PDA

View Full Version : Seti@Home

Gorn
2013-Dec-01, 08:27 AM
Hello. If I download Seti@Home..what happens to my internet bill?

Thanks

G.

Solfe
2013-Dec-01, 04:11 PM
What kind of internet service do you have?

The BOINC software is 10 MB to download (Boinc with VirtualBox is 100 megs), the files that are processed are less than a megabyte each (I seem to recall 300-400 kb files). The results of these files are tiny, less than 20k.

You don't want to do this via highly meter satellite internet services, but other types of services may be just fine. If you stream movies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can't go to youtube, then I wouldn't suggest it.

Gomar
2016-Sep-07, 07:36 PM
I used it for some month or so. Got bored with it.
No results at all from anyone for what a decade? Give me a break!

akeley
2016-Sep-18, 12:56 PM
No results at all from anyone for what a decade? Give me a break!

"The thing to keep in mind is that we're still in the very early days when it comes to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Saying there's a silence is a bit like if Columbus, looking to discover a new continent, only sailed ten miles off the coast of Spain before turning back to say, 'Nothing out there! I guess that whole exploration gig isn't going to work out.',"

...says the SETI Institute's senior astronomer Seth Shostak (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10694445/Faster-computers-will-find-aliens-in-20-years-says-SETI.html)

RenaissanceMan
2017-Jun-26, 12:48 AM
...says the SETI Institute's senior astronomer Seth Shostak (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10694445/Faster-computers-will-find-aliens-in-20-years-says-SETI.html)

That's not what atheists say while demanding "proof" or "evidence" of Nature's Creator. No proof, no Creator, they insist.
Not even "evidence" that they would call such, therefore, no Creator.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (for SETI, but it's just fine for God).

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jun-26, 02:08 AM
That's not what atheists say while demanding "proof" or "evidence" of Nature's Creator. No proof, no Creator, they insist.
Not even "evidence" that they would call such, therefore, no Creator.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (for SETI, but it's just fine for God).

Absence is clearly evidence for absence. As for any god or gods, there's no evidence for presence.

WaxRubiks
2017-Jun-26, 02:19 AM
The singer Madonna, isn't in my livingroom, is that evidence that she doesn't exist?:p

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jun-26, 02:31 AM
The singer Madonna, isn't in my livingroom, is that evidence that she doesn't exist?:p

No, but it's evidence she isn't in your living room. Is there any evidence she's somewhere else?

Swift
2017-Jun-26, 03:25 AM
Closed pending moderator discussion.