PDA

View Full Version : Technology that you passed by

Trebuchet
2013-Nov-01, 04:44 PM
As in stuff that was the latest and greatest at one time, but became obsolete before you ever got around to using it.

Inspired by noticing the S-Video ports on both this old laptop and the cable box.

Then of course there were Windows ME, Vista, and, hopefully 8.

Other examples? Big screen projection TV's, anyone?

Noclevername
2013-Nov-01, 04:48 PM
I pass by technology all the time. Or is it technology that passed you by? In Soviet Russia! ;)

Solfe
2013-Nov-01, 04:52 PM
Twitter. :)

Moose
2013-Nov-01, 04:54 PM
3G phones and onward, so far. Also twitter. :)

Buttercup
2013-Nov-01, 04:58 PM
Also twitter. :)

You're missing out!

Seriously, lots of ongoing science updates. News and weather too.

And Clive Barker follows me on Twitter (since 5/2012), I've had some personal interaction with him. That's been a HUGE encouragement in working at becoming an author. :)

Swift
2013-Nov-01, 05:00 PM
I'm rarely an early adapter, so it is a long list. I'm the guy who discovers a new band a couple of years after they broke up. ;)

I also don't consider Twitter a "technology"; it is more the website-du-jour. Like kidney stones, it too shall pass.

Nick Theodorakis
2013-Nov-01, 05:02 PM
Pagers. The aformentioned big screen projection TVs. Video recorders (whether film, tape, or digital). Instant film cameras (e.g. Polaroid -- actually, I used them in the lab before they were supplanted by digital cameras, but never had a personal one). Sony Walkman. 8-track tape players. Digital Audio Tape. Laserdisc (NOT the same as a DVD). Betamax.

Nick Theodorakis
2013-Nov-01, 05:06 PM
I'm rarely an early adapter,

or even an early adopter ;-)

so it is a long list. I'm the guy who discovers a new band a couple of years after they broke up. ;)

Now's the time to check out the folk-pop duo "The Civil Wars," since they just broke after releasing 2 albums.

Nick

Solfe
2013-Nov-01, 05:29 PM
I wish I never had a pager.

I don't understand Twitter. One way communication is done best on monuments.

PetersCreek
2013-Nov-01, 05:43 PM
I completely skipped the iPod and other dedicated MPEG players. I didn't enjoy that functionality until I adopted the Gen 1 iPhone. With CDs at home and in the car, I didn't feel much need for another mobile solution.

Trebuchet
2013-Nov-01, 05:49 PM
I'm passing Twitter by but it isn't gone yet. I thought about LaserDisc but when you get right down to it, it's still here in the form of its descendants CD, DVD, and BluRay.

I think I've still got an 8-track player, built into a radio I seldom use!

Noclevername
2013-Nov-01, 05:51 PM
I passed by smartphones. I'm still using my decade-old flip phone.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-01, 07:15 PM
I completely skipped the iPod and other dedicated MPEG players.

I have one and I still managed to skip it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get songs to stay on it even when they're paid for, there's only 2 permanent songs on it and I have to skip past dozens of "cancelled" songs on the playlist to get to them.

KaiYeves
2013-Nov-01, 08:57 PM
Portable music players in general. I had a CD Walkman (Discman) as a preteen, but I didn't like how the headphones cut me off from the real world. My current smartphone has portable music capability, but using it just doesn't appeal to me-- for that reason, because I don't have room in my backpack for headphones and because I have a good enough memory for music that I just tend to depend on that.

Chuck
2013-Nov-01, 09:40 PM
I don't have a cell phone yet and have never driven a car. I'm two miles from work and have a bicycle.

Trebuchet
2013-Nov-01, 10:17 PM
I don't have a cell phone yet and have never driven a car. I'm two miles from work and have a bicycle.

If I was bicycling two miles to work, I'd tend to think of a cell phone as an important piece of safety gear -- not as much as a helmet, but up there.

