PDA

View Full Version : Perry Mason handshakes

tashirosgt
2013-Sep-17, 04:51 PM
I've been watching DVDs of the first seasons of the old TV series "Perry Mason". I notice that when Mason meets new clients, he rarely shakes hands with them. I'm curious why this social custom (at least with male clients) isn't portrayed.

Perhaps handshaking isn't portrayed in most TV series of that era - I haven't payed attention to it in DVDs of other old TV series.

Mason shakes hands with his client in "The Case Of The Lost Last Act". The client puts some cash Mason's hand in that handshake, so this handshake didn't have a normal significance.

schlaugh
2013-Sep-17, 05:44 PM
Shaking hands is rarely done largely (IMO) because it requires one actor to block their body with an arm and that's generally not done when staging, whether the view is from the audience or the camera (at least, that's what I was taught). Also, shaking hands is a time waster and in a one-hour show you only have 40 minutes to tell the story so seconds can be precious. Unless of course (as you pointed out) the handshake is part of the story.

Gillianren
2013-Sep-17, 06:18 PM
I've been watching the early episodes lately, too, and I hadn't noticed that. I did notice that one of the recurring judges is a woman, though!