PDA

View Full Version : How do I forum?

Mareykan
2014-Jan-18, 04:47 AM
I am completely serious here; it may seem weird, however I am not quite sure how to use forums... wait no... Rather!, yes rather, I am really good at joining communities.

Often times I either stay secluded (as in I seldom post, but when I do decide to post, the post itself is platitudinous and not particular memorable), or I tend to spam quite a large amount (However, this is a failed attempt to assimilate with the community, as I end up just creating ~10 threads a day and completely ignoring threads made by others, and even myself).
NOTE: italics in parenthethis is just an added note to remove confusing, and provide my impute, kinda like an author's note, or an aside. They should not be read as part of this thread as a whole.

The one time I achieved semi-success with my assimilation by using puppet accounts (By holding several prominent accounts in the forum, I was able to recreate drama and other 'normal' activities that occur on a forum)... AND YET, this was still very much a failure, as I only achieved the appearance of someone who is whole-hearty a part of the community. My everyday actions in the community was just interactions between my own accounts (Usually I'd do some slap-stick comedy, which the community as a whole enjoyed long after I revealed that I was the owner of all the accounts). In a nutshell, I was able emulate 'natural' forumer actions and join the community as a whole IF AND ONLY IF I was in complete control if all variable, if confronted by another forumer, I would give a short answer, or completely ignore it (The Moderators actual believed I was suffering from D. I. D. because of how 'natural' I wielded my puppet accounts, interestingly enough)

Onto my current situation... the real reason I left my old forum and went on my adventure through the unknown was not to find a new forum, rather, to learn 'how to forum' (I cannot be IP banned, sure they may try ;and believe me they have; but I can change IP at will, MY ARMOR IS LIKE TENFOLD SHIELDS! MY TEETH ARE SWO-- nevermind, anyways, they just gave up after like 2 times and 'allowed' me to 'continue my existence on their forum')

Now, I think my problem may stem from the fact that I am bit of a Sociopath and I tend to be intimidated when confronted with large threads with thousands of pages but enough about myself...

I need yer help to be able to learn how to forum... (whatever that means), this may seem like quite a substance task I am asking, however any help would be much obliged.

Gillianren
2014-Jan-18, 06:05 PM
Step one--sock puppetry is never appropriate.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Jan-18, 08:37 PM
Having multiple accounts is itself a bannable1 offense here, don't even consider trying.
As for trying to imply that you could win any confrontation with the moderators, that's not a good way to start on a forum. The adage about butt kicking competitions and porcupines apply, the moderator team of this forum has a long history of winning that type of confrontations and they're backed up by a community of quite intelligent members who like the place and don't want it to be ruined so behavior like that you describe will be noticed very fast.

That said, the way to be successful is to actually realize that you're not the only human being present2 and that almost everyone has something to teach you if you'd bother listening.

1) That's permanent ban, not warning, not temporary suspension, one kick and you're out.
2) Just ignore the Lizard, the two Gray's and the dog, they don't count.

Cougar
2014-Jan-18, 08:46 PM
I need yer help to be able to learn how to forum... (whatever that means)...

In this set of forums, it means being curious about the universe in which you find yourself.

slang
2014-Jan-18, 10:20 PM
2) Just ignore the Lizard, the two Gray's and the dog, they don't count.

I actually caught the dog counting to 0.9999999.

Noclevername
2014-Jan-18, 11:02 PM
I need yer help to be able to learn how to forum... (whatever that means), this may seem like quite a substance task I am asking, however any help would be much obliged.

First and foremost, learn the forum rules (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?32864-**-Rules-For-Posting-To-This-Board-**). Study them, memorize them, take them to heart. This forum is pretty good about enforcing those rules, so get to know them well.

If you have any doubts or questions about whether something you want to do or say is against the rules, don't ask it in a thread, but rather send a Private Message (look on your profile page) to a moderator, or use the Report Post button (a little ! inside a triangle, lower left corner of every post).

Mareykan
2014-Jan-19, 04:05 AM
W-w-w-w-wait, I don't mean on this site... I could never become part of this site, it's not you, it's me. This site's far to nice for me, plus studying the star's ain't really my cup of tea. After I 'learn to forum' I wish to return to my original forum AND EXACT MY REV- erm I mean help that site prosper, I'm not holding a grudge or anything, I swear!

Gillianren
2014-Jan-19, 04:43 PM
Well, it sounds like you can't. It sounds like they've told you that in no uncertain terms. If they've tried IP banning you, you aren't wanted there.

