PDA

View Full Version : "Return of the Planet Nibiru!"

brownpau
2001-Nov-13, 07:53 AM
Hi there, everyone! I'm new here, from the Philippines. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I run a small webpage and egroup to verify and debunk Filipino urban legends and hoaxes, and lately, the egroup has been getting spam about "Planet X," or "Nibiru," an ancient planet orbiting a hidden "dark sun," whose arrival brings catastrophe and disaster to the Earth every few thousand years. Apparently, "Nibiru" will be swinging around here again in 2003, and we should all be prepared for the chaos. (Tinfoil hats, anyone?) He even links to existing astronomy news articles, claiming that government coverups are hiding Nibiru's existence behind the disguise of asteroids and Kuiper Belt Objects.

The "Planet X" theory enjoys a moderate amount of popularity in New Age circles, but I don't think it's ever been regarded as credible enough to be taken seriously by more sober individuals. As such, my Googling about on this has not turned up a decent scientific debunk. While I'm enthusiastic about amateur astronomy, I have not the scientific acumen to properly answer these wild claims.

What do you folks think? (Next post will have the full text of the spam email I've been getting. By the way, Bad Astronomer, I emailed you this yesterday, before I discovered that you had a discussion board. My bad.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brownpau on 2001-11-13 03:00 ]</font>

brownpau
2001-Nov-13, 07:57 AM
Here's the full text of the email...

Zecharia Sitchin, the world renowned scholar and acheologist now finally agrees, "I prophesise the return of this planet called Nibiru AT THIS TIME!"

http://www.surfingtheapocalypse.com/sitchin.html

Trusting the Pentagon/gov't to guard itself & relay needed information to protect you is clearly illogical.

In July, 2001 the red object "2001 KX76" was disclosed. This was the original attempt at misdirection to cover-up Planet X, Nibiru, Wormwood, or THE MOST REVERED HEAVENLY BODY IN ALL ANTIQUITY. After 3600 years on its regular orbit it will pass again in SPRING 2003. It's RECORDED IN ANCIENT TEXTS & the SCIENCE OF ARCHEOLOGY shows its effect on Earth with each passage. Yes, some conspiracies are without merit, ignoring history and science is another matter. The faint red cross to the left of this red object in the middle of this photo is X.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20010702/kuiper.html#

By August 2001 the disinformation had changed to the "LARGEST ASTERIOD EVER" and it's now shown as blue. It's the same label on a different object.

http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-rel/pr-2001/phot-27-01.html#note3

When the attention was drawn to the area by announcing the "Largest Asteriod" was there, they made sure the color of the new "2001 KX76" was blue. All speculation about a large DULL RED inbound brown dwarf coming in from that direction was to be avoided. This is one of their tactics for hiding Planet X. First labeling an object near where its coming in from, then using that same label for another object to misdirect attention. They will continue to identify objects ahead and around X to misdirect attention. The normal helpful & professional Nasa employees are being evasive & condescending when asked about it.

Here's where to find the real X coordinates:

http://www.zetatalk.com/usenet/use90207.htm

X has INTENTIONALLY BEEN MADE TO SOUND RIDICULOUS and confusing for several reasons. One of which is to avoid causing panic among the world's population. Many websites and articles continue to be written about Planet X that spread lies. They say it only MAY exist and comes around only once every few million years IF it does. This disinformation is widespread. X orbits between our sun and its dark twin. A diagram from the 1987 NEW SCIENCE & INVENTION ENCYCLOPEDIA shows our dead twin sun & the 10th planet.

X's MASS, MAGNETISM & DENSITY is such that it DISRUPTS the surface of EVERY PLANET IT PASSES. In fact, history shows approximately 7 YEARS PRIOR to its passage its far reaching eletromagnetic/gravitational influence changes Earths core flows TRIGGERING WEATHER, VOLCANIC & SEISMIC ACTIVITY. Since early 1996 traditional WEATHER has CHANGED DRAMATICALLY, breaking all time records regularly. The up-tick of QUAKES, VOLCANIC INCIDENTS & changes in ELECTROMAGNETICS are being kept out of the media as much as possible. Weather alone can falsely be blamed on global warming & sun cycles but not earths rumblings at the same time.

