PDA

View Full Version : Dyson vacuums, worth it?

Captain Kidd
2004-Dec-12, 10:24 PM
We're needing a new vacuum, and the Dyson line (http://www.dyson.com/) has caught my eye. Particularly the canister version (http://www.dyson.com/range/range_overview.asp?model=DC11). Anybody here have one or have knowledge about them? At $500, I want to be certain.

Ironically, their online game (http://www.dyson.com/game/default.asp) made me aware of them, and I thought I was immune to advertising. #-o

kucharek
2004-Dec-12, 10:31 PM
Man, with all these Dyson sphere, Dyson tree and vacuum energy threads here on BABB I had to read your posting three times - and recognizing that we're in BABBling - to get out of astronomical confusion and into basic housework. :o #-o

Captain Kidd
2004-Dec-12, 10:33 PM
Hah! I was kinda hoping to trip somebody up. :lol:

kucharek
2004-Dec-12, 10:37 PM
Already the word "vacuum cleaner" is complete nonsense. You can't clean a vacuum! If you can clean it, it can't be a vacuum! :roll:

frogesque
2004-Dec-12, 11:13 PM
Already the word "vacuum cleaner" is complete nonsense. You can't clean a vacuum! If you can clean it, it can't be a vacuum! :roll:

Oh! Just get on with the hoovering! :lol:

zebo-the-fat
2004-Dec-12, 11:59 PM
I have had a dyson DC02 for about 6 years now and have had no problems with it. It has a HEPA filter to help with allergies, asthma etc. Ours has replacable filters but i think that the newer ones have re-useable (washable?) filters. I would recomend them :D

teemo
2004-Dec-13, 03:34 AM
Consumer Reports gives them a decent rating - No. 13 out of 32 they tested.

To summarize:
- carpets - good
- bare floors - excellent
- ease of use - fair
- noise - fair
- emissions - excellent

The HEPA filter is washable.

What do I know about vacuums? I'm still using the one I got off my mom and it's at least 15 years old (I've had to fix a couple of parts and live with a few broken ones).

Street price on the Dyson Animal is around $400.

It all depends on whether you want to spend that much on a vacuum cleaner.

I'll keep my old Hoover until the thing blows up or a major part falls off (I'm in frugal mode - saving up for the things I'll need after I buy a house).

Tom

Tobin Dax
2004-Dec-13, 04:05 AM
Man, with all these Dyson sphere, Dyson tree and vacuum energy threads here on BABB I had to read your posting three times - and recognizing that we're in BABBling - to get out of astronomical confusion and into basic housework. :o #-o

I'm so glad it wasn't just me. I couldn't help but wonder what in the heck a "Dyson Vacuum" was. Tree-sure, sphere-you bet, but vacuum.? :-s :D

Grey
2004-Dec-13, 04:41 AM
Well, if a Dyson sphere is a big shell around a star, a Dyson vacuum must be a star surrounded by vacuum. Hey, we've already got that! :D

Sammy
2004-Dec-13, 05:41 AM
The reprise of the Consumer Reports review is correct, but omits their comment that other vacs perform just as well for considerably less money. The issue now on sale has the review.

We just purchased their Best Buy, the Eureka Boss upright, with HEPA filtration--$129 at Best Buy. It includes a fleible hose attachment and tools (e.g., crevice tool, brush, etc.), all stored on-board.

Candy
2004-Dec-13, 06:22 AM
Anybody here have one or have knowledge about them?
I bought one. I love it.

It's the DC07 hepo+bactisafe (rootcyclone). It's a beauty. :D

Candy
2004-Dec-13, 08:52 AM
Forgive me, because I have only seen the commercial a couple of times, but there is this 'smart' vacuum. It is a little round sphere that cleans the carpet on its own. Then it returns to energize itself.

I'm not sure what it is, or how the heck it would help me. When I vacuum, I fill the designated area full of dirt. I can't see how the 'smart' vacuum would not jam due to all the dirt it collects. Assuming one, doesn't empty it everyday. :-?

zebo-the-fat
2004-Dec-13, 09:08 AM
I remember reading about one of the first carpet cleaners sold in victorian times, it wasn't a vacuum cleaner - it cleaned by BLOWING the dust away! I bet that was good! :o

2004-Dec-13, 10:17 AM
Forgive me, because I have only seen the commercial a couple of times, but there is this 'smart' vacuum. It is a little round sphere that cleans the carpet on its own. Then it returns to energize itself.
Roomba from iRobot (http://www.irobot.com/home.cfm). It would quickly succomb to the obstacle course of stuff on the floor in my house. If I have to pick up so the robot can do its job, then the robot is out of a job.

I remember reading about one of the first carpet cleaners sold in victorian times, it wasn't a vacuum cleaner - it cleaned by BLOWING the dust away! I bet that was good!
I recently got an air compressor for the garage, for tires and pneumatic tools, but use it most of all to blow all the sawdust out onto the driveway. Well, it blows a lot of dust up onto shelves, too, but every time I blow out the garage a little more dust leaves. I kinda wish I could raise a wall of the living room and blow it clean, too.

===

Finally, a trick I learned from a vacuum salesman (Brits are thinking, "You can sell anything in the US!") was that a vacuum cleaner can almost always pick up dirt that another vacuum left behind. There is always more dirt to be had. So, the pitch involved letting the prospect clean with their current machine and then following up with the product being pitched to show what was missed -- and then not ever letting the propect try their current machine again for a third pass, 'cause it will find even more.

mid
2004-Dec-13, 11:34 AM
I (heart) my DC04+Hepa.

Its great. The newer ones are even better, though - slightly more powerful, but mainly they've come up with a better way to empty the cylinder when it fills. I'd recommend going for something like a DC07 or greater if possible.

