PDA

View Full Version : BA in Return of the Jedi

James Felix
2002-Jun-19, 01:58 PM
First off, I apologize if this has been covered before, but I'm new here and don't see it posted anywhere so here goes.

Am I wrong or did the Rebels doom the entire ecosystem of Endor when they blew up the Death Star?

Here's how I see it: we've been told several times that the first DS was the size of "a small moon", and that the new DS was even larger. Well, by "small moon" let's say they mean half the size of Earths moon. Then let's take 2/3 of that since it was incomplete. Then lets reduce that by 80% since the Death Star was hollow. Then let's say that when it exploded a full 50% of it's mass blew away from the planet.

If we allow for the generous assumptions I just made, that leaves us with an amount of material equal to 3.5% of the mass of Earths moon raining down on Endor from low orbit, and considering the explosion that's propelling it I think all that junk has got to be traveling at the speed of sound at a minimum. Included in that mix has got to be a bunch of radioactives, various fuels and heavy metals.

Wouldn't such an event dwarf the impact that supposedly sounded the death knell of the dinosaurs?

David Hall
2002-Jun-19, 02:09 PM
Hi James. Welcome to the board.

This is hardly a new thought of course. It may have been discussed several times, but I don't think it's been brought up since the new bulletin board software was installed last October.

Yes, the basic idea is that Endor would have suffered quite a bit. For more than you ever wanted to know about it, just go here:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

James Felix
2002-Jun-19, 02:12 PM
Ok, I just barely glanced at that page but MAN does it look cool. Thanks for the link!

Aaron Barker
2002-Jun-24, 09:19 PM
I dont't think the rebels were conserned about Endor's ecosystem, they probobly regaurded it as colladeral damage.
(plus the ewoks where annoying anyway)

Rift
2002-Jun-25, 06:50 AM
I dont't think the rebels were conserned about Endor's ecosystem, they probobly regaurded it as colladeral damage.
(plus the ewoks where annoying anyway)

I was on a wargaming board once, and somebody pointed out, that in the Star Wars universe, the Ewoks are military GENIUSES. They pick and choosed the battles they fought, they used surprise, they used the terrain to their advantage, and most importantly, they even used TACTICS. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aaron Barker
2002-Jun-25, 11:46 PM
I never said they weren't smart just said they were annoying =).