PDA

View Full Version : Happy 1st Anniversary Chelyabinsk! The Fireball that Woke Up the World

Fraser
2014-Feb-15, 08:00 PM
Wonder and terror. Every time I watch the dashcam videos of the Chelyabinsk fireball it sends chills down my spine. One year ago today, February 15, 2013, the good citizens of Chelyabinsk, Russia and surrounding towns collectively experienced these two powerful emotions as they witnessed the largest meteorite fall in over 100 years.*(...)Read the rest […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/109376/happy-1st-anniversary-chelyabinsk-the-fireball-that-woke-up-the-world/)

publiusr
2014-Feb-15, 08:03 PM
One year ago already? Wow.

KaiYeves
2014-Feb-15, 09:01 PM
One year ago already? Wow.

Last year just went by very fast in general, at least for me.

This event has certainly had an impact on societal awareness of asteroids and other small solar system bodies-- yesterday I was interviewed for our university newspaper about a new technique for chemical analysis of meteorites and the implications for the origin of life on Earth. Boston is a very big city for medical and biotechnology research, so it's VERY rare to see a non-medical story in the paper's Science Tuesday section, but someone at the publishing office was aware of this story and thought it was worth reporting on this coming Tuesday. And while I can't prove anything, I would hazard that this event may have been a reason they thought so.

publiusr
2014-Feb-15, 09:02 PM
I just wish the thing had come down over DC to shake a few votes in favor of one percent for space.