PDA

View Full Version : Not really a space/astronomy question, but a question for astronomers...

parallaxicality
2013-Dec-06, 03:56 PM
How's the Nibiru weather? I mean, how many requests from the public are you still getting for information about Nibiru? Just wanted to know because, while the media seem to have abandoned it, it's still bubbling under, and getting more attention (twice as much in fact) than it did the year after its 2003 non-appearance.

Swift
2013-Dec-06, 03:59 PM
Just wanted to know because, while the media seem to have abandoned it, it's still bubbling under, and getting more attention (twice as much in fact) than it did the year after its 2003 non-appearance.
I don't have an answer to your question, but what makes you say it is getting more attention? Judging by what I've seen around here, and at least the places I frequent on the web, there is no interest at all in Nibiru at the moment.

Noclevername
2013-Dec-06, 04:02 PM
How's the Nibiru weather? I mean, how many requests from the public are you still getting for information about Nibiru? Just wanted to know because, while the media seem to have abandoned it, it's still bubbling under, and getting more attention (twice as much in fact) than it did the year after its 2003 non-appearance.

Nibiru was used as the name of an inhabited planet in Star Trek Into Darkness. That might have driven up some Googling of the name.

NEOWatcher
2013-Dec-06, 04:08 PM
Nibiru was used as the name of an inhabited planet in Star Trek Into Darkness. That might have driven up some Googling of the name.
Could be, but I also see a lot of eeew tubes where they are claiming ISON is really Nibiru.

Noclevername
2013-Dec-06, 04:17 PM
Could be, but I also see a lot of eeew tubes where they are claiming ISON is really Nibiru.

Anytime something moves in the sky, expect it to be Nibiru.

parallaxicality
2013-Dec-06, 04:17 PM
I got the info from Google Trends (http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=nibiru). Searches for the term "Nibiru" are twice what they were in 2004, the year after the first Great Disappointment (or is that Great Missed Appointment?).

Jeff Root
2013-Dec-07, 01:17 AM
There must be ten times as many people on the Internet now
as there were in 2004. How does that figure in?

I had lots of conversations with Nancy Lieder in early 2003, in
sci.astro. Is she still hanging on?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

parallaxicality
2013-Dec-07, 09:53 AM
Yep. Her new hangout is called poleshift.ning.com