PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Phil Hartman

Buttercup
2013-Sep-24, 03:41 PM
Headline today (birthday).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Hartman

I remember when the news broke of the murder/suicide which took his life; his wife shot Phil in his sleep. :(

One of my favorite Phil Hartman SNL sketches was "The Monster Singalong": He portrayed Frankenstein's monster, who of course couldn't actually sing; merely slowly glanced around while making "rrrrooorrrr" sounds. :lol:

Sure do miss him. Difficult to believe he'd be 65.

redshifter
2013-Sep-24, 05:46 PM
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure..."

Buttercup
2013-Sep-24, 05:52 PM
Chowing down at a fast food restaurant (while taking a jogging break) as Bill Clinton. :)

NEOWatcher
2013-Sep-24, 06:17 PM
Funny, I just happened to need a Coneheads reference earlier today. If I knew, I could have used Marlax instead of Beldar.

Gillianren
2013-Sep-24, 07:47 PM
The first thing I thought about when Phil Hartman died was the time Krusty faked his own death and Troy McClure hosted his funeral. I felt awful, but it was funny to me. Then again, I think he might have been okay with being remembered for something funny.

DonM435
2013-Sep-24, 08:26 PM
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure..."

I don't remember that guy from anything!

Luckmeister
2013-Sep-24, 08:51 PM

He was the news anchor on the Newsradio sitcom. I always enjoyed his work.

redshifter
2013-Sep-24, 09:18 PM

You may remember him from such films as the greatest story ever hula'd - that's a reference to a Simpsons episode where Troy was going to marry one of Marge's sisters. Hartman was the voice of Troy McClure. Nice that there was a connection to another sitcom with the Troy McClure character.

danscope
2013-Sep-25, 01:39 AM
" The sun is set, the stars shine in the night sky, the night air is tinged with anticipation. And now... it's time to meet ...
" The Continental " . :) Spoken as only Phil Hartman could.

Dan

DonM435
2013-Sep-25, 02:45 AM
You may remember him from such films as the greatest story ever hula'd - that's a reference to a Simpsons episode where Troy was going to marry one of Marge's sisters. Hartman was the voice of Troy McClure. Nice that there was a connection to another sitcom with the Troy McClure character.

That's right -- he was in such films as. ;)

Hartman never got old enough to be a has-been like his character.

SkepticJ
2013-Sep-25, 05:52 PM
Chowing down at a fast food restaurant (while taking a jogging break) as Bill Clinton. :)

"Intercepted by warlords!"

starcanuck64
2013-Sep-25, 07:54 PM
I had dinner the night before with my brother and his wife and we had a great time watching TV that evening with three show featuring Phil Hartman. First was an episode of Third Rock where he played a psychotic kidnapper who abducts Harry. Then a highlight show of his SNL career, my favorite was Keyrock, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

http://snuh.tumblr.com/post/4681288883/phil-hartman-as-keyrock-unfrozen-caveman-lawyer.

The last show was Newsradio, where I think he was the funniest character. I woke up the next morning and heard the news his wife had shot him, what a loss.

Phil Hartman touting Rocket Fuel malt liquor on Newsradio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dglPIgviX6Y

SkepticJ
2013-Sep-26, 03:48 AM
Have you ever seen Sgt. Bilko?

It's a strangely underrated movie that has Hartman play the antagonist to Steve Martin's protagonist.

Hilarious.

starcanuck64
2013-Sep-26, 08:53 PM
Have you ever seen Sgt. Bilko?

It's a strangely underrated movie that has Hartman play the antagonist to Steve Martin's protagonist.

Hilarious.

I missed that one, I'll have to check it out.

He also had a small part in a earlier Steve Martin movie, The Three Amigos. He and John Lovitz play yes men to the studio executive who fires the amigos.

After years of smaller parts his career was just starting to take off when he was killed, it's sad to think what he might have done.

Romanus
2013-Sep-27, 04:06 PM
"We invited you into our home...we...played golf together." -- Hartman's in Houseguest.