Mareykan
2014-Jan-19, 06:18 PM
ONLY A SITH DEALS IN ABSOLUTES! Erm, I mean, the mods there don't care (As they are payed to be moderators, they just do 'their job', that is all) MEANING! theoretically, I could just go back there and make a new account AND so long as I don't say that I've been ban'd (FOR A DUMB REASON!) before, they won't do anything (I've done it before).

BUT uhmmmm that aside! SOOOOOOO how do I forum? (I KEEP ASKING THIS, YET I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT MEANS!)

Swift
2014-Jan-19, 07:14 PM
Now, I think my problem may stem from the fact that I am bit of a Sociopath and I tend to be intimidated when confronted with large threads with thousands of pages but enough about myself...

Mareykan, knowing almost nothing about you, and not even knowing what forum you are talking about, I doubt we are going to give you a satisfactory answer. Every forum has its own "personality"; for example, some are very mellow, others are very confrontational.

One technique for dealing with a new forum is to just read it for a while, to start off slow and learn the culture before actively participating. But since you already seem to be familiar with the forum you are interested in, I doubt that would work. Plus, that somehow doesn't seem to match your personality.

If you are intimidated by large threads with thousands of pages, maybe you need to find a different forum. If you are a Sociopath, then no Internet forum is going to help you (including CQ).

PetersCreek
2014-Jan-19, 07:45 PM
'How to Forum' in 5 Easy Steps

1. Respect the forum rules and the forum owners' right to run it as they see fit. It's their 'house.' They pay the bills. They make the rules. Don't like it? Find another forum that suits you. You aren't just going to show up and change they way they do things right off the bat.

2. Read more. Post less. If you make no effort to get to know the community's rules, customs, and etiquette, you very likely won't be a successful member. Introduce yourself (in the appropriate thread) then take it easy for a while. Watch how things work...and don't work. Learn from the success and failures of other members. Your posts will be better informed.

3. Read your own posts...before you hit the SUBMIT button. Don't post angry...or drunk...or in any other state of mind or emotion that may lead to trouble. Make sure your post is understandable. Spelling and grammar aren't as important as content but they go a long way toward making it readable. No one is perfect, of course but make an effort. If it looks like you don't care about writing clearly, chances are not too many folks will care about reading what you write.

4. Participate. Don't be a troll, a seagull, a jerk, or an attention hound. You're not the center of the Universe (or the forum) and even though you might be a swell person, most folks aren't going to think you're the greatest thing since single serving pudding cups...at least not right away. It's a two-way street and if you're hogging both lanes, things won't end well. Have fun but not at the expense of other members' fun.

5. Stop digging. If you didn't heed the four previous steps and find yourself in trouble with a moderator or admin, don't try to bicker, bluster, lie, finger point, or tap dance your way out of it. Own up to your mistakes. Even if you don't think you made a mistake and the misunderstanding is completely on the other side, take a minute to think about where an argument is likely to lead...especially a public argument. If you want to appeal a mod decision, make it private and be reasonable. Be prepared to accept the decision.

pzkpfw
2014-Jan-19, 08:20 PM
W-w-w-w-wait, I don't mean on this site... I could never become part of this site, it's not you, it's me. This site's far to nice for me, plus studying the star's ain't really my cup of tea. After I 'learn to forum' I wish to return to my original forum AND EXACT MY REV- erm I mean help that site prosper, I'm not holding a grudge or anything, I swear!

I would ask, what do you think a forum is for?

And, what do you want from a forum?

ToSeek
2014-Jan-19, 08:23 PM
Erm, I mean, the mods there don't care (As they are payed to be moderators, they just do 'their job', that is all)

Just for the record, no one on the moderation team is paid to be a moderator (or administrator).

Mareykan
2014-Jan-19, 09:56 PM
I would ask, what do you think a forum is for?
Time-wasting, occasionally to answer some lingering question in the back of one's mind... but most importantly to Boast about one's achievements.

And, what do you want from a forum?
Not sure.. I'd say it depends on what day it is of course :p On a tuesday, I'd want to cause playful chaos, on a wednesday I'd want to start a fire and on a thursday I'd be serious and secluded, only posting dull, banal, topics.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Jan-19, 11:31 PM
Time-wasting, occasionally to answer some lingering question in the back of one's mind... but most importantly to Boast about one's achievements.

Not sure.. I'd say it depends on what day it is of course :p On a tuesday, I'd want to cause playful chaos, on a wednesday I'd want to start a fire and on a thursday I'd be serious and secluded, only posting dull, banal, topics.
This is definitely the wrong forum for you.

Mareykan
2014-Jan-19, 11:57 PM
This is definitely the wrong forum for you.
Ain't that the truth brotha... This forum is too nice for me. I am a great villain... er wait no, if I am being completely honest... Best case scenario I am a nuisance, worst case scenario I'm a "yapping lapdog sitting in the corner, barking incessantly and desperate for attention"

BUT then again, no forum is right for me I'd say...

On that ''How to Forum' in 5 Easy Steps', I don't follow 1 (I seldom respect anyone but myself, nor do I ever read rules), 2 (I hate everyone), 3 (Those are funnest tho :for me atleast:), 4 (Well, it is what it is), 5 (I'm too full to swallow my pride... it's one of my many fatal flaws)

However I could act all proper-y, but I find that to be such a dragggggg (there is not glory in that ya know?)

Hlafordlaes
2014-Jan-20, 12:33 AM
My guess, Mareykan, is that maybe you would like to ask how to feel part of a forum. From what you have said so far, it appears your interests are focused only in your own direction; your moods and needs of the moment. To connect your world with others, on or off a forum, you will need to see and recognize that same need of others to discuss things they want to talk about, too. It is discouraging when no one wants to talk about the same things you do, but the way to learn how to forum is to first try to serve the needs of others by talking about the same things they want to, with sincere interest. When they get to see you are friendly, they will talk to you about the things you want to talk about. Fooling them, or using sock puppets, will make them distrust you and not want to respond to you. Above all, be patient and as respectful of others as you want them to be of you.

Swift
2014-Jan-20, 01:24 AM

I think this might be the perfect forum for you (http://www.godlikeproductions.com/).

Gillianren
2014-Jan-20, 03:29 AM
BUT then again, no forum is right for me I'd say...

Then why do you want to join one? If, as you say, you hate everyone, wouldn't keeping to yourself be more enjoyable for you?

Mareykan
2014-Jan-20, 05:09 AM
Well... like.. okay.. if you can make sense of what I am about to type, that would be great... but this is mostly for me.. if I uhm.. when I type out this.. this splurge of information. unorganized it helps me when I go back and reread what I sai- erm typed the next day and look at it with an outside perspective.

Yeah, I should start now... I guess like, I'm scared... well, I mean everything typed above, the personality and stuff you could gather from the way I was typing ya know... that's not me. Well, it is me typing it, but I make these umm almost characters, with full backstories, where they're from, what type of people they were, what type of people their parents were, how their parents met, how their Grandparents died, how they were raised, their wealth, culture, their own typing styles, the works ya know. So I get these personalities and I will uhm type as though I am that person, type as they do.. are you following me? Like above, this character I made he.. or she, often times I change the genders, I am very indecisive, is very pompous and arrogant, (s)he thinks him(her)self to be er... I mean, has delusions of it's own grandeur... I don't know what to say, I was thinking about what to type here while brushing my teeth, thought of something good I did... forgot it now so yeah... (I thoroughly think out my posts in advance, and what there results are. On small forums, I think about who would respond and how... like 90% of the time, the other 10% are heat-of-the-moment posts that usually end up being the death of the account IE posting nude pics)

I think I use these personalities because... well to be- crap (started to type out a common phrase of one of my personalities I made a couple months back... By changing the way I type and forcing in fake accidents, and forced phrases like 'Bloodied hell' 'platitudinous' 'Tho' 'Mate' 'Reckon' 'Aye' 'To be frank' 'Don't much like' etc. I am able to slip into the personalities easier)..

But I digress... (crap I did it again), So I feel like these personalities are interesting, some more than others, while I myself am boring... and I guess really just don't want to be forgotten... truth be told I even want to be important... but being helpful never works (Yes it is the right thing to do, and I do erm.. do it, quite frequently, without a conscious goal inmind... I am quite a pleasant person in person...) so I usually split up into two personalities(IE two accounts), polar opposites... on one I do vulgar behaviors (tho I ne'er do anything that bad really), and one that helps people... and this will go on for a couple months (I've been doing this across well 4 years now, among 5-6 sites) generally on the bigger sites this goes on until the vulgar account does something permanent ban/account deletion worthy while one smaller sites it goes on until I get bored and revel that we are the same person (or if someone finds out.. which I try to make as easy as possible. I want to be found out, I tend to leave giant clues in plain sight) then the two personalities start mixing and a third one comes out, yada-yada-yada, I do some vulgar stuff eventually and get dealt with. Now this will go on for a while, usually I'll alternate between two or three sites after the account deletions and permanent bans (occasionally IP bans). Why am I typing this... yeah... feels good to get it out of my back I guess... seriously tho... I tend to do this when I know I am going to leave a forum for the final time... I make all these random [language] threads about myself 'cause why not....