ETA: Or walking two miles, for that matter.

swampyankee
2013-Nov-01, 10:22 PM
Several:

Eight track. Never had an 8-track player.

Firearms. Not a soldier, not a policeman, but a bit of a klutz, and I value my toes ;)

Hang gliders. I'd rather be inside the aircraft.

SkepticJ
2013-Nov-01, 10:25 PM
The bow.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Nov-01, 10:28 PM
Any gadget or software prefixed with an "i" or used by in-crowds.

Phillips digital cassettes, Sony Mini-Disc, LaserDisc, 1.44 MB 3 1/2" floppies.

Amphibious cars, add-on spoilers for wannabe sports cars, motorcycle windshields.

Hats with beer can holders and straws, deep-fried butter, and just about anything served as 'food' at the Iowa State Fair.

Hair spray, hair gel, hair dye, and now... hair.

Watching any pool game on TV/YouTube that is not snooker or 9 ball.

Still discovering music from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-02, 12:05 AM
The Atlatl. Never really caught on with me.

redshifter
2013-Nov-02, 12:18 AM
The Sony Betamax...8 track tapes...

Never got into digital media players myself, but then again I'm an audio snob who can't understand how people can be more impressed with how many overly compressed and poorly recorded songs they can cram onto a media player with tiny ear buds than how nice a good, uncompressed recording in a well treated room can sound...

DAT, minidisc (I think that was already mentioned), pretty much every Sony format other than CD/Blu-ray...and some might even argue CD's are a poor medium for really listening to music...

Chuck
2013-Nov-02, 01:27 AM
I don't have a cell phone yet and have never driven a car. I'm two miles from work and have a bicycle.If I was bicycling two miles to work, I'd tend to think of a cell phone as an important piece of safety gear -- not as much as a helmet, but up there.
ETA: Or walking two miles, for that matter.
You're probably right. Maybe everyone should have a cell phone no matter what they're doing.

Solfe
2013-Nov-02, 01:28 AM
The stick figure family stickers that appear on the back of minivans. I just can't do it... In fact, when I see them, I am sorely tempted to steal one of the child sized stickers (or the dog sticker) and move to the side window or bumper.

SkepticJ
2013-Nov-02, 04:01 AM

I know, right?! It really shakes my faith in the youth of today that they can't bring down a mammoth without that lever-based nonsense.

Solfe
2013-Nov-02, 04:09 AM
I know, right?! It really shakes my faith in the youth of today that they can't bring down a mammoth without that lever-based nonsense.

How did I miss that? Atlatl is just a fun word.

pzkpfw
2013-Nov-02, 07:36 AM
The stick figure family stickers that appear on the back of minivans. I just can't do it... In fact, when I see them, I am sorely tempted to steal one of the child sized stickers (or the dog sticker) and move to the side window or bumper.

Replace one spouse with another (of different gender to the one removed), remove one child and replace with another adult, add two kids, swap the kids for pets, ... lots of fun possibilities.

geonuc
2013-Nov-02, 07:58 AM
Smart phones are still current technology.

I'm having trouble thinking of anything significant I've passed on, and I'm hardly a technophile. Pagers, laserdisks. I'm sure I'm a couple of technologies behind in gaming.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-02, 08:13 AM
Smart phones are still current technology.

OK, just the first 4 or 5 generations of smartphones (they must reproduce fast, they go through a lot of generations in a few years!)

Chuck
2013-Nov-02, 03:11 PM
I passed by the electric typewriter. I learned to type on a manual typewriter in high school but didn't take typing the following year where I would have used an electric. I was using a portable manual when I got my first personal computer and a dot matrix printer in 1978.

Trebuchet
2013-Nov-02, 04:25 PM
I passed by the electric typewriter. I learned to type on a manual typewriter in high school but didn't take typing the following year where I would have used an electric. I was using a portable manual when I got my first personal computer and a dot matrix printer in 1978.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of. I didn't pass it by, however. We actually had a computer interface for one so we could use it as a printer, since the printers of the day were incapable of making a decent looking document.

I have a couple of old (~100 years) manual typewriters. They're pretty cool!

HenrikOlsen
2013-Nov-02, 04:35 PM
You should really try one some day, it's incredible how much extra power it gives your throw.

TJMac
2013-Nov-02, 06:47 PM
Darn, good thread. Im having trouble coming up with anything tho, from my lifetime. Not sure I would recognize an Atlatl if I saw one. I did build a few boomerangs and play around with them for a bit, however. Its pure luck that Im still here today. I used an article out of Popular Mechanics, and built a massive thing. I must have gotten lucky with the shape, because that thing, thrown with a sideways motion, would climb into the wind until gravity snatched it back, and then it was coming BACK to the thrower. We would throw it, and then run like mad, and it always seemed to follow...

I guess I did pass the projection screen tv. I wish I had one now. I just discovered there is a quite large fresnel lens in the back. I have a 12" lens, which is fun, but one in the 30" inch area reportedly can get you a 1500-2000 degree spot on a sunny day. Welding goggles and let's see what we can make melt!

I never had a Betamax, but that's kind of nitpicking.

I did miss a few OS I guess. Oh, I still dont own any iFruit items.

It seemed like a trend for a while, everyone was getting there own website, and so had a personalized email address. Me @mycoolsitename.com, or that sort of thing. I never had that.

TJ

Twitter is actually better than it sounds, btw. Initially, I was stunned at how idiotic it sounded. Then I found that you can follow a lot of feeds for news updates, sports, TV shows (Dr. Who!) , a lot of folks involved with NASA, (updates on Curiosity) . You choose, so if you are seeing stuff you dont like, it's only your fault.

Solfe
2013-Nov-02, 07:01 PM
A friend of my yanked the tape out of a beta and placed it in a regular VHS tape shell. Did you know that causes the video to play really fast with no sound?

Considering how expensive VCR's were, my parents wouldn't let my friend touch ours. It would have been cheaper to purchase a Beta machine for Beta tapes.

swampyankee
2013-Nov-02, 07:24 PM
Replace one spouse with another (of different gender to the one removed), remove one child and replace with another adult, add two kids, swap the kids for pets, ... lots of fun possibilities.

Maybe add an extra spouse or two...some exotic pets (dragons? unicorns?)...

Darn...and April 1 is so far off...

NoisyAstronomer
2013-Nov-02, 07:33 PM
DVDs.

I have a whole lot of old VHS tapes and a Netflix account, but I think I skipped the intermediate step.

Side note: My partner offered to digitize all my mom's home videos from my childhood. It's a good thing I don't embarrass easily! And he was quite amused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkepticJ
2013-Nov-02, 08:02 PM
Maybe add an extra spouse or two...some exotic pets (dragons? unicorns?)

Dominatrix silhouette

Cephalopod arms

Chuck
2013-Nov-02, 08:07 PM
I passed by the electric typewriter. I learned to type on a manual typewriter in high school but didn't take typing the following year where I would have used an electric. I was using a portable manual when I got my first personal computer and a dot matrix printer in 1978.That's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of. I didn't pass it by, however. We actually had a computer interface for one so we could use it as a printer, since the printers of the day were incapable of making a decent looking document.

I have a couple of old (~100 years) manual typewriters. They're pretty cool!

I remember ads for the keyboard actuators but not their costs. My first dot matrix printer printed 55 characters per second, didn't do lower case, and cost $1200 in 1978 money.

I skipped the laser printer and got ink jet printers later.

Trebuchet
2013-Nov-02, 11:06 PM
GeoCities! And AOL, despite getting enough free discs that I could have shingled my house.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Nov-02, 11:12 PM
I skipped the ink jet and got a laser printer after having a hard look at cartridge prizes.
4 years later I still haven't had to change the half-full toner cartridge it came with. Had it been an ink-jet I'd probably have had 5+ changes simply from cartridges drying out from infrequent use. Which is the cost of the laser printer recovered just there.

Van Rijn
2013-Nov-03, 12:10 AM
I remember ads for the keyboard actuators but not their costs. My first dot matrix printer printed 55 characters per second, didn't do lower case, and cost $1200 in 1978 money.

I skipped the laser printer and got ink jet printers later.

I didn't really start looking at printers or computers until about 1980. Not only were the printers over a thousand, but a good S100 system could easily run several thousand dollars. I did end up with an Apple II+ ($500 for the floppy drive, $1600 for the computer) in 1980. I remember being very annoyed a year or two later when I bought an affordable but very low print quality Apple thermal printer for about $300. Only about six months after that, far better print quality dot matrix printers prices dropped from over $1000 to what I'd paid for the thermal printer.

Also, around that time, I remember the Xerox and IBM typewriter-like printers cost about $3,000. (Incidentally, both machines had a ball/disk like print module that was far easier to interface than the solenoid for each key scheme.) Later, that style of printer hit the mass market too (maybe '84?). I got a $300 Brother printer, which was just as loud as a typewriter too.

DonM435
2013-Nov-03, 12:18 AM
A friend of my yanked the tape out of a beta and placed it in a regular VHS tape shell. Did you know that causes the video to play really fast with no sound?

I'm pretty sure that you couild have subsequently recorded VHS on there: the tape was physically the same. It's just that the Beta signal was different. It woul;d have been an odd length, though the same width.

In the early days, the blank tape was quite expensive: it was typically $6 for two hours when I got involved, had been even worse before that. In those days, I transferred good spools of tape into another shell a few times, something that seemed rtidiculous in retrospect after the prices dropped.

Van Rijn
2013-Nov-03, 12:23 AM
I guess I did pass the projection screen tv. I wish I had one now. I just discovered there is a quite large fresnel lens in the back. I have a 12" lens, which is fun, but one in the 30" inch area reportedly can get you a 1500-2000 degree spot on a sunny day. Welding goggles and let's see what we can make melt!

You can still get a TV projector. Google "Home theater projector." People usually buy them if they want a really big screen. Essentially the same thing is also handy if you're doing a show-and-tell with a laptop computer.

Here's a current CNET review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-projectors/

Solfe
2013-Nov-03, 12:36 AM
Zip Omega drives and Sysquest 44 and 88 MB discs. Thank you for inventing a piece of hardware that writes to portable disc as pricey as gold. I have two of these drives floating around with no example discs because they were stolen.

SkepticJ
2013-Nov-03, 01:50 AM
You can still get a TV projector. Google "Home theater projector." People usually buy them if they want a really big screen. Essentially the same thing is also handy if you're doing a show-and-tell with a laptop computer.

Here's a current CNET review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-projectors/

That's not the same thing.

Rear-projection big screen TVs were the technology before plasma, LCD, etc. screens.

Solfe
2013-Nov-03, 01:53 AM
That's not the same thing.

Rear-projection big screen TVs were the technology before plasma, LCD, etc. screens. They had a large Fresnel lens inside.

My in-laws had one of those for years. They needed to be tuned up otherwise the projector in the back would separate the colors, creating a blurred image at first and a faux 3d image as time went on.

SkepticJ
2013-Nov-03, 01:56 AM
TJMac, look on ebay. I found a 38" Fresnel on there for less than $40.

neilzero
2013-Nov-03, 02:24 AM
I learned to hunt and peck on a manual typewriter and I still select caps to type a number occasionally = old habits die hard. Long ago, I was serious about 7 inch reel to reel tape recorders, and VHS video tapes and played 8 tracks occasionally after most people put them in the trash, now I am boo-hiss struggling with windows 8. I skipped over most of the others mentioned and don't even know what a few of them are. Neil

Nick Theodorakis
2013-Nov-03, 01:03 PM
Zip Omega drives and Sysquest 44 and 88 MB discs. Thank you for inventing a piece of hardware that writes to portable disc as pricey as gold. I have two of these drives floating around with no example discs because they were stolen.

