PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tom Clancy

LookingSkyward
2013-Oct-03, 01:12 PM
I lived some of your stories.

Solfe
2013-Oct-03, 03:19 PM
I haven't lived any of his stories, but boy did it feel like it. I love his books.

Paul Beardsley
2013-Oct-03, 03:54 PM
That's a shame. I've never read any of his books (tho I started Red October) but I've seen most or all of the films.

iquestor
2013-Oct-03, 03:56 PM
I read "The Hunt for Red October" while underway on an SSBN -- my first cruise!

dethfire
2013-Oct-03, 04:34 PM
Loved Rainbow Six, CPD and Patriot Games

geonuc
2013-Oct-03, 10:38 PM

I think a lot of ex-submariners have a soft spot for that book/movie.

Swift
2013-Oct-04, 02:09 PM
I think a lot of ex-submariners have a soft spot for that book/movie.
A curiousity question: as a non-submariner to an ex-submariner, does that mean the book/movie is fairly realistic (not the over-arching storyline, but in the details of sub operations and such)?

Noclevername
2013-Oct-04, 02:17 PM
A curiousity question: as a non-submariner to an ex-submariner, does that mean the book/movie is fairly realistic (not the over-arching storyline, but in the details of sub operations and such)?

IIRC it was realistic enough to get Clancy called before Congress to see if his research for the book actually violated national secrecy.

iquestor
2013-Oct-04, 02:22 PM

He actually showed up at Subgroup 6 in Charleston and did some pre-screening. The book technical details and militray related bits was pretty dead on, and Tom deduced much of it form publically available information. He was a pretty amazing guy.

geonuc
2013-Oct-04, 09:55 PM

I think it is one of the better ones, at least for US submarine operations. I have never served on a Soviet submarine.

SkepticJ
2013-Oct-04, 11:53 PM
IIRC it was realistic enough to get Clancy called before Congress to see if his research for the book actually violated national secrecy.

This seems like a stupid thing to do. By doing this, they revealed that he did get very close to the truth, and we can all read it. If they hadn't done anything, how accurate it is would be unknown to any potential enemies of the United States.

LookingSkyward
2013-Oct-05, 08:11 AM
There was a lot of error/misinformation in the submarine bits of his books (possibly intentional), but it was a close a look as you can get from the outside, in my opinion. When people ask, I usually say that 'Red October' & "Down Periscope' were bot pretty good representations, if that helps any. Bubbleheads tend to be... different is the best word I can think of :)

geonuc
2013-Oct-05, 09:10 PM
Probably any fictional book about modern nuclear submarines is going to contain a lot of license. Face it, submarine ops were normally pretty boring and even if something interesting - such as a strike on the USSR - were to be written into the story, the procedures we had were still not exactly riveting theater.

Apart from Red October, I think Clancy hit his stride with Red Storm Rising. I guess he had help with that one, though.

Maha Vailo
2013-Oct-08, 11:19 PM
... and with this, the Cold War is officially over. RIP Tom.

starcanuck64
2013-Oct-09, 10:50 PM

It was thrilling reading it at home, I can't imagine what it would have been like while in the conditions he wrote so well about.

Red Storm Rising is my favorite Clancy book, you've got to have talent to make a credible invasion of western Europe by the Soviets as exciting as he did.