PDA

View Full Version : Mars & fish

Gorn
2013-Sep-17, 02:35 AM
Hello. Can someone tell me that 'yes'..one of the basic food stuffs for people going to or living on Mars will be 'fish'...and or fish that is alive..in a fish tank like in a store..that after 6 months they just take the fish out of the tank..kill it then eat it? Would not basically fish farming be an important way to have fresh food on Mars?

Thanks for any and all responses
Bye
SC

Buttercup
2013-Sep-17, 02:43 AM
Robert Zubrin (IIRC) mentioned fish farming of tilapia on Mars, as a likely eventuality.

smeyn
2013-Sep-17, 06:27 AM
What would the feed of the fish be? Using human waste would be a possibility but that won't be enough as you wouldn't have 100% efficiency.

Noclevername
2013-Sep-17, 10:55 AM
What would the feed of the fish be? Using human waste would be a possibility but that won't be enough as you wouldn't have 100% efficiency.

Algae. Using fish as an algae-cleaning system has been suggested for many types of closed-cycle life support designs in space, not just Mars.

And 100% efficiency isn't technically needed on Mars as CO2 and water ice are available to make up minor losses.

antoniseb
2013-Sep-17, 12:23 PM
I imagine that meat grown from fish stem-cells might be an important food on Mars. Actual tanks of fish-farm seems like a rich man's fantasy of a way to use resources.

Noclevername
2013-Sep-17, 07:11 PM
I imagine that meat grown from fish stem-cells might be an important food on Mars. Actual tanks of fish-farm seems like a rich man's fantasy of a way to use resources.

Only if you use single-purpose tanks dedicated to only fish. Using primarily vegetable growth for food, and feeding the fish off tank gunk and table scraps, is something I've seen suggested for long term spacecraft ecosystems.

ADDED: In order for it to be viable to have longterm human presence on Mars, a lot of things that "look like a rich man's fantasy" today will have to be accomplished.

Romanus
2013-Sep-18, 02:20 AM
I doubt it, at least in the near future; that's a lot of water they could be using for horticulture, sanitation, and whatnot. On top of that, most valuable species of edible fish are not small, making them even less amenable to tight colonial quarters. Maybe raising a few at a time as a delicacy, but until we have truly enormous colonies I see it as a low priority.

That said, I think dried fish (actually, any dried meats) will be highly desirable imports to Martian colonists.

LookingSkyward
2013-Sep-20, 10:21 AM
and little red Swedish fish? Pretty sure I'd want some.... :)

Noclevername
2014-Aug-05, 01:20 AM
I doubt it, at least in the near future; that's a lot of water they could be using for horticulture, sanitation, and whatnot.

Since the water would be part of the life-support cycle, they will be using it for those things anyway.

Along with all the other water in that cycle. It all gets re-used.

Noclevername
2014-Aug-05, 11:20 PM
On top of that, most valuable species of edible fish are not small, making them even less amenable to tight colonial quarters.

But there are small edible species. And terminology time: Mars' first base will not be a colony. By the time a full colony can be established, the human-supporting ecosystem will have lots of redundancy, with plenty left over for a few fish.

That said, I think dried fish (actually, any dried meats) will be highly desirable imports to Martian colonists.

Shipping food between planets will cost far more than just making a slightly bigger local ecosystem.