PDA

View Full Version : Giant Hay Fire in California.

BigDon
2013-Sep-27, 01:40 PM
An area containing ten acres of haystacks and three hay barns is ablaze at the moment in Yolo county.

That's a lot of wasted horse food.

Fazor
2013-Sep-27, 03:06 PM
Breaking News: Marshmallow shortage hits West Coast.

Growing up out 'in the country,' there were a few big fires. Nothing like what you're talking about BigDon, but bigger than the average suburban flair-ups. I remember one in particular that ended up with trucks from 5 different districts fighting the fire for what felt like all day.

It was a brick building that's maybe 20' x 20'.

There were a few problems -- it was a solid brick building. It was stuffed, literally, to the rafters with hay. And it was a historic building.

The solid brick and hay turned it from an undersized house (Schoolhouse is what it originally functioned as) to a well above-average sized kiln. Because it was on the historic building registry, it took the firefighters much too long to convince the township to allow them to cut into the roof.

I was probably 10 when that happened. When I was 23 I had a job in security, and one day got to talking to one of my fellow guards. Like most older gents (and women) in the security field, he had worked a bunch of public service type jobs throughout his life. One was as a firefighter. The one fire he talked about turned out to be that schoolhouse. Small world, eh?

NEOWatcher
2013-Sep-27, 04:44 PM
Breaking News: Marshmallow shortage hits West Coast.
Aha... I new there had to be s'more to this story (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?58911-Read-that-again&p=2159081#post2159081).

Trebuchet
2013-Sep-27, 04:44 PM
I remember my parents taking me out to watch a grain elevator fire when I was a kid. It was spectacular. The elevator was probably around 100 feet tall and flames were going four or five times that into the air. It was at night, so really impressive. Pretty much the whole town was out there.

Buttercup
2013-Sep-27, 05:49 PM
I remember my parents taking me out to watch a grain elevator fire when I was a kid. It was spectacular. The elevator was probably around 100 feet tall and flames were going four or five times that into the air. It was at night, so really impressive. Pretty much the whole town was out there.

Due to grain dust, I take it? Because grain elevators can explode, due to that dust. I remember hurrying past the small grain elevator complex in my hometown...

Trebuchet
2013-Sep-28, 12:02 AM
It may have started due to a dust explosion, but once it got going the grain itself was burning.

Is going to watch fires still a thing people do? I remember doing that quite often as a kid. We also used to go to the airport or railroad station just to watch the plains and trains come in. One time we even went to the scene of a plane crash.

BigDon
2013-Oct-03, 11:25 PM
When I was a child a loaded gasoline tanker caught fire and exploded while stuck in traffic on an overpass above highway 101, about ten miles south of Candlestick Park.

And about a quarter mile from my house.

The fire department didn't have a foam unit and Sweet Mother of Pearl was that a fire!

It melted the overpass! Abandoned cars were in a line four lanes across and I vividly remember the wreckers backing up to burning cars that were abandoned by their panicked occupants and pulling them out off the fire to stop the chain reaction as their own fuel tanks overheated.

I remember the flames were distinctly red and I only just now realized it was probably from being leaded gasoline, being the mid-1960's at the latest.

Does anybody have the Google-fu skills to find anything on that? I don't recall that happening too often.

KaiYeves
2013-Oct-04, 02:42 AM
When I was a child a loaded gasoline tanker caught fire and exploded while stuck in traffic on an overpass above highway 101, about ten miles south of Candlestick Park.

The fire department didn't have a foam unit and Sweet Mother of Pearl was that a fire!

It melted the overpass! Abandoned cars were in a line four lanes across and I vividly remember the wreckers backing up to burning cars that were abandoned by their panicked occupants and pulling them out off the fire to stop the chain reaction as their own fuel tanks overheated.

I remember the flames were distinctly red and I only just now realized it was probably from being leaded gasoline, being the mid-1960's at the latest.