Research the advent of PLANET X and the cataclysms it will trigger by passing EARTH. Being prepared and FOREWARNED gives one an EXCELLENT CHANCE to SURVIVE.

"BLINDSIDED, PLANET X Passes in 2003, EARTHCHANGES!"

Even the majority of the earthchange intuitives prophecies are tied into or name Planet X.

ALL OTHER NEWS PALES IN COMPARISON TO THIS IMPENDING MEGA WORLD WIDE EVENT OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS.

For more information:
http://www.metatech.org/planet_x_niburu_earth_changes.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preparation2003
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpiritualPrep2003
http://www.planetx2003.f2s.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brownpau on 2001-11-13 03:00 ]</font>

Iain Lambert
2001-Nov-13, 11:07 AM
You've got to love a Planet X thats actually + shaped, don't you? This is just so confused and self-contradictory I don't know where to start. The article about the Kuiper Belt Object clearly states how its a Sun-orbiter, not some bizarre 'dark-sun' orbiter that swings past every now and then. But then something that regularly goes past in this way would be orbiting the Sun, wouldn't it?

"X's MASS, MAGNETISM & DENSITY is such that it DISRUPTS the surface of EVERY PLANET IT PASSES"

Oh really? Without perturbing the orbit of the planet? Thats one clever object.

"ALL OTHER NEWS PALES IN COMPARISON TO THIS IMPENDING MEGA WORLD WIDE EVENT OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS"

Rather a bad day for a statement like this, I fear.

Finally, I realise that I'm making an ad hominem attack just like their appeal to authority, but I never trust a prophet who can't control their caps keys.

Kaptain K
2001-Nov-13, 04:09 PM
For more than you would EVER want to know about Nibiru (i.e. Dark Star), go here:
http://members.madasafish.com/~andy3751/
FWIW Crank.net lists this site as "cranky".
From a brief perusal, it appears to have been updated since I waded through it last spring. I am not masochist enough to do it again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2001-11-13 11:10 ]</font>

The Curtmudgeon
2001-Nov-13, 06:36 PM
I have to admit to having read all of Sitchin's books (to date), and enjoying them immensely. WAIT! Before you start calling the men in white, I didn't say I believed them. I just think he's got a very vivid imagination and a great way of writing sci-fi/fantasy so that it reads almost like real science. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

His explanations of Nibiru have changed enough over the years that I'm not too worried about this prediction. He's just trying to drum up sales again, possibly with a new book or two to be released. It'll all blow over the way that 5/5/2000 book did last year (yes, I realise that wasn't his). Then a couple of years after he'll come up with a new twist on Nibiru.

The (his books are much better than The Wonderful Mushroom Planet I read as a child) Curtmudgeon

ToSeek
2001-Nov-14, 01:50 PM
Oh, come on! Nothing could be better than the Mushroom Planet books! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kaptain K
2001-Nov-14, 04:50 PM
Books? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif There was more than one? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

ToSeek
2001-Nov-14, 05:38 PM
On 2001-11-14 11:50, Kaptain K wrote:
Books? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif There was more than one? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (1954)
Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (1956)
Mr. Bass' Planetoid (1958)
Mystery for Mr.Bass (1960)
Time and Mr.Bass (1967)

Eleanor Cameron bibliography (http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Eleanor_Cameron)

Mr. X
2001-Nov-14, 06:01 PM
The Dark Star Theory takes a radical new look at the mythology regarding the 'Winged Disc'. This Mesopotamian and Ancient Egyptian symbol denotes the presence in our solar system of the Sun's dark sister, a failed star classified as a 'brown dwarf'.

This Dark Companion of the Sun seems to have its own habitable planetary system, home to the mythical 'gods' of the ancient world.

Ahhhh! The Gods are aliens!

For almighty and superpowerful gods sounds to me like they have to cope with a rather crappy situation.

Our history and our destiny are tied to this dark star 'Nibiru', and an analysis of the myths, regarding this massive unseen 'planet', provides us with remarkable insights about the appearance of the Messianic Star two millennia ago.

Gentlemen, I propose we destroy Nibiru [Robert Redford style] and all its crazy orbiting critters.

