PDA

View Full Version : Where's my hoverboard?

NEOWatcher
2014-Feb-17, 08:11 PM
Only a year left and no rumors yet.

But; there is hope. We are going to get self lacing tennis shoes (http://nypost.com/2014/02/17/nike-is-actually-making-marty-mcflys-self-lacing-shoes/).

Noclevername
2014-Feb-17, 08:58 PM
The hoverboard's in the Moon base, next to the flying car, jetpack, robot butler, and world peace. :(

Solfe
2014-Feb-17, 09:42 PM
Oh... god.

swampyankee
2014-Feb-17, 09:46 PM
In my garage, next to the transmatter.

KaiYeves
2014-Feb-17, 10:51 PM
The hoverboard's in the Moon base, next to the flying car, jetpack, robot butler, and world peace. :(

If everyone knew that such wonderful things could be found there, support for missions to the moon would be overwhelming!

Noclevername
2014-Feb-18, 12:31 AM
If everyone knew that such wonderful things could be found there, support for missions to the moon would be overwhelming!

The makers of skateboard wheels, roads, and weapons, not to mention the Butlers' Union, would all be objecting strenuously. Butlers wield a lot of lobbying power, everyone knows Senators would never be able to take care of themselves without them...

Van Rijn
2014-Feb-18, 02:12 AM
I thought this was a pretty good hoverboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VRNU_D_UImk#t=172

(people riding a high temp superconductor hoverboard floating down a track)

Noclevername
2014-Feb-18, 02:31 AM
I thought this was a pretty good hoverboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VRNU_D_UImk#t=172

(people riding a high temp superconductor hoverboard floating down a track)

Now all we have to do is get the sidewalks paved with high-powered magnets, and we'll be all set.

John Mendenhall
2014-Feb-18, 02:58 AM
I'm sorry, I broke the hover board in little pieces and dropped them into the Mr. Fusion.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Feb-18, 12:33 PM
Butlers wield a lot of lobbying power, everyone knows Senators would never be able to take care of themselves without them...
Ah, but those are actually Valets, not Butlers.

Different union.

NEOWatcher
2014-Feb-18, 02:14 PM
Now all we have to do is get the sidewalks paved with high-powered magnets, and we'll be all set.
No wonder they don't work over water.

Noclevername
2014-Feb-20, 11:45 AM
So the hoverboard, like the flying car, jetpack, and household multitask robot, all technically exist, they just are totally impractical and massively expensive. I can't comment on world peace, but the Moon base looks like it could happen within my lifetime... just not by my country.

publiusr
2014-Feb-21, 10:06 PM
Oh ye of little faith. You must join me and the One True Church of the Heavy Lift.

KaiYeves
2014-Feb-21, 10:39 PM
Oh ye of little faith. You must join me and the One True Church of the Heavy Lift.

First thing we do, let's kill all the butlers.

Noclevername
2014-Feb-21, 10:46 PM
First thing we do, let's kill all the butlers.

It is rumored that the first Heavy-Lift Butler is now in development... to clean up all that Moon dust.

NEOWatcher
2014-Feb-24, 06:29 PM
It is rumored that the first Heavy-Lift Butler is now in development... to clean up all that Moon dust.
So that's why the Dustbuster was in the antiques shop... It was replaced by the HL Dustbutler.

JustAFriend
2014-Feb-24, 08:02 PM
Here, build one yourself (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yFMF1sSb2E).

Now if you can come up with some Back To The Future physics that allows reactionless propulsion, knock yourself out and claim a Nobel Prize....

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-05, 09:14 PM
I just saw an article about a "real" hoverboard being faked (http://www.twcc.com/articles/2014/03/04/h/here-are-our-best-guesses-for-who-s-behind-that-fake-hover-board-commercial).

They give 4 possibilities of where it might have originated.

Even with the recent hype, they never even considered it's Nike.

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-06, 03:30 AM
It's funny how so many people take humor seriously. Marty McFly has a skateboard in 1985, he makes one in 1955, he flies on one in 2015. The Texaco in 1955 is full-service, and the one in 2015 is full-service--but it's done by a robotic contraption. Trash in 2015 is made of Laserdiscs and CDs, the weather service is more reliable than the post office, Jaws 19 is in theaters, instant pizza can't come fast enough for Marty Jr. -- very little of the Back to the Future movies isn't a joke on some level. That's why they're some of my favorite movies.

Noclevername
2014-Mar-06, 01:10 PM
It's funny how so many people take humor seriously. Marty McFly has a skateboard in 1985, he makes one in 1955, he flies on one in 2015. The Texaco in 1955 is full-service, and the one in 2015 is full-service--but it's done by a robotic contraption. Trash in 2015 is made of Laserdiscs and CDs, the weather service is more reliable than the post office, Jaws 19 is in theaters, instant pizza can't come fast enough for Marty Jr. -- very little of the Back to the Future movies isn't a joke on some level. That's why they're some of my favorite movies.