Does anybody have the Google-fu skills to find anything on that? I don't recall that happening too often.
This (http://www.timelines.ws/cities/SF_C_1930_1959.HTML) listing of dates in San Francisco history mentions several destructive fires in the 1950s, but none including a tanker on a highway. The closest on the list is this event, which happened on a pier:

1952 Jul 13, An oil fire at the Union Oil Co. pier at Oleum wrapped 2 tankers in flames. One man died and 2 were missing and presumed dead.

BigDon
2013-Oct-04, 05:34 PM
Oh, this was much further down the peninsula Miss Yeves, out of San Francisco proper, near the boarder of Brisbane and South San Francisco. (We call it South City)

redshifter
2013-Oct-04, 05:41 PM
It may have started due to a dust explosion, but once it got going the grain itself was burning.

Is going to watch fires still a thing people do? I remember doing that quite often as a kid. We also used to go to the airport or railroad station just to watch the plains and trains come in. One time we even went to the scene of a plane crash.

A few years ago, a large apartment building under construction caught fire about a mile from our house. The smoke was very thick and could be seen all over town. There were several hundred people that wandered over to check it out, including me.

KaiYeves
2013-Oct-04, 09:42 PM
Oh, this was much further down the peninsula Miss Yeves, out of San Francisco proper, near the boarder of Brisbane and South San Francisco. (We call it South City)

I see, I've never been to the area (though I'd like to go), so I wasn't familiar with the local geography (I'd only heard of Candlestick Park in the context of the 1989 earthquake) and was just searching "San Francisco tanker fire 1950s"/ "1960s". I can try different search terms when I have some time later.

BigDon
2013-Oct-05, 01:54 AM
I see, I've never been to the area (though I'd like to go), so I wasn't familiar with the local geography (I'd only heard of Candlestick Park in the context of the 1989 earthquake) and was just searching "San Francisco tanker fire 1950s"/ "1960s". I can try different search terms when I have some time later.

It was just an offhand request, not a homework assignment. :)

But thank you very much anyway.

publiusr
2013-Oct-13, 07:27 PM
Some firewhirls can get quite dangerous:
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/wdl/climate/historicalphotoshtml/twisters22.htm

KaiYeves
2013-Oct-13, 11:41 PM
Some firewhirls can get quite dangerous:
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/wdl/climate/historicalphotoshtml/twisters22.htm

Great, like I wasn't already scared of tornadoes enough, now they're on fire...

The writer in me, however, notes that a firewhirl would be a great combo attack for the pyrokinetic and the wind controller in the superhero story I'm working on.

Trebuchet
2013-Oct-13, 11:56 PM
Great, like I wasn't already scared of tornadoes enough, now they're on fire...

The writer in me, however, notes that a firewhirl would be a great combo attack for the pyrokinetic and the wind controller in the superhero story I'm working on.

Pyro-sharkonado!

HenrikOlsen
2013-Oct-14, 01:59 PM
Now with ‼Sharks‼1

1) Those who've tried Dwarf Fortress will recognize that as a shark that's on fire.

KaiYeves
2013-Oct-14, 03:03 PM
Pyro-sharkonado!

I think the fire would kill the sharks pretty quickly and it'd just be a fire whirl with shark-sized debris. Still scary, though.

publiusr
2013-Oct-19, 06:12 PM
For the sharks you would need one of those Kerry Emanuel hypercanes

KaiYeves
2013-Oct-20, 02:32 AM
For the sharks you would need one of those Kerry Emanuel hypercanes
*Looks up*
Dang, weather, you scary!

novaderrik
2013-Oct-21, 10:42 AM

there was a similar incident not too long ago- maybe a few years ago... i forget where it was, but a tanker full of gas crashed on one of the lower levels of one of those crazy multi level offramp/overpass deals where there are roads above each other going in every crazy direction and caused one of the levels above it to collapse from the heat..