Let's just see how those powerful Gods deal with thermonuclear devices! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The Curtmudgeon
2001-Nov-14, 07:44 PM
The Dark Star Theory takes a radical new look at the mythology regarding the 'Winged Disc'. This Mesopotamian and Ancient Egyptian symbol denotes the presence in our solar system of the Sun's dark sister, a failed star classified as a 'brown dwarf'.

Yep, that's one of the things I love about Sitchin's writing: take a perfectly ordinary ancient symbol (the winged disk), with a perfectly obvious meaning that is consistent in every single occurence (the sun), and say, "Well, that's too bloody obvious so it must be wrong. What else could it be? Oh, it must be a dark sun!!" I mean, there's not one person in a million who would have had the breadth of imagination to have come up with that one. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif The man's simply a genius, and we should all acknowledge it.

This Dark Companion of the Sun seems to have its own habitable planetary system, home to the mythical 'gods' of the ancient world.

And those would be the mythical gods of the ancient world like Ammerasu? Odin? Coyote? Rainbow Serpent? Hermes? Kali? Pele? Ba'al?

Oh, only the mythical gods of the ancient Mesopotamian world. Sorry, my bad.

The (a gold star if you identify all the pantheons) Curtmudgeon

Matherly
2001-Nov-14, 08:07 PM
Hmmm...

Well Coyote is Coyote. The great trickster needs no steenkin' pantheon.

Pele... Volcano goddess of the indiginous people of Hawaii?

Kali... er... thoughts of murder come to mind... d'oh can't come up with it.

Odin One-Eye is of course from the Norse.

Rainbow Serpent... no idea but instinct tell me South American...

Hermes was Zeus' messenger in the Greek pantheon

I think Ba'al is actually a title meaning ruler, not a God, but it was used extensivly to indicated the ruler of a pantheon that was worshiped by... er... d'oh can't remember.

Ammerasu? No clue on that one.

I am a font of useless knowledge

Russ
2001-Nov-14, 09:03 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I find the fact that people like this guy are getting published ANYWHERE, is VERY unnerving. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

I know, I know! Lay off the caps and bolding. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 2001-11-14 16:05 ]</font>

The Curtmudgeon
2001-Nov-14, 09:22 PM
On 2001-11-14 15:07, Matherly wrote:
Hmmm...

Well Coyote is Coyote. The great trickster needs no steenkin' pantheon.

Perhaps not, but he's a part of the Navaho/Hopi pantheon(s) (perhaps other southwestern AmerIndian tribes as well).

Pele... Volcano goddess of the indiginous people of Hawaii?

Bingo. Although 'indiginous' is perhaps a misnomer (like 'Native American'): the Polynesians arrived in Hawai'i only a few (six or eight at the most) centuries before the Europeans. [Muttered aside: Mount Pelee is a volcano in the Caribbean (Martinique?). Where the heck did _they_ get the name?]

Kali... er... thoughts of murder come to mind... d'oh can't come up with it.

You certainly were on the right track, as she was the goddess of the Thuggees in India, and appears in the Hindu pantheon.

Odin One-Eye is of course from the Norse.

That's two. See also The Sorrow of Odin the Goth, my favourite of the Manse Everard stories by the late, great Poul Anderson.

Rainbow Serpent... no idea but instinct tell me South American...

Nope, Native Australian (aborigine). Well, saying that is like saying "Native American", as far as pantheons go: there's not truly a single aborigine pantheon just like there's not a single aborigine tribe. But I don't know the specific tribal name(s), so we'll go with just 'Native Aussie', if you don't mind.

Hermes was Zeus' messenger in the Greek pantheon

That's three, but it was pretty easy after all (I almost left out the Greek pantheon since it was so easy).

I think Ba'al is actually a title meaning ruler, not a God, but it was used extensivly to indicated the ruler of a pantheon that was worshiped by... er... d'oh can't remember.

Well, the name appears as a combining form also, but alone is usually used for the sky and/or mountain god of the Canaanite pantheon.

Ammerasu? No clue on that one.

Japanese; she's the Sun Goddess from whom the Emperor was supposed to be descended. I'll confess that I'm not sure I got the spelling right on this one.

I am a font of useless knowledge

Consider yourself refilled to overflowing. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The (just wasting time waiting on a sysgen) Curtmudgeon

David Hall
2001-Nov-14, 11:46 PM
The correct form is Amaterasu.