It's not the hoverboard itself, it's what it represents. Like the jetpack, it's the idea that the future would have awesome cool adventures awaiting us all, not Twitter and Facebook and Reality TV.

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-06, 04:17 PM
But there was no manure in 2015.

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-06, 07:31 PM
I guess I was wrong about the video. It seems as though it's from Funny or Die.
Here is an apology from Tony Hawk (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/tony-hawk-is-very-sorry-he-made-everyone-believe-hoverboards-were-real/). That one just irks me. I don't think he shouldn't be apologizing for the people who thought it was real. Instead, it should be a teaching moment.

And; Christopher Lloyd chimes in (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/eb823e7388/funny-or-die-is-sorry-for-lying-about-hoverboards) saying he was tricked. That one is at least funny. But then again, I always get a laugh out of him. Even when he was Kruge, there was something about the way he said his lines... "Yes, exhilarating, isn't it?"

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-06, 09:07 PM
It's not the hoverboard itself, it's what it represents. Like the jetpack, it's the idea that the future would have awesome cool adventures awaiting us all, not Twitter and Facebook and Reality TV.

Like a tablet computer the thickness of a piece of cardboard on which one can wirelessly access a global network of other computers, on which reside much of human knowledge and creative output?

Like flying RC drones that carry an HD video camera and beam back what they see, allowing the pilot to explore spaces too small or dangerous for a human to visit, all in complete safety for less than $1,000? Or being able to own your own underwater ROV for $1,450?

Or a thermal video camera attachment for your pocket computer for $350?

Or robotic muscles with a power-to-weight ratio 100 times greater than a human's, made of cheap plastic fishing line?

Or fishing line with a strength-to-weight ratio approx. 3.4 times that of spider silk available at Walmart?

Or . . .

If people are bored with the future, they're not paying attention.

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-06, 09:18 PM
I see a blurry line between the two.
The tablet, RC drones, etc are all technological marvels for sure, but all things that slowly evolved which kind of takes the kick out of it.
The hoverboard defies gravity...

It's hard to come up with futuristic stuff that we just won't reach.

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-06, 09:33 PM
It's easy to come up with futuristic stuff that we won't reach: ignore physics.

The hoverboard ignores Newtonian mechanics. Supposing that there was an anti-gravity force to keep it aloft, how do you steer in a new direction on a hoverboard? You can't react against the ground using wheels, so you just keep floating along in a straight line.

SeanF
2014-Mar-06, 09:41 PM
You'd just have to have a rudder on it that automatically reacts to tilting the board. :)

Noclevername
2014-Mar-06, 09:43 PM
If people are bored with the future, they're not paying attention.

It's not the adventure we were promised. Strong fishing line just does not make up for a lack of hoverboards or jetpacks.

The hoverboard ignores Newtonian mechanics. Supposing that there was an anti-gravity force to keep it aloft, how do you steer in a new direction on a hoverboard? You can't react against the ground using wheels, so you just keep floating along in a straight line.

Given that it doesn't fly over water, it appears to work on a ground-effect repulsion. So tilting the board leads to uneven force distribution, and turns it.

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-06, 10:08 PM
It's not the adventure we were promised. Strong fishing line just does not make up for a lack of hoverboards or jetpacks.

That's not very fair of you, ignoring the incredibly cool things I mentioned, and focusing on the fishing line--I included it because spider silk used to be a futuristic wonder-material, if only we could produce it.

I'd like to have a jetpack, sure. Would I trade all the cool stuff that the real future has for a jetpack and a hoverboard? No way.

Given that it doesn't fly over water, it appears to work on a ground-effect repulsion. So tilting the board leads to uneven force distribution, and turns it.

They float over water, kicking against liquid water with your foot to propel yourself forward doesn't work nearly as well as kicking against solid ground, and that's why Marty got stuck over the large pool. Griff's Pitbull board has propulsive jets to move forward over water.

Noclevername
2014-Mar-06, 10:16 PM
That's not very fair of you, ignoring the incredibly cool things I mentioned, and focusing on the fishing line--

I picked it because you included it. The other stuff you mentioned are cool, but not jetpack cool.

I'd like to have a jetpack, sure. Would I trade all the cool stuff that the real future has for a jetpack and a hoverboard? No way.

It's not a trade off. The future was supposed to have all that stuff. I'm talking about how I feel, it's not a contest.

They float over water, kicking against liquid water with your foot to propel yourself forward doesn't work nearly as well as kicking against solid ground, and that's why Marty got stuck over the large pool.

That fits my definition of "doesn't fly". If it slows to a stop over water, it's not flying. IIRC what Dr. Brown said was "It doesn't work over water!"

