PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Continues (fan-made series)

jokergirl
2014-Feb-10, 11:00 PM
I've seen this linked from a blog today, and I loved it.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com

The acting isn't 100% for all the actors, but some of them are spot on. And of course, Grant Imahara is in it. It feels very much like a labour of love, and I think they captured the spirit of the old series perfectly.

;)

R.A.F.
2014-Feb-10, 11:11 PM
It feels very much like a labour of love, and I think they captured the spirit of the old series perfectly.

;)

What?....no continuous, distracting lens flares??

R.A.F.
2014-Feb-10, 11:32 PM
Oops...didn't notice they had made a 2nd episode....cool.

Solfe
2014-Feb-10, 11:56 PM
J.J. Abrams was like 2 in 1968, so no lens flare. Effectively, it wasn't invented yet.

I loved the cold open of the first show. It was perfect.

R.A.F.
2014-Feb-11, 12:00 AM
J.J. Abrams was like 2 in 1968, so no lens flare.

I have faith that he would mess it up given the opportunity...it's just what he does.

...and no wonder I wasn't aware of the 2nd episode as it just went online day before yesterday.

Noclevername
2014-Feb-11, 12:46 AM
Cool. Are they taking story submissions?

Swift
2014-Feb-11, 02:49 AM
Thanks jokergirl. That's great. I just started watching it; certainly has the feel of the original.

jokergirl
2014-Feb-11, 09:20 AM
Cool. Are they taking story submissions?

They did have a contest for script pitches last year (look at the blog); I hope they will have more of those.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Feb-11, 10:36 AM
J.J. Abrams was like 2 in 1968, so no lens flare. Effectively, it wasn't invented yet.
Or rather it was something great effort was expended on avoiding.

Paul Beardsley
2014-Feb-11, 11:24 AM
Ten minutes in I've had to tear myself away from it as I have things to do today - and I'm not even a Star Trek fan!

Only complaint is the holograms that make a noise and glitch when you walk through them. Otherwise, brilliant casting, acting not really any worse than the original, intriguing story, and an ability to draw in this audience member in a way Abrams could only dream of doing!

jokergirl
2014-Feb-12, 10:02 AM
Ten minutes in I've had to tear myself away from it as I have things to do today - and I'm not even a Star Trek fan!

That was my reaction exactly! I never was a huge fan of Star Trek, but the attention to detail with which they captured the spirit of the old series is just admirable.
And the story was good as well. I found myself genuinely enjoying it, old-time Star Trek-y cheesiness notwithstanding. Amazing that they could bring in the same actor as the original Apollo. Today I shall watch episode 2, hopefully!

;)

Van Rijn
2014-Feb-12, 10:38 AM
It looks good, they've really got the details down for this one, and the acting is fairly good (some of these things have truly painful acting). They aren't the first fan series to do this kind of thing.

Star Trek: Phase II/New Voyages has done the same kind of thing, as a continuing voyage show, some original series actors. Some episodes are pretty good, some hard to watch. As fan made shows, though, very impressive.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men (a single fan movie/show) is a meh story with often painful acting, but amazing for the sheer number of actors from various Star Trek series appearing.

http://startrekofgodsandmen.com/main/

Star Trek Farragut is set in the same time frame as the original Star Trek. One of the earlier episodes was really painful to watch, but this one isn't too bad and has the "feel" of a Star Trek episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKQ1FHQc68

Star Trek Aurora is a CGI show about an hour long total that has a fairly decent story, though you have to get used to the animation.

http://www.auroratrek.com/

There are some Next Generation styled shows that I couldn't stand watching for more than a few minutes - poor acting and painful special effects.

Van Rijn
2014-Feb-12, 10:54 AM
Looking at my post, I may be too hard in my wording on these shows - objectively there were worse episodes in the real TV series than almost any of these, the better ones are pretty good when compared against the original, and they're all impressive for fan made shows. It's also surprising they didn't get sued into oblivion. Apparently there was some legal stuff in the early days, but the Star Trek franchise owners have been good about it in recent years.

jokergirl
2014-Feb-12, 11:17 AM
If I read the site correctly, Farragut is made by the same people as Continues.

;)

NEOWatcher
2014-Feb-13, 04:12 PM
That was my reaction exactly! I never was a huge fan of Star Trek, but the attention to detail with which they captured the spirit of the old series is just admirable.
I had the same thought, except there is something about their voices that get to me.
They just seem to soft or airy or something like that. Maybe even a touch of helium.
Because of that, their voices all sound like each other to me.

Van Rijn
2014-Feb-13, 08:00 PM
If I read the site correctly, Farragut is made by the same people as Continues.

;)

Looking at some of their other stuff, "Captain Kirk" (real name Vic Mignogna) directed the last Farragut episode, and apparently he has some real acting background, and is also crazy about Star Trek (really crazy - he apparently memorized all the dialogue of the original series). That might help explain why that last Farragut seemed better. (The acting seemed better, and so did the attention to the effects, sound, and music - dramatic music in the right place makes a difference.)

publiusr
2014-Feb-14, 10:30 PM
I had the same thought, except there is something about their voices that get to me.

That is probably because Vic Mignogna is best known as the voice of the Full Metal Alchemist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Mignogna
http://thisweekingeek.net/episodes/future-imperfect-star-trek-renegades-vic-mignogna-interview

DonM435
2014-Feb-15, 03:14 PM
Those are very good shows, nice approximations of the originals. I already like 'em better than the recent movies, and they were produced for slightly less money, I'd imagine!

