PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State verses Northwestern

blueshift
2013-Oct-01, 02:15 AM
I am a Northwestern fan - a typical Chicago area one. I don't go to the games at all. I don't follow football much and I couldn't name 5 guys on the Bears. Last time I went Ara Parseghian was head coach. We are the most stress free sports fans in the world. We always have a team that basically stinks in talent and everyone knows it. The visiting crowd will outdraw the hometown Wildcat crowd by close to a two to one margin. Northwestern is a brainiac school and half the student body is likely unaware there is a football team there at all and many look down their noses at athletes. Yet, they are lovable because they play way over their heads. Half the high schools in Illinois have more talent in the eyes of many here. All they have to do is scare the crap out of the one ranked team each year for any Wildcat crowd to be satisfied. They have a head coach who was an all-American defensive football player and their defense stinks each year he has been head coach. That shows you where they all learned how to play - in high school.

"That wasn't a bad loss - for Northwestern!"

No other sports team enjoys such an image although Pat Fitzgerald and one or two actual football players on the team hate it.

Their parents sit up in the stands (the ones that show up to the games) and pray to all kinds of gods that their children will come out with less than 10 broken bones after playing the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes know that the Northwestern game is always a benchmark : If you lose to them you don't get invited to a BCS Bowl at all and you slip in the ratings. If you only beat them by a little you could slip and not get invited to the national championship. So a lot of us figure the Buckeyes have to beat the crap out of them - and will. The score likely has two good possibilities and one improbable one. The score will be either 49 - 0, something it should be or 55-28, something closer to reality. If the Buckeyes lose then the rest of college football will claim, "Okay, there is proof beyond a doubt that the Big Ten is over-rated!"

Nate Colburn ( I think that is how one spells his name) should be in the hospital by the second quarter along with one or two other purple jerseys. A few Buckeyes will suffer turned ankles from tripping over those "little shrimps' skinny legs". Trevor Simien will then fill in for Colburn and he can throw deep but can't run and hide like Dan Persa could for a quarterback. As long as the Buckeyes have a big enough lead when Colburn is carried away they probably will take it a little easier on anyone else who comes in and just sack him a half dozen times or so.

But the mangled loss will set the stage for their annual upset - at Wisconsin. The Badgers will take them lightly and shoot their own feet right off. Third string freshmen QB Matt Alviti will get into the game and he can run for his life way better than Dan Persa used to.

So don't feel so bad Fazor. Cleveland's downfalls will be out of your thoughts this coming weekend.

Anyway, that is what SHOULD happen.

Fazor
2013-Oct-01, 03:57 PM
Northwestern shouldn't be taken lightly. They've got a seven game winning streak going for 'em (dating back to last season.) Ohio State should beat them; but that's the wonderful** thing about football -- what should happen and what does happen often aren't the same thing. Any given Sunda--Saturday. Right?

(**Of course, I won't think that's so wonderful should Ohio State lose, but in general, that's one of the fun things about football. Particularly if you're a Browns fan, because they should lose every game.)

blueshift
2013-Oct-01, 04:19 PM
Fazor, I knew you'd reply to this one.

I agree that not knowing the outcome is what makes things neat. My ear will be glued to the radio while I next to my telescope.

btw- I think the Cubs have outdone the Browns over the past many years and this year Chicago baseball massed nearly 200 losses.

Fazor
2013-Oct-01, 06:22 PM
Fazor, I knew you'd reply to this one.

I agree that not knowing the outcome is what makes things neat. My ear will be glued to the radio while I next to my telescope.

btw- I think the Cubs have outdone the Browns over the past many years and this year Chicago baseball massed nearly 200 losses.

There's certainly individual teams that have much lousier history than any individual Cleveland team. But when you look at the combined fruitlessness of the Indians + Cavs + Browns, Cleveland can give just about any city a run for their money. Whether they're the most hapless sports city is debatable, but they're always a finalist in the deliberations.

(For instance, the Cubs trump both the Indians and the Browns, but Chicago has the storied Bears and the unstoppable Bulls teams in recent memory. The White Sox also occasionally stumble across success, though much less so recently. In the MLS, the Chicago Fire are generally up among the top teams as well.)

Swift
2013-Oct-01, 07:55 PM
In the MLS, the Chicago Fire are generally up among the top teams as well.)
I don't follow MLS, as I didn't even know there was a Chicago team, and I think it is funny they are called the Chicago Fire. Do they have a cow as a mascot?

Fazor
2013-Oct-01, 08:06 PM
I don't follow MLS, as I didn't even know there was a Chicago team, and I think it is funny they are called the Chicago Fire. Do they have a cow as a mascot?

You know, I have no idea what their mascot is. We don't let other team's mascots into our stadium ;) (Ours is an anthropomorphic cat in a hard cat, for some reason.) (Crew Cat; our friend's young kids love him.) (Almost as much as I love parentheses.)

blueshift
2013-Oct-02, 11:15 AM
The Chicago Fire has a Dalmatian for a mascot.