PDA

View Full Version : entalagent life outside of earth

metal_dragon35
2004-Dec-07, 02:20 AM
ok i hear lots of despute about aleins and ufos and stuff but do you realy think there are "others"out there besides us i mean lots of people say no but i think there are i mean space as far as we know it never ends (dose it :-s ) so theres infinet number of planets outthere so theres got to be someone somewere out there. do we even know if space ends i meen like how would end huge black hole or i mean space it prretty much nuthingness rite? its so confuzing i could go on and on but id like to get some of your opinions and ill contien you

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-07, 03:56 AM
I said "no" because I don't know what "intelagent" life is. Or half of what your post tried to say.

Damburger
2004-Dec-07, 09:04 AM
I hope so, because as this thread demostrates, there ain't any here.

frogesque
2004-Dec-07, 09:09 AM
I hope so, because as this thread demostrates, there ain't any here.

:lol: =D> You beat me to that.

Also, beware the Great Alien Typo Monster when commenting on someone else's spelling :wink:

gethen
2004-Dec-07, 02:43 PM
Well, let's at least consider the possibility that the OP was made by a non-native English speaker. I'll vote yes.

frogesque
2004-Dec-07, 03:33 PM
Well, let's at least consider the possibility that the OP was made by a non-native English speaker. I'll vote yes.

see this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=356051&highlight=#356051) about 2/3 down page. 9th grade.

metal_dragon35

Sorry kid, I don't mean to be hard on you but if you want to make headway in this world spelling is important. These days it's so easy with a spell check.

Yes it is possible that there is some form of inteligent life on other planets, possibly in other systems in other galaxys, but so far we have found no solid proof of this.

2nd edit for another typo :lol: That ol' gremlin gets you every time.

iFire
2004-Dec-07, 03:35 PM
When I make a big (for me big = about a paragraph) post I type it in Word so I can spell-check it and if the teacher comes around so I can save.

Bozola
2004-Dec-07, 03:49 PM
It is spelt "in∑tel∑li∑gent".

Evan
2004-Dec-07, 05:11 PM
metal_dragon35,

Communication skills are very important. I have taken the liberty of rewriting and correcting your word usage, grammar and punctuation.

-----------------------------------------
Ok, I hear a lot of dispute about aliens, ufos and other stuff, but do you really think there are "others" out there? Many people say no, but I think there are. I mean that space as far as we know never ends (does it?). So, there's an infinite number of planets out there, so there must be someone somewere out there.

Do we even know if space ends? I mean how would it end? In a huge black hole? Space is pretty much nothingness, right? It's so confusing. I could go on and on but I'd like to hear some of your opinions.

I couldn't figure out this last phrase. "and ill contien you"

mutant
2004-Dec-07, 05:29 PM
I have been told because aliens have not visited our world that it is proof that there is intelligent life out there. #-o

frogesque
2004-Dec-07, 05:49 PM
Evan wrote:

Possibly means, "and I'll continue.", but I'm clutching at straws.

tofu
2004-Dec-07, 05:52 PM
metal_dragon35,

Communication skills are very important. I have taken the liberty of rewriting and correcting your word usage, grammar and punctuation.

In case there are any AOL users in the audience, I've taken the liberty of rewriting it for them as well:

K. 1 HER LOTS OF DESPUTE ALIENS/UFO/ETC R THERE????????????? SOME SAY NOWAY!!!!!! OMG ROFL. SPACE IS TOATLLY INFINET PLUS IT GOES FOREVER AND FOREVER LIKE MY LOVE OF NSYNC THERE ARE INFINET PLANETS UTIL WE ALL FALL IN BLACKHOLES!!!!!!111 LOL!!!!! I CAN GO ON BUT THEN I WOULD RAMBLE AND I DONT WANT TO DO THAT!!!!!1 SO GIVE ME UR OPINON!!!!!11oneoneone I CONTIEN U ALL!!!!

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-07, 06:03 PM
metal_dragon35: If you're into the intelligent life stuff, you might want to check out the Drake Equation. As long as you can multiply, you can understand it and my 14 year old sister (8th grade) knows how to multiply (mathmatically, not sexually... I hope).

