PDA

View Full Version : Left Vs Right?

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-09, 06:19 PM
I would start a pole on this but too hard to do.
Okay there's a lot of things you can be different sided on, i'll list all i can from the top of my head:
Handed: Left
Footed: Left
Eating: Right
Eye dominance: Right
Hearing

They are the ones i can think of off the top of my head. I eat right handed as i was forced and i would write right handed but i refused to work if they made me write right handed. I play guitar both handed, don't know how though :D I remember not saying a single word to my mum for a month as she tryed to force me to do things right handed (i still dislike her now), i have poor writing because i never got taught how to write.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1684/lefthand.html
I can't figure out if this guy is prejudice against lefties or is just moronic.

http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/Articles/dominance/index.htm
This is a good site shows you what you should be good at.

http://www.indiana.edu/~primate/lspeak.html
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8797/left.html
These are nice sites :)
http://www.indiana.edu/~primate/left.html
Now check out the famous lefties :D we have the coolest people 8)

I think this may come across as bias :roll:

Nicolas
2004-Dec-09, 07:04 PM
I think the guy in the first link just posts all theories he could find without making a real conclusion. Some of the theories of statements are quite "hm":

For years now, mankind has been searching for the answers to why people prefer one hand over the other, why the majority of people choose the right hand, and why the left hand is chosen in such a minority. Handedness is not fixed at birth. It usually just develops, and is malleable to outside conditions.

Freely translated, this means that you can force left-handed people to do things with their right hand...

Doing things with your left or right hand is to a certain extent malleable, BEING left-handed is just something you ARE. People could have learned me to do some things with my right hand, but I doubt whether I'd ever be as good at it as with my left hand. I don't know whether anyone is purely left handed, or that any lefty does some things with the same hands as the righties. I for one am almost completely left (I eat the standard way and play guitar the right way, but those are two hand actions), but I use my computer mouse right. I do feel that I would quite fast develop the ability to use it left though.

I think left handed people are more prone to hurt themselves on machinery because many machines are designed for right handed people. Where are the controls on a grinding machine? indeed on the right. Where does a left hand needs to travel then? Indeed, right in front of the grinded part... Just one example A milling machine has its controls at the left, but this is to force people to stand at the left end of the machine, away from sharp turning metal. No need for lefties to go to the left end... We live in an alien world. 8-[

Careless
2004-Dec-09, 08:18 PM
I wish I had a dominant eye. my eyes can't agree where to focus unless they have a common object to see. makes those vision tests in the machine a guessing game

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-09, 08:26 PM
I have to say this is my favorite part:

Recently, breakthroughs were made by way of medicine. A dosage of sodium amytal temporarily anesthetizes one hemisphere of the brain at a time, which allows surgeons to find out which hemisphere controls language. It is reported that over 95% of right-handers had speech localized in the left hemisphere, which is the findings of most other studies. However, it was found that 70% of the left-handers had speech located in the left hemisphere, too, instead of the right hemisphere as was expected. It should be noted that this could possibly be the result of Thomas Naglaki's theory.

This is 100% bovine excrement. It shows that some people have different brains where the linguistic centre is on the wrong side of the brain. No correlation and the tests are extreamly bias in the first place. 1 left handed person to 9 right handed person... sounds a fair test to me 8-[

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-09, 08:31 PM
I wish I had a dominant eye. my eyes can't agree where to focus unless they have a common object to see. makes those vision tests in the machine a guessing game

Look at something on a wall and put your finger infront of it, you should see two fingers. Close one and if your finger "jumps" a big distance you've just closed your dominant eye. If it stays still then you have the dominant one open.

If they are both the same you are weird :lol:

2004-Dec-09, 09:02 PM
Look at something on a wall and put your finger infront of it, you should see two fingers.
If I should see two fingers, how do I put my (one) finger in front of the object on the wall?

Nicolas
2004-Dec-09, 09:05 PM
All I see, is that one of the fingers dissapears with an eye closed, "crosslinked" wise.