I remember a few forums back I got into a stand off between me and the site creator (well a personality of mine)... Long story short I ended up making 1 thread per account were he would see it with random facts on it. He would delete the account the next day (It's important to know that accounts on that site could only make a thread 4 days after it's creation... but I'm cagey, I figured out how to make threads anytime I wanted... with out waiting several days to make 'em)... [trust me this story would be a couple microsoft word pages long if I did cut out so much crap in it] So I'm going at it, after like the 3 account, I'm stumped... out of crap to say, But I keep making the threads. I ended up talking about random stuff like how the weather was, or quotes from movies, etc. Just to spite that man, who did really nothing wrong to me (Well he did delete a crap load of my accounts when I did not break a single rule and the site allowed for multiple account deletions... but I digress) wait why was I typing this again?

I know what you're thinking, but don't do it... don't go psychoanalyzing me... don't look at me like that... uh I'm so lonely I guess is what I'm saying... but hell I'd chose this life a thousand times over hanging out with the people I know... erm I had a point somewhere here... I know it... what ever tho, it's pretty late... I'm exhausted, I'm going to wake up now... 'catch y'all on the flip side. (If you can't tell I started 'free balling' it mid-way through the second 'paragraph')

slang
2014-Jan-20, 07:45 AM
Watch your language please.

Glom
2014-Jan-20, 08:19 AM
Generally the way to assimilate into the community is to contribute. Probably coming here and bragging about all the forum rules you're previous actions have broken and how you've been banned so many times from various places isn't the way to do it.

Strange
2014-Jan-20, 09:09 AM
Ain't that the truth brotha... This forum is too nice for me. I am a great villain... er wait no, if I am being completely honest... Best case scenario I am a nuisance, worst case scenario I'm a "yapping lapdog sitting in the corner, barking incessantly and desperate for attention"

but most importantly to Boast about one's achievements.

That might be your problem right there. Sounds like you are not really looking for a forum, rather you are looking for a way of satisfying your need for attention. Presumably you enjoy getting banned as it is the ultimate attention. I doubt there are many forums that welcome people boasting and generally being annoying. The whole concept is built around the idea of dialogue. Why not try Twitter or blogging instead.

Noclevername
2014-Jan-20, 09:28 AM

Well, there's your problem. A forum is for two-way conversations. Your needs only seem to require you, and perhaps a passive audience. So yeah, blogging might be the way to go.

Hlafordlaes
2014-Jan-20, 03:59 PM
I know what you're thinking, but don't do it... don't go psychoanalyzing me... don't look at me like that... uh I'm so lonely I guess is what I'm saying... but hell I'd chose this life a thousand times over hanging out with the people I know... erm I had a point somewhere here... I know it... what ever tho, it's pretty late... I'm exhausted, I'm going to wake up now... 'catch y'all on the flip side. (If you can't tell I started 'free balling' it mid-way through the second 'paragraph')

I thought you might be lonely and reaching out, as you say here. Inventing personalities is a sign you want to connect, but for some reason are not comfortable being yourself. That's OK, it does not mean you cannot achieve what you want with some effort. Although we would like to help you, I think you need to speak to a trusted person about your life and feelings. Drug abuse will not help you and will make you pay big time down the road. I do not know your age, but if at school, perhaps there is a counselor you can approach. We do not wish to psychoanalyze you; that cannot be done on a forum. If the people in your circles are not available or receptive, there may be a community service in your area where you can talk about your thoughts. You most definitely need to sit down and let yourself work out what is going on. Be patient with yourself and give your listener time to get to understand you; things that are obvious to you might take time for others to understand.

And please do not follow the alternative forum links provided so far; they are not a solution at all to what is bothering you, and can only make matters worse.

Mareykan
2014-Jan-21, 03:05 AM
I appreciate all the help guys, I believe I am getting the grasp of what it truly means to be a human... It's been fun, truly, I shan't be a bother to forums anymore. Maybe someday I shall return to this forum when I am able to appreciate it better, but now I must go return to my home thread and apologize for my wrong doings.

Adieu, adieu, adieu, I shall remember the help and kindness I have received here for some time ;p