PDA

View Full Version : Does Losing Sleep Mean Gaining Weight?

Candy
2004-Dec-07, 11:19 AM
Does Losing Sleep Mean Gaining Weight? (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=041207&cat=frontpage&st=frontpagesle ep_appetite_041207&src=abc)

Researchers from the University of Chicago and Stanford University have completed two studies that show lack of sleep causes changes in hormones that result in increased appetite and weight gain.
I find this article disturbing, but true. With my schedule and lack of sleep, I believe I have gained ~20 pounds in the last 1.5 years. :oops: I canít wait until I get back to my normal regimen.

frogesque
2004-Dec-07, 11:38 AM
I go along with what the article says. At one time a few years ago I was on a 12 hour 7 day week. I used to crave sugary starchy stuff and just munch to stay awake. I stuck it for about 6 years but was physically, mentally and emotionally fried at the end (and I still had to lose the business I'd worked so hard for). When it was over I trained for a half marathon and with sensible diet, physical exercise and a lot of sleep I lost about 50 lbs in 6 months.

Swift
2004-Dec-07, 02:22 PM
I agree. Even one night with less sleep and I find myself more hungry the next day.

gethen
2004-Dec-07, 02:27 PM
Weird. I've always found that when I'm not getting enough sleep, I tend to lose weight, and figured that maybe stress was the reason.

Master258
2004-Dec-09, 03:00 AM
i already knew this. I'm in wrestling so i have to watch what i eat. I was always hungrier with less sleep. plus i learned if you go to sleep a little over with enough sleep you lose some.

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-09, 04:01 AM
I go along with what the article says. At one time a few years ago I was on a 12 hour 7 day week. I used to crave sugary starchy stuff and just munch to stay awake. I stuck it for about 6 years but was physically, mentally and emotionally fried at the end (and I still had to lose the business I'd worked so hard for). When it was over I trained for a half marathon and with sensible diet, physical exercise and a lot of sleep I lost about 50 lbs in 6 months.

Please be more specific. Define sensible diet and physical exercise and a lot of sleep.

What did you eat?

How did you work out?

How much did you sleep?

Help me PLEASE! :D

sarongsong
2004-Dec-09, 05:06 AM
...I can?t wait until I get back to my normal regimen.
Body has tough time adjusting to shifting sleep times (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/12/08/special_reports/science_technology/16_42_1112_7_04.txt)
"...Monk said the study has implications for anyone who must change schedules...some tips for people whose work schedules interfere with normal sleep patterns: Go to bed as soon as possible after a night shift; make rooms as dark and quiet as possible while sleeping; use caffeine sensibly, and avoid using alcohol before sleep. The jury is still out on whether melatonin helps, he said."

cyswxman
2004-Dec-09, 07:20 AM
As a rotating shift worker (my shifts rotate, not me :x ), this is an issue near and dear to me. I work all day or all night, rarely more that 4 in a row before switching. I sleep like a baby...a newborn that is, never through the night. I'm lucky if I get more than 2 hours at a stretch before awakening. :evil: Melatonin did not help. Oddly, it seems the "best" sleep I do get is after a soft drink like Dr. Pepper. :-k

frogesque
2004-Dec-09, 09:31 AM
Please be more specific. Define sensible diet and physical exercise and a lot of sleep.

What did you eat?

How did you work out?

How much did you sleep?

Help me PLEASE! :D

OK. First off have a med check and determine your own ideal weight and any other probs. Also, if contemplating a lot of road running get a dental check; grumbly, sensitive teeth tend to act up when doing a lot of exercise.

Diet was calorie controlled 2000 cal /day max. Lots of fruit &, veg, lean meat/chicken, fresh baked bread, a little sunflower spread, some pasta etc. Small portions but very varied and flexible diet.

No-goes were sweets, chocolate, butter, cream, fries, all the usual stuff that we know and love :lol: Weekly treats were allowed but limited to two beers at most or maybe some ice cream and fruit.