The Curtmudgeon
2001-Nov-15, 07:23 PM
Thanx! I was thinking that I had dropped a 't' somewhere.

'he Cur'mudgeon

The Rat
2001-Nov-16, 03:04 AM
What do you folks think?
Here's the 'official' website (ACK! Gag sputter barf...)

http://www.nibiruancouncil.com/

YEEEEEEESH!! (Eyes bug out, head shakes, strange noises are heard...)

The Curtmudgeon
2001-Nov-16, 08:20 PM
On 2001-11-15 22:04, The Rat wrote:

What do you folks think?

Hey, bartender! I'll have what the lady in the green is having! Must be some pretty powerful stuff--homemade Connemara poitin only makes me see bright coloured stars and discuss Finnegan's Wake with strangers.

The (Finnegan used to hear voices, too) Curtmudgeon

Lisa
2001-Nov-16, 09:40 PM
On 2001-11-15 22:04, The Rat wrote:

What do you folks think?

YEEEEEEESH!! (Eyes bug out, head shakes, strange noises are heard...)

I only read one article, "The Human/Reptile Conflict". Um yeah sure. Makes sense to me. ::rustling sounds of rolling papers::
Lisa

Mr. X
2001-Nov-16, 10:52 PM
That is terrible at best.

It's at times like these I wish I was a psychiatrist.

Still young, maybe I'll be one, the world needs desperate help.

My diagnostic: INSANE.
Treatment: Electroshock therapy.
2nd Course of action: The Mister X chamber for 30 years. Solitary confinement. 24 hours a day in darkness, constant shocking, and ice cold water. For a total of 10 957,5 consecutive days.
Ocasionally extremely disturbing images are projected with disturbing sounds.
Theory: Since it would make a sane person insane it should therefore make an insane person sane.

Tada, my cure. I would be a great psychiatrist! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaptain K
2001-Nov-17, 10:02 AM
It's at times like these I wish I was a psychiatrist.
Still young, maybe I'll be one, the world needs desperate help.
Unless you intend to go through four years of medical school to get an M.D. and then more classes for the equivalent of a Ph.D., I would suggest you shoot for psychologist.

Mr. X
2001-Nov-17, 04:17 PM
I don't fear that.

And I could become a M.D. if my grades in biology weren't so damn low!
Biology = my worst subject = I don't know squat in biology.

That and I hate biology.

Trish
2001-Nov-18, 03:29 AM
These are just a few of many duties performed by the Greater Nibiruan Council. This list does not really do justice to the extensive management and guidance they provide. The Greater Nibiruan Council has many smaller councils and teams comprised of beings at all dimensional levels. There are literally hundreds of thousands of beings in the Council.

Each dimensional council interacts with the other dimensional councils above and below it. Though provided with guidance from the higher levels of the Nibiruan Council, each dimensional council has the right to choose how they will address issues. Overall the dimensional councils get along quite well. Disputes are most often easily resolved.

Um, ok. Since when have that many individuals (of any species) been able to resolve anything easily?

Donnie B.
2001-Nov-18, 12:01 PM
Hee hee, this stuff is too funny.

I'd like to know how they communicate with, and get the opinions of, all those one- and two-dimensional beings.

The Rat
2001-Nov-18, 01:54 PM
On 2001-11-16 17:52, Mr. X wrote:
For a total of 10 957,5 consecutive days.

Good astronomy! You accounted for leap years, many would forget to do that.

Sort of like 'A Clockwork Orange', with rap instead of Ludwig Van?

Mr. X
2001-Nov-18, 03:34 PM
On 2001-11-18 08:54, The Rat wrote:

On 2001-11-16 17:52, Mr. X wrote:
For a total of 10 957,5 consecutive days.

Good astronomy! You accounted for leap years, many would forget to do that.

Sort of like 'A Clockwork Orange', with rap instead of Ludwig Van?

I always add up leap years for some unknown reason! And for some unknown reason, the area and the length of ellipses has become some sort of obsession of mine, too. **cough** insane **cough**.

I'd like it more disturbing than 'A clockwork Orange'. Maybe more along the lines of some of the eyeball tearing scenes of Event Horizon. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

If that doesn't make them sane, then my name is not Sigmund Freud! Oops. [No nitpicking!]