Still can't bring myself to spend the kind of cash a Dyson washing machine costs, though.

Candy
2004-Dec-13, 01:12 PM
Still can't bring myself to spend the kind of cash a Dyson washing machine costs, though. He's got washing machines, too? :P

Roomba from iRobot (http://www.irobot.com/home.cfm). That's it. I should read through the website to see where it puts the dirt. :-?

zebo-the-fat
2004-Dec-13, 01:27 PM
He's got washing machines, too?

Yes, I don't know how good they are, but they are expensive and pig-ugly! :D

Togusa
2004-Dec-14, 12:23 AM
We're needing a new vacuum, and the Dyson line (http://www.dyson.com/) has caught my eye.
Funny you guys should bring this up -- this past Sunday, I was watching Big! (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/big/big.html) on the Discovery Channel, and they were building a fully-functioning 19' 6" tall Dyson cyclone vac. One of the builders involved works for Dyson. Intriguing if you're into this sort of stuff. :)

enginelessjohn
2004-Dec-14, 09:07 AM
Probably going to sound deeply sad, but I've got two.... I've had a DC04 for about 4 years now, and a DC07 for about a month.

I should add that I've been using the DC04 in the process of renovating my house, and about a month ago in the middle of cleaning up for the plasterers turning up, it died. So I used some very adult language at it, and rushed out and got a DC07. By the time I got home, the DC04 had decided to start working again. So I opened it up, and realised that the filters needed cleaning...... Given that I'm using it to clean up the insides of fireplaces there is lots of very fine dust, and the filters do need cleaning more than the recommended 6 months. I don't think they are really designed for that kind of cleaning, but it is holding up pretty well so far.....

However I can't recommend them highly enough. They are robust, and they draw alot of muck out of your carpets, and they are very simple (particularly the DC07) to empty. They aren't cheap, but they really do work.

Cheers
John

Edited for grammar, again!

Morrolan
2004-Dec-14, 09:37 AM
i really don't see the point of spending so much money on a vacuum cleaner when you can get the job done just as well for a lot less money...

the price/quality ratio is not very good, IMO.

Candy
2004-Dec-14, 11:07 AM
i really don't see the point of spending so much money on a vacuum cleaner when you can get the job done just as well for a lot less money...

I recommend the Dyson for people with extremely long hair. The DC07 doesn't require belts, so it's quick and easy to rid the tangled hairs.

I am a person that goes through the cheap vacuum every year, because I blow them up. In the long run, the money is worth the quality of the product.

I am going into my second year with the DC07, and it still works. I have a good feeling the DC07 and I will make it well past the honeymoon stage.

Added bonus: I had new carpet put in when I first moved, and the DC07 gave me the ability to see the fiber fuzz. I had to empty it 5 times while vacuuming just 1 time. Normally, I wouldn't have bothered to change the filter on a regular vacuum during 1 time. 8-[

mid
2004-Dec-14, 12:09 PM

This is going to be the Mac Vs. PC thread all over again, isn't it? I'd suggest that 'almost as well' would be more accurate, and also point at the glorious design work to defend my ludicrous expenditure, and you're going to argue that I'm wasting my money on stuff that looks lovely, but won't clean Half-Life 2.

No, that's not right.

kucharek
2004-Dec-14, 12:16 PM

Well, you save the money for the bags of normal vacuum cleaners. Though they are not as bad priced as ink for your printer, they cost some money and depending on the amount of cleaning your flat requires, you may soon reach a break-even point with a Dyson.

Harald

Ut
2004-Dec-14, 04:36 PM
Oh man. No bags. Having a sucky bit on the handle so you don't have to go taking the twirly bit on the bottom off and replace it with other attachments. That alone makes it worth its weight in gold, Jerry! GOLD!

My parents went out and spent a fortune on a high quality vacuum back, oh, 20 years ago. And it still works the same as the day they bought it. So, it can be worth spending the extra money.

mutant
2004-Dec-14, 05:37 PM
We saw a Dyson and it is made of plastic......ewwwwwwww. We bought a Kirby about 10 years ago. You can throw that thing off a building, run over it with a train, toss it on a land mine and call it bad names and it still outcleans anything I could find.
And now for a commercial announcement............ :lol:

mid
2004-Dec-15, 10:51 AM
We saw a Dyson and it is made of plastic......ewwwwwwww. We bought a Kirby about 10 years ago. You can throw that thing off a building, run over it with a train, toss it on a land mine and call it bad names and it still outcleans anything I could find.

But can you carry it up stairs? :D

AndrewGPaul
2004-Dec-15, 11:00 AM
Dyson moved its assembly plant from the UK to the far east a year or two ago, and it seems the build quality dropped. Hoepfully, they'll rectify that.

As for the washng machnes, the purple ones are even uglier!

Urk! the colours are different in the US and UK! That's just confusing. compare UK (http://www.dyson.co.uk/range/range_overview.asp?model=DC07) and US (http://www.dyson.com/range/range_overview.asp?model=DC07) ranges.

Candy
2004-Dec-15, 01:37 PM
Oh, the DC11 (http://www.dyson.com/range/range_overview.asp?model=DC11) is so cute! :D

captain swoop
2004-Dec-16, 11:26 AM
Dysons are ace, we have one, never loses suction and pick up the finest of dust. It's not the lightest of machines but the 'hose' will reach to the top of the stairs and compresses down small enough to fit into the handle.
Plus you don't bneed bags and the small filter pad on the exhaust hasn't even started to show any sign of dirt yet.

We have the upright 'multi cyclone' I can't speak for the smaller 'cylinder' types.