PDA

View Full Version : Flight Fright?

Buttercup
2013-Sep-13, 03:37 PM
Flight 666 to HEL on Friday the 13th:

http://news.yahoo.com/board-flight-666-hel-070108316.html

rigel
2013-Sep-13, 03:49 PM
I would think about it. But I used to drive US 666 from Utah through Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Now that designation is long gone.

Trebuchet
2013-Sep-13, 05:03 PM
Some years ago my company changed the way they designated organization numbers so that mine, and many others, ended up as 66-6XYnnn. (Where X and Y were letters and n were digits.) I thought it rather hilarious, but they wound up having to change it because they got complaints.

redshifter
2013-Sep-13, 05:39 PM
I would think about it. But I used to drive US 666 from Utah through Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Now that designation is long gone.

I drove that road about 8 yrs ago when I was returning to the Pacific NW from Las Vegas, NM. One of the locals at the place I was staying in Las Vegas said they had to change the name. Too many protests by religious folks and too many folks stealing the rt. # signs.

Solfe
2013-Sep-15, 03:55 AM
Wasn't there some sort of buzz in the 80's where "opportunists" would offer to pay the insurance for a flight in exchange for being the beneficiary on oddly numbered flights. Flight number 13 on Friday the 13th or 666 would be obvious ones.

I am using "opportunist" is a really loose way. It is entirely possible that someone would make up a story like this simply to get on TV in the 1980's. It sort of sounds like an urban legend thing. It would be a really poorly thought out plan for fame and riches in my mind; what if there was an accident and people remembered you were on TV doing this?

Jens
2013-Sep-15, 11:32 AM
Incidentally, the flight apparently arrived safely.

I'm not aware of any flight involved in a real crash that had an "unlucky" number. The only exception I can think of is the Korean plane that got shot down: Flight 007. But that's from a modern novel, not any kind of old traditional jinx.

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-15, 01:09 PM
Flight 666 to HEL on Friday the 13th:

http://news.yahoo.com/board-flight-666-hel-070108316.html

I would not get on this flight, but only because I HAVE NO REASON TO GO TO HELSINKI.

...I guess "Off Topic Babbling" is the proper place for this superstitious garbage....

Solfe
2013-Sep-15, 01:14 PM
The number is amusing, but the name is the part that bothers me. Three characters isn't long enough for public consumption. My city is BUF and I am really glad it isn't BUT. Juvenile, ain't I?

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-15, 01:33 PM
I'm not aware of any flight involved in a real crash that had an "unlucky" number.

Apollo 13 comes to mind, but the astronauts survived, so I don't know how "unlucky" it was...

...of course Jim Lovell would disagree, as he is the only Apollo commander who didn't get to walk on the Moon.

...and for Alan Shepard, it was quite the stroke of luck as he "wanted" to Command 13.

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-15, 01:47 PM
Here (http://www.airportcodes.org/) are all the airport codes...in case anyone was interested. :)

Nowhere Man
2013-Sep-15, 07:12 PM
Big deal. It's just numbers. No more real meaning to these than any other "special" number.

Fred

NEOWatcher
2013-Sep-16, 06:14 PM
Big deal. It's just numbers. No more real meaning to these than any other "special" number.
It is if the pilot has triskaidekaphobia or hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.
He may be much more "shaky" at the wheel on that date and flight number.
Not that it would change my mind about flying, I'd be more worried about the pilot being distracted by the media reporting the flight.

Wasn't there some sort of buzz in the 80's where "opportunists" would offer to pay the insurance for a flight in exchange for being the beneficiary on oddly numbered flights. Flight number 13 on Friday the 13th or 666 would be obvious ones.
I remember that buzz too. I'm sure there were at least a few people doing this. It's just another form of a lottery for those who are math impaired.

And, if that flight was the result of an intentional act, just think how fast the authorities would be looking at those people with insurance policies. And; just think how it would look to them by having a policy with no logical link to the victim.

PetersCreek
2013-Sep-16, 08:20 PM
I think taking the flight on Friday, February 13th, 2015 would be more significant...but not much more.

According to Google Translate...which is the only prowess I can exercise in Finnish..."HEL" translates to "February", whereas "helvetti" would be "Hell".

Buttercup
2013-Sep-16, 08:23 PM
I would not get on this flight, but only because I HAVE NO REASON TO GO TO HELSINKI.

...I guess "Off Topic Babbling" is the proper place for this superstitious garbage....

It was merely posted in jest.

Now go take your blood pressure meds. ;)

R.A.F.
2013-Sep-16, 08:36 PM
It was merely posted in jest.

I know it "reads" that way, but my comment wasn't aimed at you.

BigDon
2013-Sep-24, 08:43 PM

What, you don't like blondes?

swampyankee
2013-Sep-24, 09:41 PM
What, you don't like blondes?

It's that they're so tall there.