Well if they're not sane after that, it most likely means that they haven't spent enough time in the box. And back in the box they go, and since it mens the first duration was too short, they have to go for 60 additional years! Mainly to undo the damage done by seeing the light of day.

Repeat the process until the patient can be declared sane! It's very simple really! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Opal27
2001-Nov-29, 11:38 AM
I, too, have received the entirety of the Blindsided *book*(and I use the term loosely) by Mark Hazlewood via email. It first appeared, of all places, at a natural mothering forum I frequent. Though I am busy with small children and have little computer time, I am in the process of trying to have this debunked. Since he seems to ride on the coat tails of Zecharia Sitchin a bit, I started there and have found some debunking sites on him. Please if ANY of you want a copy of the Blindsided *e-book* to critique please email me. My email is mamma22boys@citlink.net (please note it is citlink *not* citilink) I am very interested in further opinions and others "debunking" activities. Surely one of you amatuer/or more advanced astronomers would have seen a massive planet approaching Earth in your telescope if it were true:^) Not all of you are being controlled by the government, right? :^) Thank you.
~Kasandra~

sts60
2001-Nov-29, 03:59 PM
>I, too, have received the entirety of the Blindsided *book*(and I use the term loosely)
>by Mark Hazlewood via email...
>Since he seems to ride on the coat tails of Zecharia Sitchin a bit, I started there and
>have found some debunking sites on him. Please if ANY of you want a copy of the
>Blindsided *e-book* to critique please email me. My email is mamma22boys@citlink.net...
>
22 boys? You *are* busy! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

>I am very interested in further opinions and others "debunking" activities. Surely one of
>you amatuer/or more advanced astronomers would have seen a massive planet approaching
>Earth in your telescope if it were true:^)

While it's true that amateurs patrol the skies constantly, it's not a given that something due to "pass by" in 2003 would have been visually spotted. But such an object, and such a "dead companion star", would have been detected long ago by their gravitational influence on the planets and in the latter case, the Sun as well.

Other random points - planets affect each other by the gravitational influence of their mass. The density doesn't matter unless it's coming *really* close. Ditto for the magnetism.

The planet X spammer and Sitchin are both, in short, crackpots. That's not an ad hominem attack. It's just an accurate categorization. You will *never* be able to budge them from their delusions. Facts just bounce off. The best you can hope to do is educate people who don't know anything about the subject, showing them what nonsense this all is.

>Not all of you are being controlled by the government, right? :^)

Not... being... controlled... right... <bzzzt>

Opal27
2001-Nov-29, 04:16 PM
sts:
Thank you for your prompt reply. I guess maybe they are just too "crackpottish" to even warrant mass debunking...LOL(that is my husbands view anyway). I am starting to think it's just a big money making scam(to sell his "book"...it is for sale on his website I see). Hmmmm, just a thought:^)

~Kasandra~
PS It is supposed to be "to two boys"(22boys) but I didn't think it through clearly enough when I signed up for my email name...LOL. I am currently consolidating all my handles to one:^)

ktesibios
2001-Dec-03, 12:59 AM
You know, a somewhat more developed verion of this has been appearing on nearly all of the Independent Media Center Web sites over the last couple of days, courtesy of a William Miller wannabee who's been posting a rather eclectic mix of conspiracist foolery to promote his religious-loon Web site.

In 2003, the Earth is supposed to "stand still" for three days and then flip its axis of rotation 90 degrees.

Unfortunately, there is as yet no word on whether Planet X will replenish our supplies of illudium fosdex by itself, or whether we'll have to send Duck Dodgers out yet again.

Opal27
2001-Dec-03, 03:55 PM
So far this is the most comprehensive site I have found that debunks the whole Nibiru/Marduk(a different name for Nibiru) theory quite well.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/8148/hafernik.html

~Kasandra~

The Bad Astronomer
2001-Dec-03, 04:08 PM
On 2001-11-29 10:59, sts60 wrote:
While it's true that amateurs patrol the skies constantly, it's not a given that something due to "pass by" in 2003 would have been visually spotted

I disagree. That's only two years from now! Unless this thing is the blackest object ever detected, it would be quite bright in the sky, because it's supposed to be Earth-sized or larger. Even being generous with orbital speeds, it would be at Saturn's distance right now (at most), and visible to the naked eye or possibly binoculars. It would have been spotted. Remember, this thing has to be in the plane of the ecliptic, since it passes by planets, so I think it would have been spotted by any number of surveys, both amateur and professional.

sts60
2001-Dec-03, 04:51 PM
BA, I stand corrected. I didn't think about that one enough. I would say it's possible if it's moving *very* fast and it's *very* dark... but it's supposed to be on a closed orbit, and presumably not made of coal dust!