Solfe
2014-Feb-15, 03:16 PM
They just seem to soft or airy or something like that. Maybe even a touch of helium.
Because of that, their voices all sound like each other to me.

Thanks, I was fine with it until you said something. Capt. OCD showed up, and together we download an equalizer for my chromebook. It sounds better in general now.

publiusr
2014-Feb-15, 07:59 PM
That airy sound is what allows Vic to voice younger characters in anime...

iquestor
2014-Feb-16, 02:05 PM
this is pretty awesome and I am amazed at the sets they produced. my only comment is the voices which seemed to be soft-spoken as was pointed out before. This is filmed in Georgia so Im wondering if they would allow visitors?

publiusr
2014-Feb-16, 08:09 PM
I wonder if Aaron Dismuke is in this new fan series. He was also in Full Metal...Vic has this tale of how Aaron was stuck in his recording booth one time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Dismuke

NorthernDevo
2014-Feb-17, 07:51 AM
Thank you for posting this! I quite like it; and to support other respondents I'm not at all concerned with the less-than-perfect acting.

After all; J.J. Abrams has some superb actors; but gives them little to work with.

I like the fact that the actors are developing the characters on their own; they're not trying to 'be' Bill Shatner or James Doohan. Beyond that; a good storyline, decent effects and rousing dialogue. Well done! :)

Swift
2014-Jun-16, 01:22 AM
Episode 3 is now on the website. Like the others, a continuation of an Original Series episode, this one the alternate universe ST.

R.A.F.
2014-Jun-17, 02:03 PM
Episode 3 is now on the website. Like the others, a continuation of an Original Series episode, this one the alternate universe ST.

Thanks for the "heads up". :)

I don't know if it's just my extreme hatred of all things, J.J., but I really like this web based series better than the Hollywood reboot.

Swift
2014-Jun-17, 06:27 PM
I don't know if it's just my extreme hatred of all things, J.J., but I really like this web based series better than the Hollywood reboot.
I think I'd like it no matter what, but I completely agree. I think they've done a great job of giving the look and feel of the Original Series. They've even given a few nods to the future universe of ST and continuity (such as the red-headed woman being the very first "Ship's Counselor").

The first three episodes have all been continuations of actual episodes from the Original Series (though I guess the first episode was more a continuation of themes, rather than a specific episode). I'd love it if they came up with some new material, with the same theme and feel, but a new story line.

jokergirl
2014-Jun-23, 09:43 AM
Of all the people in the show, I was not expecting Grant Imahara to get his shirt off. But then, I suppose that's in line with his fabulous predecessor.

Nice episode again. I do like the spin they put on the old stories, although I agree that I'd like to see more original material. If anybody sees them announcing another script pitch, please give me a heads-up!

;)

NGCHunter
2014-Jul-10, 02:11 AM

Thanks, I've really been enjoying this series and hope they continue to make more.

iquestor
2014-Jul-10, 01:18 PM
I have watched all three and I am impressed with pretty much everything: sets, costumes, storyline/plot, sound effects, etc.
I have even gotten to really like some of the acting, although I think Bones and spock are hit or miss.

much of the original feel of the series seems preserved.

My question: How are they making any money off of this? How are they not getting sued out the wazoo?

Swift
2014-Jul-10, 01:52 PM
I think the answer to the first question is that they are not making money. I certainly don't think they are making a profit and I think they are actually losing money. I think there was some crowd-sourced money and the rest is out of individual pockets.

I don't know about the copyright issues. Maybe they got permission. Maybe the original copyrights are expired.

SeanF
2014-Jul-10, 02:19 PM
Maybe the original copyrights are expired.
In the US? Ha! It'll be a good 50 years (from now!) before the copyrights expire on "Star Trek," and that's assuming the government doesn't change the law between then and now.

According to this interview (http://renegadecinema.com/18809/star-trek-continues-interview-vic-mignogna) with Vic Mignongna:

We are simply relying on the good graces of CBS to allow us and other fan productions to exist. They graciously do so AS LONG AS we are not monetizing it in any way. We are not to make money or profit financially from their property. But thatís not a problem for us, since thatís never why we wanted to do this in the first place.

R.A.F.
2014-Jul-10, 02:54 PM
I think the answer to the first question is that they are not making money. I certainly don't think they are making a profit and I think they are actually losing money.

Funny how these not for profit web productions are able to capture (almost in it's entirety) the flavor of the old series, and the JJ movies completely ignore that flavor, although still using the characters as a "backdrop" for Attack of the Lens Flares.

As homage to the original, I can't see how you get it any better than Star Trek Continues.

Swift
2014-Jul-10, 05:57 PM
Funny how these not for profit web productions are able to capture (almost in it's entirety) the flavor of the old series, and the JJ movies completely ignore that flavor, although still using the characters as a "backdrop" for Attack of the Lens Flares.

I think the relationship between those two characteristics (not for profit and flavor) is not coincidence, but are closely connected.

I think Hollywood (not just JJ) are under the belief that for a movie or TV show to be profitable, it has to be a certain style and have certain content. And that content and style is currently aimed at what they think the average 13 year old boy wants, and that is a lot of lens flares and explosions and action. They don't believe that a TV program like Star Trek Continues could be profitable.

They might be right, I don't know. I would pay for such stuff, but are there enough people like me out there to make money on such a thing... I don't know.

But they might be wrong and they may be missing a big opportunity.