PDA

View Full Version : The Red Alert franchise returns

Tranquility
2004-Dec-09, 03:55 PM
EA LA is working on the next installment in the Red Alert universe:

http://www.planetcnc.com/

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/06/news_6114540.html

This is good news. I loved RA2 and Yuri's Revenge. Wonder how this story will go. And I hope Tanya and that other assistant both make an appearance :P

tuffel999
2004-Dec-09, 04:14 PM
There is nothing like tank rushing in the original Red Alert.

mickal555
2004-Dec-09, 04:23 PM
I loved RA2 too It was kool 8)

Moose
2004-Dec-09, 06:17 PM
There is nothing like tank rushing in the original Red Alert.

Oh my, yes. I love the original Red Alert.

I remember once taking out a coworker with a sweet three-pronged attack as the russians. A joint strike of subs and MIGs against his (many) destroyers, which allowed the subs I'd earlier smuggled into his harbor to sink his cruisers and take out his shipyard. This then allowed my armor division to roll in. My MIGs had barely had enough time to land before that battle was basically over. :)

Mmmm. MIGs.

I've never actually played Red Alert 2. I may have to pick it up sometime soon.

Tranquility
2004-Dec-09, 06:30 PM
Hehe and the engineer rushes. Mmmmmm

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-09, 08:16 PM
I saw that the other day!! I got very excited, having thoroughly enjoyed the original RA, then RA2 and Yuri's Revenge (I still have them on my computer), and lately Generals and Zero Hour. Great games. My only quibble with Generals was the lack of a real story line like RA2/YR had. I hope they bring that back. And Tanya... :D

George
2004-Dec-10, 01:06 AM
Good news. Thanks.

Hope we can put the navy to work this time.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-10, 01:18 AM
No one used to play me on the original red alert i was too good. I was only 8 :(

And Tanya... :D
Something to confess? :P :D

I never actually completed Yuri's revenge, it was fun to play though. I loved the desolator troops i would irradiate all the ore fields so much that no harvester could get in, easy win after that 8)

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-10, 01:32 AM
Speaking of the RA franchise, has anyone played Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth? I just saw a video review on gamespot and it looks really awesome. My friend has it, so I'm gonna check it out tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone here has played it yet.

Humphrey
2004-Dec-10, 05:43 AM
Speaking of the RA franchise, has anyone played Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth? I just saw a video review on gamespot and it looks really awesome. My friend has it, so I'm gonna check it out tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone here has played it yet.I am buying it tomorrow. ill let you know next week. :-)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Dec-10, 05:48 AM
Speaking of the RA franchise, has anyone played Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth? I just saw a video review on gamespot and it looks really awesome. My friend has it, so I'm gonna check it out tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone here has played it yet.I am buying it tomorrow. ill let you know next week. :-)

Yeah ...

If you CAN Manage, to turn it Off ...

:P

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-10, 05:53 AM

Awesome! :D

Tranquility
2004-Dec-10, 09:30 AM
Well, did anyone play either Armies of Exigo or Spellforce? Apparently editors on gamespot and gamespy are too busy playing World of Warcraft to review Armies of Exigo, but the average reader ratings is like 9.2. It's basically a recreation of the Warcraft universe by developers who also happen to be Starcraft fanatics.

Also I heard from gamers who aren't too into RTS that Spellforce was very good, but it didnt get many good reviews. And I'm hankering to get a fantasy RTS.

Tranquility
2004-Dec-11, 02:54 PM
More good news:

The new Age of Empires (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/34644).

I loved AOE 2, never got into Age of Mythology though. Hopefully this one will live up to the name of its predecessors. I would love to check this out even though I have a huuuuge bias towards fantasy RTS.

Humphrey
2004-Dec-11, 03:53 PM
Sorry. change of planns. due to me getting sick from a doctors visit (passed out from giving blood), i wasnt abel to ge to the mall. But i will on monday.

Tranquility: Ahhh...AOE. I love that series. played every version of it. It was very well done and prety much introduced me to really love the RTS franchize. Age of Mythology did have its updisides. I never did buy the expansion since it did not seem to have alot of meat to it (same with the rise of nations expansion) to cover the cost of buying it. Especially since im on a one game a month budget.

Tranquility
2004-Dec-11, 03:59 PM
Dunno, I played Age of Mythology for a little while in small LAN parties. Felt it was similar to Age of Empires, which I had just finished playing to death (I still do fire it up from time to time. The campaigns are great), so I never really got into it.

Re: the 1 game/month rule

lol :D . I guess I was just unlucky. I tried to implement this rule in November. I ended up with Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness (bundle with a sound card, so dont judge me), Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Missing: Since January, Codename Panzers, Warlords IV, Battlefield, and Medal of Honor Allied Assault, and pending purchases of Armies of Exigo, Battle for Middle Earth, Spellforce, and World of Warcraft.

Are you kidding :D

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-11, 05:15 PM
A friend of mine got Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth and I went and checked it out yesterday. I have to say, very impressive. It's beautifully represented and the combat is fantastic. My only gripe thus far is that when we were playing Helm's Deep, we had barely any forces to defend with. I don't remember the movie all that well, but I know they had a pretty good amount. And they evil side just kept sending wave after wave. Maybe we missed something, but it just seemed unfair. Other than that, the game is absolutely fantastic.

Humphrey
2004-Dec-11, 10:35 PM
Tranquility: i will judge you no matter what for even saying you have tat laura Croft game. :-p

Careless
2004-Dec-11, 10:49 PM
A friend of mine got Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth and I went and checked it out yesterday. I have to say, very impressive. It's beautifully represented and the combat is fantastic. My only gripe thus far is that when we were playing Helm's Deep, we had barely any forces to defend with. I don't remember the movie all that well, but I know they had a pretty good amount. And they evil side just kept sending wave after wave. Maybe we missed something, but it just seemed unfair. Other than that, the game is absolutely fantastic.
The entire point of retreating to Helm's Deep is that it would take the largest army seen in who knows how long to assault it. Which is what happens. So that sounds about right.

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-12, 12:25 AM
The entire point of retreating to Helm's Deep is that it would take the largest army seen in who knows how long to assault it. Which is what happens. So that sounds about right.

I don't remember the movie though, but what kind of forces did the good guys have?

Moose
2004-Dec-12, 01:42 AM
Battle of Helms Deep, based on what I'd observed in the movie (spoilers):

Aragorn estimated Saruman's Uruk'Hai numbers at ten thousand.

King Theodin stated that the Rohanim defenders numbered 300. I think he was counting the regulars. I don't know how many irregulars were conscripted, the movie didn't say. I don't think Theodin knew with any precision.

Rivendell sent what looked like five hundred longbow archers. Perhaps as many as a thousand. The movie doesn't state their numbers, and I honestly don't remember offhand what the book said.

Gandalf had supposedly returned with two thousand Rohinim cavalry. I'm pretty sure this number came from the book, although I might be remembering Gandalf mentionning Eomyr's numbers when he offered to summon them out.

I don't know how many trees were in Treebeard's forest, but it looked like a substantial number, perhaps between one to three thousand trunks.

The Uruk'Hai were wiped out to an orc.

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-12, 08:27 AM
We replayed the battle again today, and it went much better. I think the numbers were okay, it's just that the game puts a limit on how many units you can have at any point. It sure was fun though. :D