If you see 2 fingers with one eye closed, you

a)have got a serious eye problem
b)are drunk
c)can't count
d)have a serious hand control problem
e)are looking at a finger on the wall during the experiment
f) have 3 eyes

:D

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-09, 09:14 PM
I don't know what else to say 01101001, i think Nicholas covered all the funny surgestions :lol:

Severian
2004-Dec-09, 09:18 PM
heh, those are pretty good.

Seriously, though, when I look at an object on the wall and put my finger in front of it (with *both* eyes open), I see two fingers if I focus on the object on the wall, and two objects if I focus on my finger.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-09, 09:25 PM

Seriously, though, when I look at an object on the wall and put my finger in front of it (with *both* eyes open), I see two fingers if I focus on the object on the wall, and two objects if I focus on my finger.

Focus on the wall and close one of your eyes. your finger should jump to one side while with the other it should feel like everything stays still but the other one just goes away.

Candy
2004-Dec-09, 09:58 PM
Okay there's a lot of things you can be different sided on, i'll list all i can from the top of my head:
Hearing

Do you have an identical twin? 8-[

Nicolas
2004-Dec-09, 10:15 PM
I do encounter the dissapearing of fingers, but no real difference in jumping (left or right). As my left eye is slightly better, that one has some less jump. But it isn't very obvious.

Ut
2004-Dec-09, 10:17 PM

Focus on the wall and close one of your eyes. your finger should jump to one side while with the other it should feel like everything stays still but the other one just goes away.

Umm... I'm sorry. What?

Nicolas
2004-Dec-09, 10:27 PM
If it makes it more clear: look at a wall so you see only a wall (no close objects). Focus on the wall, and put your hand before you with one finger up. Now you see your hand with 2 fingers up (hazy because you don't focus on them). Close one eye. With one eye, a finger dissapears and your hand seems to move a little. With the other eye closed, your hand remains in its place, only the other finger disappears. If no hand movement happens, you closed your dominant eye.

In my case, my dominant eye is my best one (left). I'm a lefty too.

Careless
2004-Dec-09, 11:24 PM
If it makes it more clear: look at a wall so you see only a wall (no close objects). Focus on the wall, and put your hand before you with one finger up. Now you see your hand with 2 fingers up (hazy because you don't focus on them). Close one eye. With one eye, a finger dissapears and your hand seems to move a little. With the other eye closed, your hand remains in its place, only the other finger disappears. If no hand movement happens, you closed your dominant eye.

And in my case, there's no difference between the two.

Nicolas
2004-Dec-09, 11:42 PM
You mean each one shifts equally, or you see 1 finger even with two eyes? that means you're focusing on the finger (focus on the distant wall instead). If it shifts equally, you have no dominant eye.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-10, 12:07 AM
Hearing

Do you have an identical twin? 8-[

As far as i know i don't, but as long as i keep claiming i was adopted then there is a chance.
Oh and my hearing was left but is now right as i have tinnitus in my left ear, my own fault really. Also my eating is only right handed because thats how i'm always given a knife and fork, home, restaurants

Why do you ask? :roll:

Maksutov
2004-Dec-10, 12:12 AM
[edit]Why do you ask? :roll:
You actually find it necessary to ask Candy such a question?

BTW, how did you get tinnitus in just one ear? Physical damage?

Mars
2004-Dec-10, 12:18 AM
I write Right Handed, yet can write with my left. I'm left eye dominant and I seem to use my left ear most when on the phone.

paulie jay
2004-Dec-10, 01:24 AM
My father was a leftie, but the school he went to forced him to become right handed! I'm a rightie - though I have good coordination with both hands.

Candy
2004-Dec-10, 12:57 PM

I thought identical twins were basically mirrors of each other. One is usually right handed, and the other is left handed.

