PDA

View Full Version : Meteor explodes over NSW

endeavour
2004-Dec-06, 10:30 PM
For those who haven't seen this item yet: a meteor apparently exploded over New South Wales early on Monday morning!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/12/06/1102182230350.html

Has anyone heard anything more about the supposed photograph of the meteorite striking the lamp post in Darwin?

frogesque
2004-Dec-07, 08:08 PM
Pity none of that meteorite made a landfall. At least there is credible back up for the local observations.

The other news item with the photo of a supposed strike in Darwin is still being discussed here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17877&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sta rt=25)

Nicolas
2004-Dec-07, 08:17 PM
Do we have one nice atmosphere, protecting us from these little killers. The large ones have a "free" pass however... 8-[ :)

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-07, 08:27 PM
I didn't realize they could do that...

Ilya
2004-Dec-07, 10:07 PM
Normandy6644,

Your tagline reminds me of the disparaging comment I once heard from a fundie about a cosmologist's lecture: "This person would have us believe that hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas, which, when left long enough, forms people."

I never realized modern cosmology can be summed up so concisely!

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-07, 10:12 PM
Normandy6644,

Your tagline reminds me of the disparaging comment I once heard from a fundie about a cosmologist's lecture: "This person would have us believe that hydrogen is a colorless, odorless gas, which, when left long enough, forms people."

I never realized modern cosmology can be summed up so concisely!

Haha, well mine was more of a joke. I said it when I was giving a presentation about cosmology (I think something with supernovae and the acceleration universe). I had a picture of the evolution of the universe starting with the big bang and ending with present day, and I had to sum it up rather quickly. So I did. 8)

expirationdate
2004-Dec-08, 10:13 PM
I for one am about as dumb as a motionless rock when it come to anything scientific but I do however have theories... my question is could someone explain to me why a meteorite entering our atmosphere would explode?... other than some governemment agency shooting it down.

For those who haven't seen this item yet: a meteor apparently exploded over New South Wales early on Monday morning!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/12/06/1102182230350.html

Has anyone heard anything more about the supposed photograph of the meteorite striking the lamp post in Darwin?

Russ
2004-Dec-08, 10:32 PM
I for one am about as dumb as a motionless rock when it come to anything scientific but I do however have theories... my question is could someone explain to me why a meteorite entering our atmosphere would explode?... other than some governemment agency shooting it down.

Sure! A quick answer is thermal stress. As the "rock" enters the atmosphere, air molecules striking the leading surface heat said surface to very high temperatures. Just under the surface it is still very cold and the difference in temp cause differences in expansion of the "rock" until the stress causes catastrophic structural failure. (an explosion) There are other factors (mechanical stress) such as the differential pressure on the "rock" caused by the air. It can stress the "rock" until it has catastrophic structural failure.

I'm using "rock" as the generic for whatever it's really made of.

expirationdate
2004-Dec-09, 05:25 PM
Thank you Russ, that sounds alot better than my armagaden theory that some government agency blew it up becuase it was going to wipe out our planet!!! haha.

Sure! A quick answer is thermal stress. As the "rock" enters the atmosphere, air molecules striking the leading surface heat said surface to very high temperatures. Just under the surface it is still very cold and the difference in temp cause differences in expansion of the "rock" until the stress causes catastrophic structural failure. (an explosion) There are other factors (mechanical stress) such as the differential pressure on the "rock" caused by the air. It can stress the "rock" until it has catastrophic structural failure.

I'm using "rock" as the generic for whatever it's really made of.