Excercise regiem started with a short warm up session indoors, gradually extending this to about 20 mins. No weights, just bending, stretching, push ups etc. After a couple of weeks the body gets used to aerobic exercise and the breathing starts to flow and be comfortable. Time to start pounding the road.

You need a decent pair of trainers for running with some shock absorbency (not designer high fashion) and comfortable cotton socks to take the friction and prevent blisters. Get the socks first then you can try the trainers for fit. First run was about 200 - 300 yards or so ( ran too fast, it nearly killed me :lol: ) but each day I extended the run until I could jog a mile without stitch or gasping for breath. Once I got to that point I found I could settle into a pace and it was easy to then build up the distance to 5 miles daily and a longer 10 - 15 mile once a week taking in some off level terrain and grass. I wasn't really interested in speed though I would do a few bursts but make sure you are properly warmed up. A pulled tendon or muscle is NOT funny. At the end of a run I would take 5 mins to gently stretch and cool down before a quick wash or shower.

When doing anything much over a mile it's essential to take plenty of water to prevent dehydration. I never bothered with the fancy sport drinks but if they work for you then I wouldn't say no. I only ever threw up once and that was because I took an orange with me to eat while running so I would suggest timeing runs so that meals are reasonably well settled first.

I'm lucky here, there is a lot of interesting and varied terrain with some quiet roads so I never had to do park circuits. I found the simple mindless repetition of putting one foot in front of the other very healing and allowed the mind to float - it can be almost dreamlike so watch out for traffic. Remember, not only was I carrying a lot of extra poundage I also had a lot of emotional baggage and anger as well. An awful lot of that garbage got left behind on the tarmac.

I wasn't obssesive about my weight loss and it just came off naturally and I really enjoyed doing the actual 'race' I had just turned 40 and came home just outside 2 hours for the 13.2 miles (I think the winner clocked around an hour!).

I think what helped a lot was that as a kid I used to do field running (distance) and cross country because I hated team sports, I also had a cycle almost permanantly welded to my backside and I very quickly fell into the easy going aerobic breathing. Now 57 I still have excellent lung capacity so maybe I had an advantage.

I sounds obvious but distance running takes a lot of time to train so if you want to go this route make sure you can fit it into your schedule without additional stress (otherwise there is no point) Decent sleep patterns and the weight loss should be a natural consequence.

This all worked for me at that time in my life. It got my head and body back into some kind of order without taking one pill but you have to judge for yourself whether it's right for you.

I'm 5' 5", weight before was 190 lb, after was 136 lb, now I'm stable about 150 lb.

Candy
2004-Dec-09, 02:30 PM
... and avoid using alcohol before sleep. Yeah, right. 8-[

I do about 3-4 hours of homework when I get home, so sleeping is out of the question.

I sleep with a feather pillow over my head and a fan on high. I usually get 3-4 hours of deep sleep, until... the phone rings! The answering machine is in the kitchen (I can't turn it off due to my mom's situation). Everytime the phone rings, the evil demon four legged puff ball has to wake me up when she hears a strange voice/noise in the house. She's only 6 pounds, but she makes a big statement!

I've tried locking her out of my room, but she BANGS on the door. :o

Then I try to take a nap before work (~2 hours).

I figure 2.5 more months, if I've not dead, it will all be worth it. I figure my last two classes I will spread out over a 16 week semester. My graduation date would be the same, anyway. That way I can spread out the school work, go back to the gym, and still have no life.

AT LEAST, I WILL HAVE SLEEP! :P

MrObvious
2004-Dec-10, 12:12 AM
frogesque,

You inspire me to give up the beer, bourbon and cigarettes. I loved exercise but its been a long time since I did it. I'm turning 40 soon so it's high time I started enjoying the things I missed out on. :D

SciFi, Looking at your photo I wouldn't have thought that you needed much help. If you want a training partner let me know, in advance, the swim's quite long.... :wink: