PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Astrophoto: Aurora Through the Dome

Fraser
2014-Feb-07, 10:10 PM
There’s not many places where you can be indoors and have a spectacular view of the Aurora Borealis, but the Churchill Northern Studies Centre in Canada is one. This incredible shot of the the aurora was taken from inside a plexiglass dome created specifically for being able to watch the sky from indoors. Astrophotographer Alan […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/109154/amazing-astrophoto-aurora-through-the-dome/)

moose1950
2014-Feb-09, 04:41 PM
Ethereal! So awesome. I would love to see that myself some day.

"The Ballad Of The Northern Lights", by Robert Service

And the skies of night were alive with light,
With a throbbing, thrilling flame;
Amber and rose and violet,
Opal and gold it came.

It swept the sky like a giant scythe,
It quivered back to a wedge;
Argently bright, it cleft the night
With a wavy golden edge.

Pennants of silver waved and streamed,
Lazy banners unfurled;
Sudden splendors of sabres gleamed,
Lightning javelins were hurled.

There in our awe we crouched and saw,
With our wild, uplifted eyes,
Charge and retire the hosts of fire
In the battlefield of the skies...

profloater
2014-Feb-09, 05:22 PM
Saw the green lights of oxygen 48 hours ago near tromso, Norway, then clouds last night, may see more tonight, on the ferry. Must note the time exposure cameras reveal more colours and brightness. The display is very mobile and surges, beautiful sight. using 7x50 binoculars I thought I detected red fringes, confirmed by someone else's camera. The red is another higher energy oxygen colour.

KaiYeves
2014-Feb-09, 05:24 PM
Aurora-watching indoors? I need to go there!

moose1950
2014-Feb-09, 05:59 PM
Saw the green lights of oxygen 48 hours ago near tromso, Norway, then clouds last night, may see more tonight, on the ferry. Must note the time exposure cameras reveal more colours and brightness. The display is very mobile and surges, beautiful sight. using 7x50 binoculars I thought I detected red fringes, confirmed by someone else's camera. The red is another higher energy oxygen colour.

Lucky you!