Evan
2004-Dec-07, 06:07 PM
Or, you may let someone (http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html) do the multiplying for you.

metal_dragon35
2004-Dec-08, 12:03 AM
hay thanx for correcting my spelling (im not the best speller in the world)see , well i believe in aleins but to an extent like some think all thows pics and videos of the lights in the sky i dont realy fall for that i think thers an explanation for that like a plane,jet,firework,or an rc plane.but i was just wondering if anyone knew or thought about "others"being out there .
and ya it was sapose to be contenue see i cant spell i hate spelling well thank you on your opinions , and spelling lesson lol , but i got to go and study for my finals

Evan
2004-Dec-08, 12:11 AM
I give up.

Omicron Persei 8
2004-Dec-08, 12:31 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/

Learn it, use it, save up to 44%

Bozola
2004-Dec-08, 01:22 AM
hay thanx for correcting my spelling (im not the best speller in the world)see , well i believe in aleins but to an extent like some think all thows pics and videos of the lights in the sky i dont realy fall for that i think thers an explanation for that like a plane,jet,firework,or an rc plane.but i was just wondering if anyone knew or thought about "others"being out there .
and ya it was sapose to be contenue see i cant spell i hate spelling well thank you on your opinions , and spelling lesson lol , but i got to go and study for my finals

I think that's a forgone conclusion...

frogesque
2004-Dec-08, 01:28 AM
#-o Bart Simpson has a lot to answer for.

Moose
2004-Dec-08, 01:34 AM
Heh. To be honest, that level of spelling doesn't surprise me out of a 9th grader. Not anymore. Three years ago, I substitute taught during a lean time in my life. I had a 7th grade science class and English with 8th graders for a month (as well as a bunch of other classes of various ages). Kids were spelling at like the third grade level throughout. I wasn't allowed to dock people for it. Not even in English, except for the spelling quizzes.

frogesque
2004-Dec-08, 02:19 AM
Check out the short story Only an apple (http://www.scrapironworship.com/hertzogenglish/html/shortstoriesframeset.htm) though. 9th/10th grade English doesn't have to be incomprehensible.

I know there are variations in word usage and spellings between US, Oz and the UK and this is acceptable but written mixtures of 'leet' 'mobile' and just plain bad will cripple kids who use it if they wish to comunicate ideas and concepts outside of their own set.

2004-Dec-08, 06:43 AM
Well, I voted "yes". I have no time at all for any of the old "Universe was created with Man in mind" stuff. :x

I've no proof though. So, it's purely a matter of conjecture? :D :D

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-08, 07:36 AM
Heh. To be honest, that level of spelling doesn't surprise me out of a 9th grader. Not anymore. Three years ago, I substitute taught during a lean time in my life. I had a 7th grade science class and English with 8th graders for a month (as well as a bunch of other classes of various ages). Kids were spelling at like the third grade level throughout. I wasn't allowed to dock people for it. Not even in English, except for the spelling quizzes.

At what kind of school did you teach? I TA for a college level astronomy course and can take off points for any misspellings. Otherwise, I'd be having to give a decent grade to someone with a "Mission to Jupitar". And even though it may not be surprising that a 9th grader can't spell, that's no reason to let it slide.

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Dec-08, 08:08 AM
metal_dragon35,

I think I've understood what metal-dragon was trying to say,
it's ..." & I will continue "
such as post your thoughts...
and I will continue discussing this topic

When debating this topic, we can talk about SETI, the Fermi Paradox and Seth Shostak and ask ourselves why hasn't that ET alien life called !!?

I'd point people to something said by Arthur C. Clarke who seems to have a good answer for this.

His ideas on aliens can be is represented by the essay, "Where are they?" "It would be ridiculously optimistic to expect immediate success, since we have had the capacity of making such a search for less than half a human lifetime."

Clarke doesn't buy the argument that the "failure" to find an artificial signal implies we are alone in the Universe. He admits "either answer [alone or not alone] will be awe-inspiring." He says, "The question can only be settled by evidence, not by any amount of logic, however plausible."

Clarke, tries to give it an answer he thinks that "Perhaps, like ants crawling around the base of the Empire State Building, we simply haven't recognized what's going on all around us." Arthur C. Clarke points out that some observed astronomical phenomena are "not so readily explained."

