PDA

View Full Version : Dixie the dog

Noclevername
2013-Oct-15, 01:09 AM
My Mom just dropped a bombshell on me during dinner conversation. She took our mutually-owned pet Dixie to the vet's to have we thought was an infected toe looked at; it turns out the doc is almost certain it is a bone tumor.

I'm still kind of stunned by the news. She said she wasn't sure whether to have it biopsied or not; I am sure we should. I could not stand not knowing what it really is.

Now, Mom has foot surgery scheduled on Friday, and the only time we can get within the next few weeks is Thursday. Having to take care of both my Mom and Dixie post-surgery at the same time will be very difficult, but not as difficult as waiting around wondering if the dog has cancer.

Dixie was a rescue, she was abandoned at a year old and found under a shed having just given birth to puppies, and infested with ticks. Because of that background she is very friendly and loves people; often when she sees me she rolls over on her back for a belly rub, knowing that I'm helpless to resist. She loves having her ears scratched, loves riding in the car, and hates being left alone. When she's feeling lonely she'll push her head right up under my hand or against my leg to let me know she wants attention.

I thought I had been dealing with my depression well lately. I just had a therapy session this morning and was feeling hopeful that I would soon be well enough to find a part-time job. Now I feel like I've plunged into a hole and can't stop falling.

KaiYeves
2013-Oct-15, 02:20 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Noclevername. Dogs really are part of the family.

Buttercup
2013-Oct-15, 03:15 AM
:cry: Sending healing thoughts to Dixie (and you/family).

LookingSkyward
2013-Oct-15, 08:31 AM
deepest sympathy, buddy.

wishing you & yours all the best,
dave

Noclevername
2013-Oct-15, 09:06 AM
Thank you, guys.

I didn't mean to dump my problems on the Forum, I was just so floored by the news that I had to tell someone.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-15, 10:53 AM
There are many types of benign bone tumors but I don't have any numbers for how common they are vs. malignant. So until the biopsy, I'm just going to have to wait and see.

Swift
2013-Oct-15, 01:54 PM
Thank you, guys.

I didn't mean to dump my problems on the Forum, I was just so floored by the news that I had to tell someone.
You're not dumping, you're sharing.

I hope both Dixie's and your mom's medical problems get better soon.

Paul Beardsley
2013-Oct-15, 03:08 PM
What Swift said.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-15, 03:23 PM
Thank you. My Mother's operation is bunion removal, it's not considered "major" surgery but it has a recovery time of a couple of months, during which she has limited mobility. I guess I had been suppressing stress about that surgery too, plus my Dad having RA, and the thing with Dixie kind of triggered all that to come to the surface.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-16, 11:02 PM
Well, tomorrow morning we bring Dixie to the vet. The latest info I have is that they'll have to completely amputate the toe because the tumor is causing excessive bleeding around the site, and removing only a biopsy "wedge" sample would be dangerous to her. That's just for the test. Then we get to find out if she has cancer or not.

starcanuck64
2013-Oct-16, 11:10 PM
Best of luck to Dixie, it's hard to have members of the family get sick.

LookingSkyward
2013-Oct-17, 08:17 AM
wishing you and Dixie all the best,

dave

Noclevername
2013-Oct-17, 08:34 AM
Thanks.

Today's the day.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-17, 12:57 PM
So she's at the vet's now. They will do the surgery today (full toe) and keep her overnight; it will be more than a week before we get the results.

Cougar
2013-Oct-17, 01:00 PM
The latest info I have is that they'll have to completely amputate the toe.... Then we get to find out if she has cancer or not.

I expect amputating the toe will remove the cancer too. Dixie all better!

Your mom though, that is fairly major surgery. Not life threatening, of course, but a fairly long recovery time. There's your part-time job.

iquestor
2013-Oct-17, 01:04 PM
Good luck man. We have a dog, Molly, who is an integral part of our family for 9 years. she had a cancerous tumor removed 5 years ago and is starting to have health problems on and off again. We spoil her and worry about her, so I understand.

Times are tough, but they will pass. hang on. Things will get better. :D

Noclevername
2013-Oct-17, 01:06 PM
I expect amputating the toe will remove the cancer too. Dixie all better!

Depends on the type of tumor. Most bone cancers are metastasized from other cancers elsewhere in the body.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-17, 05:31 PM
The latest revised plan is that my sister has to go out of town, so I have to be at the hospital when my Mom comes out of surgery. Since we're not sure how long that will be, and since I obviously can't leave Mom alone her first day home, I will have to wait and pick up the dog Saturday morning.

LookingSkyward
2013-Oct-18, 10:15 AM
Keep us updated, Clev, we're thining of you. And your mom, and Dixie.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-18, 10:20 AM
Keep us updated, Clev, we're thining of you. And your mom, and Dixie.

Dixie came out of surgery at about 2 pm yesterday and is recovering well. Today's my Mom's turn.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-18, 10:24 AM
At least my Mother understands what's happening. Poor Dixie only knows that we took her to a strange place and left her there, she's in a cage, and her foot hurts.