My bosses wife is expecting twins. 'Daniel' said the doctor told him early in the pregnancy that there was a high chance that one twin would not make it to term. Due to the size of the womb, one usually suffocates, etc... Apparently, this is common for twins. I did not know this. :o
I didn't do any research, so I have no statistics.

I wonder if left handed people aren't 'half' of an identical twin that survived. :-k
Just a thought, guys.

Laguna
2004-Dec-10, 01:15 PM

Same to me.
When I focus the wall I see my hand and finger double.
When I close my left eye, the right hand and finger dissapears, the other does not move. And vice versa.

@Nicolas: I can see the effect you describe, when looking at the wall at the direction of my "left" finger. Then this one gets a litte clearer. When I close my right eye now, the finger seems to jump. But you can change your "dominant" eye very easily. Just focus the wall in the backgound of your "other" finger. Then closing the other eye will make it jump.

SeanF
2004-Dec-10, 02:59 PM
If no hand movement happens, you closed your dominant eye.
Uh, if no hand movement happens, you still have your dominant eye open, don't you?

Same to me.
When I close my left eye, the right hand and finger dissapears, the other does not move. And vice versa.

@Nicolas: I can see the effect you describe, when looking at the wall at the direction of my "left" finger. Then this one gets a litte clearer. When I close my right eye now, the finger seems to jump. But you can change your "dominant" eye very easily. Just focus the wall in the backgound of your "other" finger. Then closing the other eye will make it jump.
Laguna, do it a different way.

Pick a specific point on the wall to focus on, like a discolored spot or maybe the doorknob on a door.

Now do this, but keep both eyes open the entire time, and do it without really thinking about, just go naturally:

Make a circle with your forefinger and thumb. Raise and extend your arm so that the focus spot is visible through the circle (don't think about it! Just do it!). Now bring your hand back towards your face until it's directly in front of one of your eyes, keeping the focus spot visible through the circle at all times (again, just go naturally!). Which eye did the circle end up over? That's your dominant eye.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-10, 03:43 PM

Same to me.

You are not changing the dominance you are changing how you are looking. I can change which foot i kick a ball with but it doesn't change my instinct to kick with the left, nor does learning to write right handed change my instinct to write left handed.

Okay touch your nose. You should do it with your dominant hand, but if i think about it then it defeats the objective. It's like when you try to time yourself breathing you breath differently you have to let your instincts do it for it to work.

I got it from using the phone too much, don't worry it won't give you it but it slows the hairs in you ear from recovering as fast from loud noises. But two concerts in two days been at the front gave me it, the first one i had usual ringing in both ears but the second i was facing to the stage on my right. Left ear facing a speaker wall and if it wasn't a 2 hour motorhead set my ear would probably be fine, not that i'm complaining once in a life time experiance and i've got a constant reminder :)

So i'm now right ear dominant as my hearing is worse in my left ear. Still doesn't stop me answering the phone and putting it to the left, i must sound ignorant saying "what? pardon? i can't understand you" every few seconds :lol:

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-10, 04:06 PM

I thought identical twins were basically mirrors of each other. One is usually right handed, and the other is left handed.

My bosses wife is expecting twins. 'Daniel' said the doctor told him early in the pregnancy that there was a high chance that one twin would not make it to term. Due to the size of the womb, one usually suffocates, etc... Apparently, this is common for twins. I did not know this. :o
I didn't do any research, so I have no statistics.

I wonder if left handed people aren't 'half' of an identical twin that survived. :-k
Just a thought, guys.
I thought next to all twins and triplets etc never made it to term and were premature. My friends mothers got delivered by caesarean 3 weeks early, Iím unsure if this was to save both babiesí lives or some other reason.

All the identical twins i know 8 (or 4 #-o ) are all right handed. except for 2 (or 1) who were raised mainly by separate parents, which resulted in the younger (by 7 mins) learning left hand.

You could be thinking of conjoined twins, one is supposed to be the opposite of the other. But this is wrong because IIRC they are either (a) non identical twins that the fetuses joined during early stages, or (b) a late onset of the way identical twins form but never fully seperating, which could explain why one is typically smaller. I'm not 100% on that though.

