PDA

View Full Version : Earth-Like Planets - Kepler Mission

solarsystem
2013-Dec-10, 09:41 AM
With the help of today's technology we are able to search life beyond Earth. According to astronomers there can be billions of earth like planets in Milky Way galaxy. If this is the sistuation for our galaxy by adding the other earth like planets in other galaxies we are reaching to the number of billions of billions planets.

For this mission Kepler spacecraft has been launched in 2009 by NASA and in its 4 years it succeed to discover many earth like planets in a habitable zone of their solar systems. The nearest of these planets is only 12 light years away from the Earth. Until now Kepler has discovered earth-like planets in Lyra, Draco, Cygnus constellations. Some of these planets are Kepler-32e, Kepler-32f, Kepler-42c, Kepler 42d...totalling nearly 200 confirmed earth like planets.

It is very exciting to hear such news which clarify that there are billions of earth like planets in other solar systems which are able to support life. Not only in our galaxy but also in Andromeda and other galaxies.

<link to blog removed>

NEOWatcher
2013-Dec-16, 02:39 PM
Yes; It's exciting.

But; what do you want to discuss?

quinlansolo
2014-Jan-17, 08:45 PM
What is exciting about finding a Planet perfectly conducive for life?
I don't know if we ever will be able to observe intelligent life in outer space.
Until then all the hypothesis will remain conjecture.

Amber Robot
2014-Jan-17, 11:46 PM
What is the definition of "Earth-like"?

Spacedude
2014-Jan-18, 03:50 AM
According to astronomers there can be billions of earth like planets in Milky Way galaxy.

Perhaps you meant just "planets"?
I would take a leap and guess at a number approximating a few million earth-like planets in the MW. Most of which are older than our Earth, some much older.

Sardonicone
2014-Jan-18, 04:12 AM
Perhaps you meant just "planets"?
I would take a leap and guess at a number approximating a few million earth-like planets in the MW. Most of which are older than our Earth, some much older.

Spacedude - I think he is referring to this article - http://www.nbcnews.com/science/8-8-billion-habitable-earth-size-planets-exist-milky-way-8C11529186

I am unaware of the exact extrapolation involved but whatever methods they used, it came out to the 8.8 billion.

I can't say whether or not this is a gross exaggeration, at best I can say we really don't know for sure. Kepler did bring us some remarkable data, and show planets are a lot
more common place than we thought, maybe even then we had hoped.

However that's still a huge leap away from showing convincing evidence (in my mind) that gets us to "billions of earth like planets".

quinlansolo
2014-Jan-20, 11:01 PM
Yes; It's exciting.

But; what do you want to discuss?

Other than conjecture?

Amber Robot
2014-Jan-21, 07:26 PM
This paper:

" Prevalence of Earth-size planets orbiting Sun-like stars"
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1311.6806

seems to be the one to which the link is referring. And I take issue with the article saying that the number was "calculated — not estimated", when it is clear from this paper that the final number is from an extrapolation.

kzb
2014-Jan-22, 06:54 PM
Amber Robot, yes that paper came out a last year. It's a very interesting paper, but look at their Figure 1. What I notice about this is, even after Kepler, every single planet in our solar system is deep in the area of low detectability.

In other words, if Kepler had been looking at our system from outside, so far, it's unlikely that even a single planet would've been detected.