I've got a box of old ZIP 100 MB cartridges laying around, with no drive to read them. I don't recall them being overly pricy, however.

Nick

Trebuchet
2013-Nov-03, 02:50 PM
I've got a box of old ZIP 100 MB cartridges laying around, with no drive to read them. I don't recall them being overly pricy, however.

Nick

I've got a couple of the drives! One is actually still hooked up. Probably even works.

When we bought our second ZIP drive, quite a long time ago, we hooked it up and immediately had problems. For those unfamiliar with the technology, in the days before USB ZIP drives were on the parallel port, with a pass-through to the printer. Our printer wouldn't work. After some time searching on something called "the internet", over dial-up, I found a list of incompatible printers, with workarounds for all of them. All except one. Ours.

publiusr
2013-Nov-03, 08:51 PM
or even an early adopter

Me--I'm a non-adopter. Still have VHS tapes--still can't play them due to my Tube TV/DVD/VHS eating tapes..
I have never bought a cell phone--and don't do facebook.

The huge laserdisk platters. That I wish I had. I have this idea for a blu-ray analog device that uses the huge disks--no pixelation of the image...never will happen. I did see a CD player that had a vacuum tube in it on TV once...

Trebuchet
2013-Nov-03, 10:10 PM
I have not yet passed by Facebook or NetFlix because they are still with us. But I'm working on it.

redshifter
2013-Nov-04, 07:08 AM
My in-laws had one of those for years. They needed to be tuned up otherwise the projector in the back would separate the colors, creating a blurred image at first and a faux 3d image as time went on.

I still have one in my 'man cave'. It even has a 4:3 screen ratio as opposed to the current 16:9 standard. The blurriness/3-D effect is sometimes caused by the picture tubes getting out of whack and needing realignment (convergence adjustment). Or the convergence IC's might need replacement (assuming the TV is still in use).

DonM435
2013-Nov-04, 02:21 PM
I remember getting a Zip Drive that took 250-megabyte discs, when I still had a computer with a 500-megabyte hard drive. I had a separate removable disc for each project that I worked on, or for each compiler that I used. They were slower, but welcome.

Of course, once writable CDs, external drives and bigger drives in general came into use, 250 Mb was laughably small. The flash drive really killed off the floppy and super-floppy.

IsaacKuo
2013-Nov-04, 08:05 PM
Earlier this year, the CRTs in my rear projection CRT TV finally went out. Keeping the three CRTs in focus and harmonized was a pain, and it was all temperature dependent...never really worked all that well.

I gutted the dead internals and replaced it with an LED DLP projector. Awesome improvement; no focus or convergence issues any more.

There are actually stock DLP rear projection TV sets which work this way, but as far as I know only one or two models were ever made with an LED light source (and these were not available for long). I suspect that the manufacturers were too happy with their revenue stream from replacement bulbs.

Still, if you see a rear projection TV sitting on the side of the road, pick up at least the fresnel and lenticular lenses (the latter can be used for no-glasses 3d). If you can pick up the entire thing, then it can be useful for conversion to LED DLP.

Getting back on topic, I'm a bit more surprised at how little technology passed me by. I tend to be really stingy with technology and might adopt something years after it's passe, but there it is. For example, I did have one really crummy PDA, and we do have one really tiny LCD TV.

CJSF
2013-Nov-04, 08:09 PM
So far, BluRay and DVRs (thought that may need to change soon), and we still have a flat tube CRT television. Haven't had HD yet either.

I've never had an MP3/digital music player, either. I can't get over how much money the things cost vs. the size of them. It's not as bad now, depending on what you get, but initially it was so out of my ability to make peace with it, that I just have left them alone.

CJSF