Moose
2004-Dec-08, 11:51 AM

At what kind of school did you teach? I TA for a college level astronomy course and can take off points for any misspellings. Otherwise, I'd be having to give a decent grade to someone with a "Mission to Jupitar". And even though it may not be surprising that a 9th grader can't spell, that's no reason to let it slide.

[see bolded above] Those were my oldest kids. I taught elementary to middle-school (and I will say, the third-to-fifth graders are the funnest. They're occasionally as zany and unpredictable as the younger kids, but they're better able to pay attention, and they're still quite malleable. Very easy to work with.)

And I agree with you. Even middle-school kids will perform in terms of spelling skills if they have to right from the outset.

mickal555
2004-Dec-08, 02:28 PM
I beat you all to it (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=361151#361151) We're both probably the worst spellers in the whole board and were both in 9th grade... I mean Humphrey can spell he just can't type :P . Has anyone ever been to a teen chat room the spelling there *shudder*

BTW I use iespell (http://www.iespell.com/) works great.... but my grammar still needs work.

N C More
2004-Dec-08, 02:54 PM
Well, just to play the Devil's advocate here, there are some people who due to learning disabilities just can't spell very well. My son is one of these people. That said, Spellcheck is one of his best "buddies". Most of his work is done on his lap top and his teachers are notified via the Special Needs Dept. at his High School that he has this problem. He's a junior now and his spelling has improved quite a bit but it's not as good as the average 11th grader. This problem can be overcome somewhat but he'll always need to use Spellcheck...that goodness for technology!

TriangleMan
2004-Dec-08, 05:11 PM
I beat you all to it (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=361151#361151) We're both probably the worst spellers in the whole board and were both in 9th grade.
Nope. Sever (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=83173&highlight=#83173) was earlier than you were although his poor spelling was for a different reason (MSN Messenger lingo). :)

Moose
2004-Dec-08, 05:29 PM
N C More, I do have to say I'm not a spelling nazi or anything, it's not unreasonable of me to expect that by the seventh grade, the majority of "my" seventh-grader kids will be able to spell volcano correctly and consistently on a unit test about volcanos, where I actually used the word repeatedly throughout the test.

They're lazy spellers. Which is understandable, cause nobody's allowed to call em on it.

N C More
2004-Dec-08, 05:46 PM
N C More, I do have to say I'm not a spelling nazi or anything, it's not unreasonable of me to expect that by the seventh grade, the majority of "my" seventh-grader kids will be able to spell volcano correctly and consistently on a unit test about volcanos, where I actually used the word repeatedly throughout the test.

I agree that's outrageous, especially if it's in print right on the test! Lazy to the "max" if you ask me. BTW, why doesn't anyone "call" them on this stuff? Good for you for standing up for the English language!

Moose
2004-Dec-08, 06:03 PM
Because this is one situation where the "slippery slope" argument applies. Kids whine to their parents because they failed their tests. Their parents, convinced that we're oppressing the little tykes, call the school and nag the principal about teachers docking marks on things that aren't part of the core material, even when they are. The principal finally caves to the nagging and ties our hands on that issue to get the parents off her back. Then the little darlings begin to whine about something else.

Lather, rinse, and repeat cycle over a few decades, and you have the state of education today.

It's quite depressing, actually. I don't think I could teach long-term. I don't like watching kids voluntarily ruin their lives, and I _really_ don't like being forced to aid and abet in dumbing down the material.

[Edit: Because I can't let spelling mistakes stand in a post complaining about spelling mistakes. :oops: ]

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-08, 07:08 PM

[see bolded above] Those were my oldest kids. I taught elementary to middle-school (and I will say, the third-to-fifth graders are the funnest. They're occasionally as zany and unpredictable as the younger kids, but they're better able to pay attention, and they're still quite malleable. Very easy to work with.)

And I agree with you. Even middle-school kids will perform in terms of spelling skills if they have to right from the outset.

I meant my question as a rhetorical one.

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-08, 07:13 PM
Because this is one situation where the "slippery slope" argument applies. Kids whine to their parents because they failed their tests. Their parents, convinced that we're oppressing the little tykes, call the school and nag the principal about teachers docking marks on things that aren't part of the core material, even when they are. The principal finally caves to the nagging and ties our hands on that issue to get the parents off her back. Then the little darlings begin to whine about something else.