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-06, 10:27 PM
I picked it because you included it. The other stuff you mentioned are cool, but not jetpack cool.

What would be jetpack-cool? I barely said anything about the cool stuff that exists now.

If you want a personal flying machine, what about a powered paraglider? They're pretty close to a jetpack. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_paragliding

If you want VTOL, well, we're pretty much there now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Jetpack

Noclevername
2014-Mar-07, 06:25 AM
What would be jetpack-cool? I barely said anything about the cool stuff that exists now.

If you want a personal flying machine, what about a powered paraglider? They're pretty close to a jetpack. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_paragliding

If you want VTOL, well, we're pretty much there now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Jetpack

You're missing the point. As I said above, it's not the specific technology, it's the idea of the shiny hopeful future that was painted all through my childhood and teen years, that seemed totally plausible and achievable and yet will never come to pass, despite there being nothing impossible or even particularly hard about it. It was the idea that we could solve problems and that things would turn around and we'd get our collective stuff together.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Mar-07, 12:07 PM
Like a tablet computer the thickness of a piece of cardboard on which one can wirelessly access a global network of other computers, on which reside much of human knowledge and creative output?
And which is predominantly used to watch cat pictures and pick fights with strangers.

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-07, 11:03 PM
You're missing the point. As I said above, it's not the specific technology, it's the idea of the shiny hopeful future that was painted all through my childhood and teen years, that seemed totally plausible and achievable and yet will never come to pass, despite there being nothing impossible or even particularly hard about it. It was the idea that we could solve problems and that things would turn around and we'd get our collective stuff together.

You're in your, what, 40s? Great strides have been made since you were a child--visit Africa, a continent that while ravaged by civil war, genocide and diseases since that time, is massively better than it was in the '80s. China, poor agrarian society to economic and technological powerhouse.

There are more democratic nations now than there ever have been.

Is it perhaps possible that your childhood self wasn't that good at judging how plausible things really were in a given timeframe? Goodness knows I had some laughable ideas about the future. If it wasn't physically hard, expensive (another form of hard), and was worth doing, wouldn't we be doing it?

I'm optimistic about the future, we're just getting started in the grand long-term scheme of things.

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-07, 11:08 PM
And which is predominantly used to watch cat pictures and pick fights with strangers.

Statistics on that?

Otherwise, it's just cynicism, which while fun isn't automatically the truth.

Van Rijn
2014-Mar-08, 12:10 AM

Not to you, but to me, my handheld supercomputer/communicator/camera/recorder/radio/TV/world network access device/computer library access device/tricorder (http://www.medgadget.com/2013/10/alivecor-launches-new-universal-mobile-heart-monitor.html)/remote control, and oh by the way, a flashlight, is *WAY* cooler than a jetpack.

Noclevername
2014-Mar-08, 12:57 AM
If it wasn't physically hard, expensive (another form of hard), and was worth doing, wouldn't we be doing it?

Was that intended as a joke or a serious question?

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-08, 03:08 AM
Was that intended as a joke or a serious question?

Serious.

You're being quite vague. What "adventures" do you want to be having, that would live up to your promised future? Were you expecting Johnny Quest?

Noclevername
2014-Mar-08, 12:25 PM
Serious.

You're being quite vague. What "adventures" do you want to be having, that would live up to your promised future? Were you expecting Johnny Quest?

You seem to be taking this idea rather more seriously and literally than it was meant. As I said, I'm expressing a feeling, nothing more. Why do you keep asking me to justify a feeling? It's how I feel. If you feel differently, or that seems too "vague", well, that's why they call it an opinion and not a fact.

...On that note, This is my last post on the topic.

SkepticJ
2014-Mar-09, 01:19 AM
Not to you, but to me, my handheld supercomputer/communicator/camera/recorder/radio/TV/world network access device/computer library access device/tricorder (http://www.medgadget.com/2013/10/alivecor-launches-new-universal-mobile-heart-monitor.html)/remote control, and oh by the way, a flashlight, is *WAY* cooler than a jetpack.

Soon-to-be 3D scanner: http://www.3ders.org/articles/20131205-scientists-develop-new-app-to-turn-mobile-phones-into-3d-scanners.html

And human-hunting aid: http://gizmodo.com/flir-just-turned-your-iphone-5-into-a-predator-like-the-1496554213

Van Rijn
2014-Mar-09, 09:26 AM
There was a '60s James Bond parody movie called "Our Man Flint" where the superspy Flint is offered gizmos like Q gives Bond. Flint pulled out his own little box he had made himself that had dozens of functions (a radio was one), that did more than all the other gizmos combined, so he didn't need any of the others. I sometimes think of that movie when I look at a smartphone - they're sort of the swiss army knife of electronics.