt to re-create the feel of Buffy The Vampire Slayer; supernatural opponent, fear of demons, adolescent motive for the stalker, etc. If so, it failed on all counts.

Noclevername
2014-Mar-05, 08:16 PM
Skipped a few reviews, so I'll just say that the show is beginning to find its legs and develop its own mythos outside (or alongside) the events of the films. I had trepidations about the train episode when it started, but it went to a completely unexpected place.

The Death of Coulson arc seems to be finally getting a proper buildup and deepening mystery. As for "GH", I can't tell if it's a Chitauri, a Frost Giant, some previously unknown alien, or what.

Moose
2014-Mar-05, 08:53 PM
The Death of Coulson arc seems to be finally getting a proper buildup and deepening mystery. As for "GH", I can't tell if it's a Chitauri, a Frost Giant, some previously unknown alien, or what.

I thought there was some passing resemblance to Coulson himself around the eyes and brow structure, which may explain his degree of shock.

I didn't like this episode much. They didn't sell me on Skie's injuries. Perforated bowels are life-threatening mainly due to infection, and are fairly well understood surgeries (if a bit 'Hail Mary' for comfort.) Had they gone searching for a magical anti-biotic, maybe...

/ If I had a dollar for every soldier Hawkeye Pierce personally saved on MASH where a perforated bowel was explicitly mentioned during the series...

Noclevername
2014-Mar-06, 02:24 AM
I didn't like this episode much. They didn't sell me on Skie's injuries. Perforated bowels are life-threatening mainly due to infection, and are fairly well understood surgeries (if a bit 'Hail Mary' for comfort.) Had they gone searching for a magical anti-biotic, maybe...

Yeah, they should have just said "liver damage" or something. It would have worked a lot better. But Skye was a MacGuffin this episode, they could just as easily said Bad Guy used poison bullets and they needed an antidote bullet.

Moose
2014-Apr-11, 09:34 PM
I hesitated several days before posting this, 'cause it may lead to spoilers too big even for a spoilers thread, but I'm officially paranoid now. Just saying.

/ I wonder if it was coincidence or planned that Agent Haim (Hand?) has a The Baroness thing happening.

Noclevername
2014-Apr-12, 08:48 AM
I hesitated several days before posting this, 'cause it may lead to spoilers too big even for a spoilers thread, but I'm officially paranoid now. Just saying.

You're not paranoid, they just want you to think you are! Mua ha ha ha!

Noclevername
2014-Apr-12, 10:39 PM
I wonder if it was coincidence or planned that Agent Haim (Hand?) has a The Baroness thing happening.

It's been suggested that the red streaks in her hair were specifically to make her less Baroness-like.

Moose
2014-Apr-12, 11:02 PM
It's been suggested that the red streaks in her hair were specifically to make her less Baroness-like.

Heh. It didn't work. (I did like the red streaks, though. Made her seem... less rigid than she portrays.)

Noclevername
2014-Apr-12, 11:24 PM
Heh. It didn't work. (I did like the red streaks, though. Made her seem... less rigid than she portrays.)

I can picture her as a former "wild child".

Moose
2014-Apr-13, 11:05 AM
I can picture her as a former "wild child".

Heh. That, or she lost a bet with Tony Stark.

Noclevername
2014-Apr-13, 11:50 AM
Heh. That, or she lost a bet with Tony Stark.

That's the same reason Nick Fury shaved his head.

Noclevername
2014-Apr-18, 05:49 AM
I just think it's funny that they case Patton Oswalt as Agent Eric Koenig: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/koenigeric.htm

Noclevername
2014-Apr-23, 10:24 AM
Is it just me, or did it seem like that last burst of light was aimed right at the Cellist? Hello, super-power origin!

Moose
2014-Apr-23, 05:06 PM
Not really conversant with comic superheros outside of the really mainstreamed ones, so I did a little googling. I saw some speculation from last month (when it became known that Amy Acker would be in this episode playing a character called 'the Cellist') that points out Kate Bishop/Hawkeye (http://marvel.wikia.com/Katherine_Bishop_%28Earth-616%29) is known to play the cello. I have no way to evaluate this speculation.

Noclevername
2014-Apr-23, 05:31 PM
Not really conversant with comic superheros outside of the really mainstreamed ones, so I did a little googling. I saw some speculation from last month (when it became known that Amy Acker would be in this episode playing a character called 'the Cellist') that points out Kate Bishop/Hawkeye (http://marvel.wikia.com/Katherine_Bishop_%28Earth-616%29) is known to play the cello. I have no way to evaluate this speculation.

Given her link with a character who has access to the Darkforce and who says she is "his light", and the potential for her gaining light-based powers, I'm thinking alternate versions of Cloak and Dagger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloak_and_Dagger_(comics)

Not really any commonality with the comics outside of the powers, but then the same could be said of Deathlok/Mike Peterson.

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-Apr-30, 02:20 PM
That will be 20 dollars.

Moose
2014-Apr-30, 09:35 PM
Had a chance to sit down and watch it just now. Huh. I genuinely didn't see that coming. (Poor Porthos.)

R.A.F.
2014-May-14, 01:06 PM
Great season finale....my favorite scenes?...Nick Fury's entrance, and Garrett's "exit".

The Backroad Astronomer
2014-May-14, 02:05 PM
"hey guys, I found it"

Noclevername
2014-May-14, 03:08 PM
Best episode of the show so far. IMO, in places it almost felt like parts of the Avengers film.

Moose
2014-May-14, 04:02 PM
A lot of great one-liners and gag scenes throughout. Didn't quite feel like a traditional season finale, but I'll take it all the same.

Ward: Gonna use your bomb?
Skye: [checks her Twitter] I don't need a bomb. I've got a Donk.
Ward: A what?
May: [DONK!]

First couple of scenes with Jackson and Coulson felt a bit phoned in, but he redeemed himself with:

Fury: All this was because of my damned 'one man' speech? [You just know that's not what he wanted to say. ...Or what we all wanted him to say.]

R.A.F.
2014-May-14, 04:15 PM
Best episode of the show so far.

It was an "investment"....those who stayed with it, and watched the entire season, were "rewarded" with a kick-hiney finale.

Glad I stayed with it....

Noclevername
2014-May-14, 08:27 PM
It was an "investment"....those who stayed with it, and watched the entire season, were "rewarded" with a kick-hiney finale.

Glad I stayed with it....

It was worth it. Even with wading through a couple of clunker episodes. (I'm looking at you, Haunted Plane episode!)

Noclevername
2015-Aug-06, 02:53 AM
Just binge watched season 2, and I have to say, the show's version of Mister Hyde was extremely disappointing. After all the buildup to Cal's transformation, the result looked cartoonish and unimpressive.

The Inhumans plot was based on a recent comics storyline about the human hybrids left out of Attilan. They probably greatly outnumber their pure ancestors by an order of magnitude. It remains to be seen if the TV-verse has any equivalent to the Hidden City (Afterlife was just a way-station for travelers).