Lather, rinse, and repeat cycle over a few decades, and you have the state of education today.

It's quite depressing, actually. I don't think I could teach long-term. I don't like watching kids voluntarily ruin their lives, and I _really_ don't like being forced to aid and abet in dumbing down the material.

[Edit: Because I can't let spelling mistakes stand in a post complaining about spelling mistakes. :oops: ]

I agree. The whole state of America's education system is quite poor (and the NCLB isn't helping). It's because of this slippery slope that I gave up wanting to teach high school. I can not give passing grades to people I do not feel deserve them without comprimising my morals. And kids blaming their teachers, parents siding with their kids, and school boards being pressured by parents who don't know what's going on and refuse to see reason because it's "daddy's little girl", it seems most non-college level teacher are forced to comprimise and give out undeserved grades.

EDIT: fixed some redundancy.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Dec-08, 07:18 PM
This thread was started as a discussion about intelligent life, and has gone completely off-topic.

I do not appreciate snide remarks about a poster's ability to spell, make good sentences, etc. If you have comments about such things, send a PM to the poster. Keep in mind some posters are non-native English speakers, young kids, may have learning disabilities, etc. I find comments along these lines distasteful at best.

Get it back on-topic. I will not condone further comments along these off-topic lines.

Gmann
2004-Dec-08, 07:33 PM
To get back on the subject, yes, I think it's out there. Have they tried to contact us? Who knows. Lots of sensational claims have been made, but I haven't seen any solid proof that they have been here. Would they contact us? I say no, not until we find some way to change our warlike ways. If there is a species capable of travelling through interstellar space, they would not share their power system with us because we would probably try to turn it into a bomb of some type. If they are here now, they are watching, but keeping a low profile.

Russ
2004-Dec-08, 08:29 PM
I voted yes in the pole. I consider myself intelligent and Iím on the outside of Earth. Itís too hot for me on the inside. :D :roll:

Also, it is my opinion that there is extraterrestrial intelligence. My reasoning is: In the Milkyway galaxy there is a statistically large enough sample of Sol like stars, that it is statistically impossible that we are alone. If we extend that line of thought to the cosmos in general, the number of intelligent civilizations becomes, well..., astronomical.

Are any of these civilizations visiting Earth in their space ships? Are any of them trying to contact us via some type of electromagnetic radiation? Are any of them listening to our EMR leakage? As to the answers to these questions, there is no proof one way or the other. :)

Van Rijn
2004-Dec-08, 09:20 PM
I'd point people to something said by Arthur C. Clarke who seems to have a good answer for this.

Clarke doesn't buy the argument that the "failure" to find an artificial signal implies we are alone in the Universe. He admits "either answer [alone or not alone] will be awe-inspiring." He says, "The question can only be settled by evidence, not by any amount of logic, however plausible."

This is my position as well. Given the limited data, you can use logic to come to any conclusion you want on this subject. We just don't know enough yet. Do intelligent ETs exist? Are they common? Are they rare? I have no idea, and I am open to any possibility.

But I'll note that Clarke seems pretty clear in other comments on a position that life is common and intelligent ETs do exist. He may not be a Woo-Woo, but he is pretty liberal in what he considers evidence (for instance, he has said he thinks seasonal color changes on Mars are indications of life).

Evan
2004-Dec-08, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately, no evidence isn't evidence. If we actually are alone we can never prove it. The fact that we have no conclusive evidence proves nothing.

Moose
2004-Dec-08, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately, no evidence isn't evidence. If we actually are alone we can never prove it. The fact that we have no conclusive evidence proves nothing.

True, but we can look everywhere we can get to. Eventually, as we look more and more places and search new ways, a negative conclusion becomes more reasonable.

This is why we can reasonably conclude that there is likely no such thing as dowsing or telekinesis or similar effects. The nice thing about a negative conclusion is that should solid, repeatable evidence ever become available, the conclusion can be altered.

As for any conclusion of life on other planets, it is far, far too early to come to any conclusions, although we've seen some encouraging signs lately in terms of the possibility of life.