PDA

View Full Version : Filming sitcoms

Glom
2004-Dec-10, 09:26 PM
How does it work? Do they shoot in sequence? Doesn't that confuse the audience? Do they have loads of stands for each set?

Normandy6644
2004-Dec-10, 09:28 PM
I was actually just thinking that the other day. If they shoot in sequence, then they must have a bunch of different sets that they use and can move around. Otherwise, I don't see how a studio audience would have any idea what's going on.

SeanF
2004-Dec-10, 09:34 PM
First - many sitcoms are not filmed in front of a live audience. :D

Those that do generally have the vast majority of their scenes set on one or two sets, which I would imagine could be rotated fairly easily.

Outdoor or other scenes that would be problematic in front of a live audience are often filmed ahead of time, then played back on monitors for the live audience to get the laugh track. I know that's what they did in the episode of "Friends" where Chandler accidentally caught a glimpse of Rachel topless.

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-10, 10:16 PM
SeanF is correct. They have what is called a 4-camera set up so that they can get the master shot from every angle. Then, they go back and do the closeups. It generally takes about 4 hours to shoot one half hour.

Beforehand, and in between, they have an audience warmer, aka comedian, who gets everyone all excited and laughing and in a good mood.

I had the opportunity to watch the finale of Growing Pains live, as well as an episode of Coach.

The front of the Severs' house with the driveway was a set.

Usually, there are 3 to four stages. They look like rooms with a wall missing. They can be changed out from week to week.

If you watch the episode of Friends where they all went to the beach house to meet Phoebe's mother, that house was actually Monica's apartment redone.

Shows like The Wonder Years or Arrested Development are shot in the same fashion as drama with a film camera.

SeanF
2004-Dec-10, 10:19 PM
SeanF is correct.
I'm telling you, one of these days, I'm going to put that in my sig! ;)

SciFi Chick
2004-Dec-10, 10:28 PM
SeanF is correct.
I'm telling you, one of these days, I'm going to put that in my sig! ;)

Save it for someone who doesn't know how often you are. Maybe they'll think I'm an authority figure and you can give them an arguement from authority. :lol: