View Full Version : The greatest Canadian

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Nov-30, 01:44 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/nominee/douglas-tommy.html

Grizzly
2004-Nov-30, 02:52 PM
1) Tommy Douglas. Mr. Medicare
2) Terry Fox. Mr. Marathon a day on one leg across Canada for cancer
3) Pierre Elliot Trudeau. Mr. Prime Minister, Mr. "Just Society" and War Measures Act. Mr. Constitution and NEP
4) Dr. Banting. Mr. Insulin
5) David Suzuki. Mr. Grizzly's pick
6) Lester B. Pearson. Mr. Prime Minister. Mr. Nobel Peace Prize. Mr. Canada's Flag
7) Don Cherry. No comment.
8) Sir John Eh? MacDonald. Mr. First Prime Minister. Mr. Let's build a railraod (Thanks to him I've got a job)
9) Sir Alexander Graham Bell. Thanks for cell phones Alex. Thanks for nuthin.
10) Wayne Gretzky. The Great One.

No women. First woman is Shania Twain (SHANIA TWAIN???) in 18th. *sigh* No artists.

Don Cherry nudged Jean Vanier out of the top 10. If you don't know who Jean Vanier is shame on you.

I thought Suzuki deserved better. Saw him speak and met him in person last week. Far from a doom and gloomer, he has a message of hope. Check out his website.

None of my nominees made it to the top 10, I'd voted for David Thompson, the man who arguably made Canada a reality by mapping the west.

I nominated Stan Rogers, one of the greatest folk singers Canada or the world has seen.

I nominated Jean Belliveau, just for the heck of it.

I nominated Therese Casgrain because of her effort to get women the vote.

----
Parva scintilla saepe magnam flamam excitat
The small sparkle often initiates a large flame

ToSeek
2004-Nov-30, 03:06 PM
Where's William Shatner? :P

Grizzly
2004-Nov-30, 03:13 PM
With that green-skinned babe somewhere in the nether regions of the top 100.

----
Ergo bibamus
Therefore, let us drink

Moose
2004-Nov-30, 03:13 PM
He was somewhere in the top 30-40. Follow banquo's link and hit "top 100" to find him.

I nominated Therese Casgrain because of her effort to get women the vote.

I'd have nominated her myself (for top ten) had I known about the contest before it was already started.

I'd have rated Mike Pearson first, Terry Fox second, Tommy Douglas third. Cherry, Bell, and Gretzky should not have rated the top 25 IMO, and the "unknown soldier" should have somewhere in the top 10.

But c'est la vote, I guess.

tuffel999
2004-Nov-30, 04:09 PM
Where is Homer J Simpson? Or Alex Trebek?

:wink:

Parrothead
2004-Nov-30, 04:52 PM
If anything the show helped bring the names of many great canadians to light, many that I feel are probably not taught in the schools anymore. Is Tommy Douglas the greatest Canadian? In the opinion of those that voted, yes. Many on the list in the top 100 are great for different reasons and contributions to canadian history, politics, science, society, entertainment, etc. making it difficult to compare their contributions. A positive aspect of the airing of the show is the discussions that can be brought forward, especially in the education system. There could be "nitpicks" to the show as well, my example would be why seperate Banting (4th) and Dr. Charles Best (77th)? Best as a grad student, worked with Banting on the discovery of insulin. Anyways, it will open discussion in Canada and quite possibly we will re-discover our past.

Candy
2004-Nov-30, 05:12 PM
Where is Homer J Simpson? :wink: Homer's from Canada? 8-[

teddyv
2004-Nov-30, 05:28 PM

IIRC, Matt Groening's father, Homer, lives in Winnipeg.

LunarOrbit
2004-Nov-30, 05:43 PM
I'm disappointed that Marc Garneau (the first Canadian astronaut) didn't make the list, but it's good that Roberta Bondar did (#63).

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Nov-30, 06:07 PM
loaded question: who was the greatest American? (would make a good show- hint, hint)

tuffel999
2004-Nov-30, 09:36 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/artsCanada/stories/homer300503

tuffel999
2004-Nov-30, 09:38 PM
loaded question: who was the greatest American? (would make a good show- hint, hint)

Me! :^o

Candy
2004-Nov-30, 09:43 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/artsCanada/stories/homer300503 That's great. =D> I didn't know.

And yes, you are America's best. :P

SeanF
2004-Nov-30, 09:52 PM
Can you introduce me to Robert Culp? I've always wanted to meet him . . .

tuffel999
2004-Nov-30, 09:54 PM
Can you introduce me to Robert Culp? I've always wanted to meet him . . .

You like Half Life 2 that much huh?

Kebsis
2004-Dec-01, 01:00 AM

GI Joe

tjm220
2004-Dec-01, 09:18 PM

How about Captain America?

Glom
2004-Dec-01, 09:23 PM
James Tichenor. Second to none in visual effects.

Makgraf
2004-Dec-02, 02:48 AM
1) Tommy Douglas. Mr. Medicare
2) Terry Fox. Mr. Marathon a day on one leg across Canada for cancer
3) Pierre Elliot Trudeau. Mr. Prime Minister, Mr. "Just Society" and War Measures Act. Mr. Constitution and NEP
4) Dr. Banting. Mr. Insulin
5) David Suzuki. Mr. Grizzly's pick
6) Lester B. Pearson. Mr. Prime Minister. Mr. Nobel Peace Prize. Mr. Canada's Flag
7) Don Cherry. No comment.
8) Sir John Eh? MacDonald. Mr. First Prime Minister. Mr. Let's build a railraod (Thanks to him I've got a job)
9) Sir Alexander Graham Bell. Thanks for cell phones Alex. Thanks for nuthin.
10) Wayne Gretzky. The Great One.
To be fair to Don Cherry he never committed armed insurrection against Canada, which is more than #11 can say.

As long as we're talking about traitors, #69 is René Lévesque a man who tried to destroy our country. Ironically I'm sure he would have considered himself Quebecois and not Candienne.

Brock is on there, and while he was a great man and probably a good guy he wasn't Canadian. He was a British army officer who happened to be stationed in Canada where he fought a British war with the Americans (and was killed).

Mulroney was on a list of 100 greatest Canadians. Nuff said.

Something that I think sums up the list perfectly:
Louise Arbour: Tenacious crusader for human rights, Chief war crimes prosecuter, Supreme Court Justice, head of the UN Refugee agency... #97
Avril Lavigne: Pretends she's punk... #40
:o

Oh and Tommy Douglas at #1? If we're going down the 'political' route, I think any of the other politicians on the list would be better.

Edit: I mean any of the politicians in the top 10.