For you to be right it would require one twin to die out in the early stages of fetal development or there would have been a lot of records. Any abnormality in a birth is recorded and the death of a late stage baby would be reported so there would be a high amount of lefties with abnormal births. But saying this it wouldn't explain why language centres are on the same side (in generall) on lefties and righties.

Interesting idea though :) Maybe i did have a twin, maybe i killed him :o

Nicolas
2004-Dec-10, 05:55 PM
I did have a twin (well a collection of cells that might have formed one) but apparently I kiled him (or nature did it, whatever). Anyway, I'm a leftie and part of an underdeveloped twin. (That counts for the other part of the twin only, thank you :) )

2004-Dec-10, 06:59 PM
Not according to Language lateralization in monozygotic twin pairs concordant and discordant for handedness (http://brain.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/full/125/12/2710):

In non-conjoined monozygotic twins, situs inversus is rare but is probably more frequent than in singletons...
It does discuss different-handedness ("discordance"), and apparently it is not uncommon, but I don't see a pithy quote about the measured frequency. Need coffee. Too many medical terms. Must have coffee...

ßrv
2004-Dec-12, 03:38 AM
Eating: left
Batting: left
Writing: right, but I can use my left (just not as neat)
Slapping or any other injury prone action: right :lol:

Fram
2004-Dec-13, 09:50 AM
Im righthanded, although I steer my bike with my left hand (if I use only one hand). But this might be because the dominant action is the equilibrium (the free hand) and not the steering (the hand on the steering thing)?

I have no idea what my dominant eye is, and I have the peculiar problem that I can only wink with one eye (harharhar); I can close my right and let my left eye open, but not vice versa (without external help that is). My wife thinks that is funny :-? , but I cannot do this :wink: ...

Makgraf
2004-Dec-13, 07:52 PM
Handed: Right
Footed: Right
Winged: Right

I heard somewhere that left-handed could've been passed on because leftys have an advantage in fighting against rightys (because righty are used to fighting other rightys). There's a passage in the bible (Judges 20:16) which refers to a group of soldiers "Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men lefthanded" presumably, for this reason.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-14, 11:05 PM
There's a passage in the bible (Judges 20:16) which refers to a group of soldiers "Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men lefthanded" presumably, for this reason.

I always took that to be tactic. You've been trained for years to go up against another right handed army, front lines clash as they went to strike the left handed front line got their swords into the gut of the enemy.

It makes some very good sense, the lefties would be the best trained army on the field. Righties will have never been properly trained (if at all) against a leftie, so when on the field the leftie has the advantage so he's more likely to survive. The leftie wins and the righties are either dead so no fighting skills passed on and any rightie that survived routed so in most old armies would have been killed or kicked out the army.

Or maybe us lefties are just superior :wink: :lol:

Makgraf
2004-Dec-17, 02:03 AM
There was an interesting article in The Economist about this, suggusting that this fighting advantage is why there are lefties (who are otherwise smaller than right-handers). Therefore, if true, violenter traditional societies (i.e. cultures where fighting is still done hand-to-hand) would have higher %'s of lefties. Charlotte Faurie and Michel Raymond of the University of Montpellier II tested this and found that there is a correlation between the number of lefties and the homicide rate in these traditional socities.

So the violent Yanomamo of South America who have a murder rate of 4/1000 (about 60 times as much as New York's) are 22.6% lefties. But the pacific Dioula-speakers of Burkina Faso who have a murder rate of 0.013/1000 are only 3.4% lefties.

Moose
2004-Dec-17, 02:08 AM
Yeah, but remember that a correlation isn't the same thing as causality. It could be that lefties are victimized more often, and that the homicide rate is highest in countries with higher concentrations of lefties.

Although I do admit that if this were the case, I would expect evolution to select against the leftie trait.

Nicolas
2004-Dec-17, 12:04 PM
Yep, but we're too stubborn! :)