You're right, such an object almost certainly would have been spotted visually by now. Which fact also makes no impression on the TBs.

Does anyone save these predictions and ask the TBs afterwards about them? (Not that they are bothered by being proven wrong.)

David Hall
2001-Dec-03, 05:05 PM
I think it's becoming increasingly difficult for objects to remain unspotted for long. A decade ago, I think it would have been much easier to overlook something like this, but now, with all these large-scale sky surveys(NEAT, LINEAR, SLOAN), only the smallest, darkest, and slowest moving objects can remain hidden for long.

However, I wouldn't say it was impossible yet. Random chance alone might allow an object to be in a place where nobody is looking until it's too obvious to miss. Or an object may be seen and imaged, but not recognized for what it is. Comet Hyakutake in 1996 was only found 2 months before it's closest approach.

Not that I'm saying Nibiru exists, you know, I'm just saying it's still possible (just very improbable).

Opal27
2001-Dec-03, 06:08 PM
In the first (or second) post of this original thread, the supposed coordinates of planet x were given at http://www.zetatalk.com/usenet/use90207.htm

Now, I have to admit, I am an illiterate when it comes to cooridinates and such. Just out of pure curiosity though, has anyone checked out the validity of these supposed coordinates? I don't buy the Planet X story but the fact that they put actual specifications on how to find it makes me even more curious. Thoughts on this? Thanks for all of the input by the way:^)

~Kasandra~

Opal27
2001-Dec-03, 06:17 PM
I just read through the coordinates page again and its just plain confusing to me...maybe I need another cup of coffee?? It sounds really choppy or something. Is there any easy way to explain this or am I just being idiotic?

~Kasandra~

Kaptain K
2001-Dec-03, 10:02 PM
I just checked their co-ordinates against my planetarium program. The co-ordinates they give put it between Orion and Taurus. They give a visual magnitude of 11. This would be in easy reach of any amateur 'scope of 6" or larger. If it was where they say and as bright as they say, somebody would have seen it by now.

By the way. Their orbital mechanics are totally bogus. There is no way that it will completely traverse the solar system (in, around the Sun, and out) in three months. Won't even go into their contention that the Sun has a dark companion at the other focus of the orbit. If so, it is the only orbit in the known universe with a mass at both foci.

Opal27
2001-Dec-03, 10:07 PM
Thanks a million, Kaptain K, for your speedy and easy to understand reply:^)

~Kasandra~

Taks
2001-Dec-03, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure if anybody had mentioned this, but the Hazlewood guy seems to think that the approach is coming in two years, not Sitchin. I think Sitchin still thinks the year 3760 or so... which would put an earth-sized (or larger) object out past the Ort Cloud presently, and quite possibly undetectable by our current technological means. Of course, I'm not validating Sitchin's position, just pointing out that he might be a 'lesser crackpot' in the realm of crackpots /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif He's basing his ideas solely on the re-interpretation of the ancient Sumerian texts, which unfortunately, are nothing but legend without one of the writers to back them up. Perhaps if Sitchin is correct, we'll know in another 1760 years
for sure /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mark

ToSeek
2001-Dec-04, 04:04 PM
On 2001-12-03 17:02, Kaptain K wrote:
I just checked their co-ordinates against my planetarium program. The co-ordinates they give put it between Orion and Taurus. They give a visual magnitude of 11. This would be in easy reach of any amateur 'scope of 6" or larger. If it was where they say and as bright as they say, somebody would have seen it by now.

By the way. Their orbital mechanics are totally bogus. There is no way that it will completely traverse the solar system (in, around the Sun, and out) in three months. Won't even go into their contention that the Sun has a dark companion at the other focus of the orbit. If so, it is the only orbit in the known universe with a mass at both foci.

There are regular discussions on "sci.astro" on Usenet on just these issues whenever Ms. Zetatalk posts. She has variously claimed that what the Zetas mean by magnitude isn't what we mean by magnitude and/or that the object can only be seen with the right sort of red filter. As for the movements, well, according to her gravity doesn't work the way we think it does - for one thing, there is a repulsive element to it that helps keep the Moon from falling on us (which otherwise it would do).

Zandermann
2001-Dec-04, 10:25 PM
There are regular discussions on "sci.astro" on Usenet on just these issues whenever Ms. Zetatalk posts. She has variously claimed that what the Zetas mean by magnitude isn't what we mean by magnitude and/or that the object can only be seen with the right sort of red filter. As for the movements, well, according to her gravity doesn't work the way we think it does - for one thing, there is a repulsive element to it that helps keep the Moon from falling on us (which otherwise it would do).Isn't watching a creative imagination at work fun?

Geesh! What nonsense

Iain Lambert
2001-Dec-05, 03:01 PM
Really? Thanks for the tip, I'll dismantle the stack of turtles that I was holding the moon up with later. I'm sure they will come in handy for something; soup perhaps.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ToSeek
2001-Dec-05, 03:28 PM
On 2001-12-04 17:25, Zandermann wrote:
Geesh! What nonsense

Ms. Zetatalk's high point might have been when several sci.astro members brought a telescope to a street near her house and offered to show her that there was absolutely nothing where she claimed Planet X was supposed to be. She declined this opportunity.

aurorae
2001-Dec-05, 03:40 PM
On 2001-12-05 10:28, ToSeek wrote:

On 2001-12-04 17:25, Zandermann wrote:
Geesh! What nonsense

Ms. Zetatalk's high point might have been when several sci.astro members brought a telescope to a street near her house and offered to show her that there was absolutely nothing where she claimed Planet X was supposed to be. She declined this opportunity.

I thought (unless this happened more than once) that they offered to show her comet Hale-Bopp, which she claimed did not exist and said was a conspiracy. IIRC, she refused to come out of her house. I think this was described in Sky and Telescope or Astronomy magazine (I forget which one, or maybe it was another one I subscribe to). It was also described in sci.astro.amateur, so a search in dejanews might turn it up.

aurorae
2001-Dec-06, 07:54 PM
Found it. I browsed some of the old messages from dejanews and re-read some of the hilarious stuff (although also frustrating stuff) that was discussed.

The night was described here:

http://www.laughton.com/paul/rfo/nancy/mark.html

and pictures are here:

http://www.laughton.com/paul/rfo/nancy/nancy.html

On 2001-12-05 10:40, aurorae wrote:

I thought (unless this happened more than once) that they offered to show her comet Hale-Bopp, which she claimed did not exist and said was a conspiracy. IIRC, she refused to come out of her house. I think this was described in Sky and Telescope or Astronomy magazine (I forget which one, or maybe it was another one I subscribe to). It was also described in sci.astro.amateur, so a search in dejanews might turn it up.

Opal27
2001-Dec-06, 11:23 PM
Oh my gosh...that was so funny! LOL. Thank you for taking the time to find that...it was worth it in my opinion:^) I would have LOVED to have been there!

~Kasandra~

dagger
2002-Mar-23, 08:09 PM
"The best you can hope to do is educate people who don't know anything about the subject, showing them what nonsense this all is. "

I took the above comment and highlighted. Basically I fall into a that very same group of people who needs to be educated about why it is all nonsense.

So if you can, show some more debunking sites, or whatever information you have. Thanks

2002-Mar-24, 12:36 PM
<a name="20020324.6:24"> page 20020324.6:24 aka What 2 coord`$
On 2001-12-03 13:08, Opal27 wrote: To: 2
In the first (or second) post of this original thread, the supposed coordinates of planet x were given at http://www.zetatalk.com/usenet/use90207.htm
1:7:37 am LEFT 386/20 : 486/100 RIGHT red
2:Mae 23 2002 parameter PANELS shift
3:Portland OR settings CONTROLS | Settings
4:45^31' AND bar bar
5:122^41' 2SET TIME Time
IF you mean Portland, Or they are given at
4&5 above.. if you mean Nibiru then spell it out caus i dont spell WELL