LookingSkyward
2013-Oct-18, 11:04 AM
Poor Dixie only knows that we took her to a strange place and left her there, she's in a cage, and her foot hurts. Yeah, I hate it when I have to do that, espescially if one of us can't be with the dog :(

Noclevername
2013-Oct-18, 01:58 PM
I'll be leaving in a few minutes to bring Mom to the hospital. I'll try to check in here when she's home.

redshifter
2013-Oct-18, 06:56 PM
I know exactly how you feel noclevername regarding Dixie. In some ways it's tougher dealing with a pet illness than a human illness because as you say, at least the human can understand what is going on. It's heartbreaking.

Our dog had cancer surgery about a year and a half ago, now it's back in a big way. Large tumor near her hip and another one in her chest. She's on palliative care now with daily pain meds. She's got 3 - 6 mos. It deeply saddens me to think how it's gonna be when she's no longer with us.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-18, 10:55 PM
Got home about an hour ago, it took until now just to get Mom into her house and set up for bed. Crashing on the couch now.

BigDon
2013-Oct-18, 11:16 PM
Oh Clev, I'm so sorry your dog is sick.

My late mother's toy poodle Buddy is getting obviously old now. Just squeezes my heart to see her not being able to jump up on the sofa on the first try anymore.

She used to be able to jump into my arms while I was standing.

Buttercup
2013-Oct-19, 12:14 AM
Still thinking of Dixie, and you/family!

Noclevername
2013-Oct-19, 12:41 PM
If yesterday was any indication, I think I greatly underestimated the difficulty of taking care of both Mom and Dixie at the same time. I'll be picking up the dog today, so we'll see.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Oct-19, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news; hoping for all the best.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-19, 01:16 PM
Our dog had cancer surgery about a year and a half ago, now it's back in a big way. Large tumor near her hip and another one in her chest. She's on palliative care now with daily pain meds. She's got 3 - 6 mos. It deeply saddens me to think how it's gonna be when she's no longer with us.

Man, that sucks. My heart goes out to your family.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-19, 02:54 PM
Dixie's home and playful. Aside from limping a bit and licking her bandage she's fine for now. We still need to wait a week or two to find out the results.

Meanwhile I have a massive stress headache, back to the couch for me

Trebuchet
2013-Oct-19, 02:56 PM
Hang in there, Clev. We're all pulling for you and Dixie. And your Mom.

Sounds like Dixie didn't even get the lampshade around her neck!

publiusr
2013-Oct-19, 06:15 PM
All the best.

Swift
2013-Oct-19, 07:03 PM
Don't forget to take care of the care giver. Hang in there.

starcanuck64
2013-Oct-19, 08:02 PM
Dixie's home and playful. Aside from limping a bit and licking her bandage she's fine for now. We still need to wait a week or two to find out the results.

Do you deep breathing exercises, they help me a lot when I get stressed. A couple of times a day I do cleansing breaths, breathe in through the nose and completely fill your lungs, hold it for a second then blow not too hard out the mouth, repeating that three times. You can say relax as you breathe out if you want, I do.

It really helps calm me down and make me realize how shallow I breathe when I get stressed.

Best wishes Cleve.

KaiYeves
2013-Oct-20, 01:45 AM
I'm glad to see that Dixie's spirits are up today. Hang in there, all of you.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-20, 05:48 AM
I'm glad to see that Dixie's spirits are up today. Hang in there, all of you.

Two days without ear-scratchies and belly rubs were probably more upsetting to her than the surgery. :)

Noclevername
2013-Oct-20, 11:27 AM
Well, now I know how Dixie would get by if she loses that leg; I let her outside, and she just lifted her bad paw out of the way and took off in a three-legged run.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-21, 10:04 PM
Just took Dixie to the vet's to have her bandage changed, he says the stitches look good & can come out in one week. Still no word on the lab results.

LookingSkyward
2013-Oct-22, 07:25 AM
Good to hear that the foot is healing - hoping for the best in the long term.

Noclevername
2013-Oct-29, 08:28 PM
Dixie does not have cancer.

Just got back from the vet to get her stitches out, and the lab report was in; she had a fungal infection of the bone marrow. This particular fungus can cause pneumonia and other severe threats, but the mass of growth was completely removed, so it's probably all gone; she still needs an anti-fungal med just to be sure. It will be expensive, but it's just a precaution.

It's a load off my mind, for sure.

Swift
2013-Oct-30, 12:05 AM
:clap:
Congrats to you and Dixie

Buttercup
2013-Oct-30, 12:31 AM
:) :)

KaiYeves
2013-Oct-30, 12:44 AM
Dixie does not have cancer.

Just got back from the vet to get her stitches out, and the lab report was in; she had a fungal infection of the bone marrow. This particular fungus can cause pneumonia and other severe threats, but the mass of growth was completely removed, so it's probably all gone; she still needs an anti-fungal med just to be sure. It will be expensive, but it's just a precaution.

It's a load off my mind, for sure.
That's good to hear.

LookingSkyward
2013-Oct-30, 11:34 AM
Yay!