PDA

View Full Version : GMO-Wheat Poison?

Githyanki
2014-Feb-10, 06:49 PM
http://www.undergroundhealth.com/modern-wheat-is-the-perfect-chronic-poison-says-expert/

How true is that article? Now, I understand GMO foods, but poison? Really?

HenrikOlsen
2014-Feb-10, 07:28 PM
What do you understand about GMO foods?

NEOWatcher
2014-Feb-10, 07:49 PM
How true is that article? Now, I understand GMO foods, but poison? Really?
I don't know how true it is, but there are elements of that story that I think are hard to determine exactly how dangerous.

It contains something that increases inflamation. Ok; I can believe that. But there's also rocket fuel in milk. And chocolate is good for you.
The story then concentrates the effect with Celiac disease to make it sound really bad.

So; dairy is bad, meat is bad, now grains are bad. All we have to do now is find bad things about fruits and vegetables and we're doomed.

Strange
2014-Feb-10, 07:50 PM
How true is that article?

0/10 ?

Noclevername
2014-Feb-11, 01:11 AM
Now, I understand GMO foods, but poison? Really?

I don't understand. What about GMO foods?

Noclevername
2014-Feb-11, 01:17 AM
So; dairy is bad, meat is bad, now grains are bad. All we have to do now is find bad things about fruits and vegetables and we're doomed.

Fruit contains fructose (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?146569-Biochemistry-differences-and-similarities-of-ethanol-sugar-and-carbohydrates)!

Vegetables contain toxins!

However, vegetables often also contain toxins and antinutrients such as α-solanine, α-chaconine,[14] enzyme inhibitors (of cholinesterase, protease, amylase, etc.), cyanide and cyanide precursors, oxalic acid, and more.[15] Depending on the concentration, such compounds may reduce the edibility, nutritional value, and health benefits of dietary vegetables.

And both are brimming with deadly, deadly DiHydrogen Monoxide!

Trebuchet
2014-Feb-11, 01:31 AM
Fruit contains fructose (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?146569-Biochemistry-differences-and-similarities-of-ethanol-sugar-and-carbohydrates)!

Vegetables contain toxins!

And both are brimming with deadly, deadly DiHydrogen Monoxide!

I just drank from a glass containing that AND deadly fructose-derived ethanol. And various organic chemicals that altered the taste and made it a deep red-purple color. And it came from grapes that have been genetically modified by centuries of selective breeding. I think I'll have another.

Noclevername
2014-Feb-11, 01:34 AM
I just drank from a glass containing that AND deadly fructose-derived ethanol. And various organic chemicals that altered the taste and made it a deep red-purple color. And it came from grapes that have been genetically modified by centuries of selective breeding. I think I'll have another.

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17254&d=1341883154

korjik
2014-Feb-11, 02:48 AM
0/10 ?

That seems more than a little high. Are you a shill for these guys?

:)

Shaula
2014-Feb-11, 06:17 AM
I'd say that any chronic poison people can eat daily and live for 100 years is probably not one I am going be terrified of.

publiusr
2014-Feb-14, 10:54 PM
I think some of the GMO scare mongering is overdone, but it is always good to keep an open mind, especially with the way Monsanto sues farmers
http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/why-does-monsanto-sue-farmers-who-save-seeds.aspx

next they will say they own the air...
Some are fighting back http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/12/gmo-wheat-lawsuit-idaho_n_3430961.html

Now what I am worried about is this--big tobacco getting into Marihuana.

There won't be seeds or stems anymore, what with higher quality control, but generous blunts will be gone in that the cigarette rolling machines won't allow that size.
But when they start putting the same crap in it they do a regular pack of smokes--look out!

I can just see Bill Maher coughing up his lungs "what is this--? It looks like I have two heads!"

"Must be a bad trip."

"No! Monsanto made this--I mean I really have two heads!!"

Next thing you know, you can only get tobacco at Mom and Pop (Boris Karloff voice on) "apothecaries" (voice off) and folks will swear the organic version has healing traits of other herbs.

"Anti-pasto"...I said Karloff voice off...cough cough...excuse me a moment.

Noclevername
2014-Feb-14, 11:26 PM
"Anti-pasto"...I said Karloff voice off...cough cough...excuse me a moment.

"Karloff? KARRRRRLOFF?" --Martin Landau, as Bela Lugosi, in Ed Wood

Van Rijn
2014-Feb-16, 08:14 AM
I googled this, and apparently there is no commercialized genetically engineered wheat, though there have been a number of test varieties that companies are trying to commercialize. Wheat that's eaten has been subject to older techniques - mainly hybridization.

This "wheat is bad" stuff is from a Dr. William Davis. Apparently he wrote a book called "Wheat Belly" that became a bestseller, though this is the first time I heard of it. He claims that the modern wheat is supposed to be much worse for us than older wheat varieties, and that we shouldn't be eating it.

Counterarguments I see basically are along the lines of (shock!) modern wheat is nutritionally pretty much like older wheat, and that this is a magic bullet argument (which probably why his book is popular) but things aren't that simple. There's typically mention of why some should avoid it (celiac disease), but they argue that others can end up with worse diets in the attempt to avoid wheat.

publiusr
2014-Feb-16, 08:18 PM
There is this myth that the new foodstuffs are tearing up animals innards...not sure I buy it.

blueshift
2014-Feb-17, 08:15 PM
I have celiac disease and have had two bowel obstruction surgeries because of it. It took 56 years for me to find it out on my own but the last 9 years have been a relief. Wheat is something that I have to stay away from.

If you can eat wheat, knock yourself out. I think that the problem that is obvious is that there is not enough of incentive for people to change their eating habits when they really don't notice symptoms all that much and that the overall effect does not really put that big of a life expectancy difference between them and others who appear to be more health conscious.

I think that when heath conscious athletes start outliving non-athletes by 100+ years, then people who don't exercise or watch their diets so closely will start to pay attention and change. The gaps right now might only be about 10 to 15 years, not really all that much.

JustAFriend
2014-Feb-17, 08:40 PM
And they all contain deadly Dihydrogen Monoxide!