PDA

View Full Version : Kryptonians: A race filled with several sad ironies.

Inclusa
2013-Nov-23, 07:09 AM
(Based on Man of Steel
In spite of their technologies and intelligence, Krytonians failed as a civilization and a species.
They have a few transhumanist breakthroughs, but they couldn't get rid off coups and dissents (and this is detrimental to the survival of the species.)
They cannot form sustainable colonies off Krypton itself; this is way worse than Homo sapiens in Legend of Galactic Heroes, in which Homo sapiens already establish themselves way off Earth. (Earth is a polluted, dissolute place in the LOGH; only a few fanatics live there and practice the worship of Mother Earth.)
Kryptonians hardly have any ideas about planet sustainability, and their progresses are pretty uneven.
Then again, we have many failed Homo sapien civilizations; otherwise we won't have so many "pretty ruins" for all the tourists.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-23, 08:17 AM
The portrayal of Kryptonians was one of the many things I didn't like about that film.

Besides, they aren't a failure as a species as long as Superman exists, he has their DNA hidden in him.

galacsi
2013-Nov-23, 11:29 AM
Maybe I should not answer and let it go but anyway as I have writen this , I post it :

In spite of their technologies and intelligence, Krytonians failed as a civilization and a species.
They have a few transhumanist breakthroughs.

A transhumanist breakthrough is a success or a catastrophic disaster ? By definition transhumanism is the desire to end humanity as we know it , not good for survival of the human/kryptonian race.

but they couldn't get rid off coups and dissents (and this is detrimental to the survival of the species.)

Yikes ! . . . thanks for your great democratic wisdom . . .

Then again, we have many failed Homo sapien civilizations; otherwise we won't have so many "pretty ruins" for all the tourists.

And who said the egyptians, Sumerians , greeks, romans ,persians and so on and on . . . . have failed ?

And "Pretty ruins" for all the tourists ! ! ! Ruins are rarely pretty ,they can be romantic or sinister or inspiring and sometimes even awe inspiring and they can tell us many things about the past and even ourself.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-23, 01:20 PM
By definition transhumanism is the desire to end humanity as we know it , not good for survival of the human/kryptonian race. he past and even ourself.

The definition of transhumanism is for individual humans choosing to surpass the current limits of humanity. It has nothing at all to do with "ending" the human race, it means to diversify it, by adding more varieties of human.

Doodler
2013-Nov-23, 09:36 PM
Kryptonians innovated themselves into a blind alley, that was the point of Jor El's actions. It's not that hard to believe, look at all the harmful technologies we still use that sheer cultural inertia won't let us break free from. They've just taken it to a sci-fi allegorical extreme.

Inclusa
2013-Nov-24, 02:22 AM
Kryptonians innovated themselves into a blind alley, that was the point of Jor El's actions. It's not that hard to believe, look at all the harmful technologies we still use that sheer cultural inertia won't let us break free from. They've just taken it to a sci-fi allegorical extreme.

Are you referring to various polluting industries we are having?

The portrayal of Kryptonians was one of the many things I didn't like about that film.

Besides, they aren't a failure as a species as long as Superman exists, he has their DNA hidden in him.

I almost forgot that fact.

cjameshuff
2013-Nov-24, 03:16 AM

Unless Superman can reproduce via budding or sequential hermaphroditism and parthenogenesis, having one survivor counts as failing.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-24, 03:19 AM
Unless Superman can reproduce via budding or sequential hermaphroditism and parthenogenesis, having one survivor counts as failing.

Um, yes. Kryptonian womb technology, as established in the film. Did you not see the movie?

cjameshuff
2013-Nov-24, 03:24 AM
Um, yes. Kryptonian womb technology, as established in the film. Did you not see the movie?

Nope. But from the summary I read, that equipment was destroyed.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-24, 03:30 AM
Nope. But from the summary I read, that equipment was destroyed.

Two ships' worth was destroyed, but if Jor-El made plans to give his son all that data to recreate the species, he wouldn't have left him with no way to use it.

ADDED: Also, there's all the abandoned Kryptonian colonies, there may be some survivors there. And the Phantom Zone rebels, still technically alive.

JustAFriend
2013-Nov-26, 07:34 PM
And the one opened cryo-tube, which some have suggested may have held Supergirl.

Besides, with our 5,000 years of history we can't look down at a civilization that lasted over 100,000 years....

Jens
2013-Nov-26, 11:10 PM

Besides, with our 5,000 years of history we can't look down at a civilization that lasted over 100,000 years....

But why would we look either up or down at something that doesn't really exist? It's just something that a human imagined, so anything we might learn from it would be about human creativity, not ET civilizations.

Noclevername
2013-Nov-27, 12:16 AM
But why would we look either up or down at something that doesn't really exist? It's just something that a human imagined, so anything we might learn from it would be about human creativity, not ET civilizations.

The same could be said of any fictional culture. We're not actually saying "we think this is how ETs would be", we're saying "this is how that culture is presented, let's examine it in the context of the story the way it was intended to be seen".

EDIT: When we examine other people, whether they're real or fictional, we develop opinions about them, we judge them. That's what we're discussing here.