PDA

View Full Version : Spike or steeple

neilzero
2013-Oct-21, 05:36 AM
Most scenarios for generation ships are brutal, unpleasant, unethical and will likely fail. My spike (or steeple) method might work. Thanks to many who have made helpful comments about earlier versions of spike and other generation craft problems. Generation ships that can accommodate up to 100 people, but typically have 10 to 20 need to be invented. Launch occur several times per year (for many centuries)
Each craft does a shake down cruse about the inner solar system. When the natural leader decides to join a spike of craft all leaving in the same direction, they go until they decide they should return to the inner solar system. The craft are moving both away and toward the sun at a wide variety of speeds and accelerations. It is a two way convoy, very long, but very narrow, the craft can exchange energy and information, by laser beam when they pass each other and rarely people and supplies can change craft.
About 0.1 light years from Earth, too much energy will be needed to send data to Earth, but it can be relayed many times in the spike to get the data to Earth. Earth cannot get compliance to their directives except by threatening to stop building generation ships of gradually improving design. Most every one in the spike will die if Earth stops sending out more generation ships.
Inbreeding is best minimised by starting with no men and having only rare boy births. Eventually the sperm banks and embryo banks will fail along with all other systems on the craft, but the rare boys can refill the sperm banks, but inbreeding will be the limiting number of generations, as I don't think even a million humans is enough to avoid gradual deterioration, especially if persons with defective genes produce children. Gene diversity may be the most limiting aspect of generation ships. We also need to address the declining diversity of the plants and animals on each craft. Please comment. Neil

Jens
2013-Oct-21, 06:56 AM
Inbreeding is best minimised by starting with no men and having only rare boy births. Eventually the sperm banks and embryo banks will fail along with all other systems on the craft, but the rare boys can refill the sperm banks, but inbreeding will be the limiting number of generations, as I don't think even a million humans is enough to avoid gradual deterioration, especially if persons with defective genes produce children. Gene diversity may be the most limiting aspect of generation ships.

I don't really know where you get that from. I think there are many places on earth where, before the European era, there were populations significantly lower than 1 million that did quite well in relative isolation. I'm afraid to say that technical challenge of getting a million people into deep space is a much more formidable challenge. . .

Noclevername
2013-Oct-21, 11:40 AM
Most scenarios for generation ships are brutal, unpleasant, unethical and will likely fail.

List and specific cons, please.

Solfe
2013-Oct-21, 12:00 PM
Is to the top speed .1 c?

I also thought I would share a link to some text (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100929214736AA6h4CS) on Yahoo Answers that made my brain hurt:

You guys are all thinking way too scientific-y... All you need is a a space shuttle capable of long distance travel over numerous generations.