PDA

View Full Version : NASA The Invisible Organization

Gorn
2014-Mar-04, 09:47 PM
Hello. I believe NASA to be an extremely opaque organization. I much better 'telescope' into the organization is what's needed. Over the years I have been
very 'probing'...and it has always been hard to know what they are doing and why. I know somewhat what NASA 'sells'...but what is really going on is a hard
mystery to crack. Basically I would like details.

Also, I hear a lot about 'social media'. My experiences have been much less than 'stellar'. No easy ability to 'connect'....or any organized feel for what
I would be doing.

O'h well.

Any comments?
Bye
SC

ToSeek
2014-Mar-05, 03:11 AM
What are you after? Part of the problem may be that NASA's public outreach efforts are highly balkanized - each mission has a little bit of money to do that with, and it's not coordinated on an agency-wide level. And now even much of the funding for that has been cut.

molesworth
2014-Mar-05, 01:26 PM
Hello. I believe NASA to be an extremely opaque organization. I much better 'telescope' into the organization is what's needed. Over the years I have been
very 'probing'...and it has always been hard to know what they are doing and why. I know somewhat what NASA 'sells'...but what is really going on is a hard

Also, I hear a lot about 'social media'. My experiences have been much less than 'stellar'. No easy ability to 'connect'....or any organized feel for what
I would be doing.

O'h well.

Any comments?
Bye
SC

Opaque? Really? I find NASA to be exactly the opposite. There's information available on every mission they're involved in, including ones which are still in the early planning stages. Science data is quickly made available (allowing for some minor delays to allow researchers to get papers out first). Historical records of all the "interesting stuff", like the Apollo missions, is easily accessible...

I could go on at length about the openness of NASA, but I doubt you'll find many people who agree with you on this topic. As ToSeek says, it can be a bit compartmentalised, but all it takes is following a few links to find your way to the correct place for whatever you want to know.

If you want "opaque", try finding information about ESA missions and plans on their web sites (and I say that as a European :-( ).

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-05, 01:26 PM
I can say the same thing about some of the space start-ups. Except whey they are looking for investors, they tend not to publish any timelines or projections, only milestones and accomplishements.

Face it. NASA's not news. No matter what their press releases talk about, the media yawns until it comes to budget talks or accidents.

JustAFriend
2014-Mar-05, 03:13 PM
...NASA's public outreach effort are highly balkanized...

Yup, always been a huge problem.

They've needed a centralized, competent PR agency that can push the message and the dream since the 1970s.

Pop culture like Star Trek and Star Wars did more for NASA than they did for themselves.

R.A.F.
2014-Mar-05, 04:35 PM
...it has always been hard to know what they are doing and why.

Please present example(s), as I do not understand.

I know somewhat what NASA 'sells'...but what is really going on is a hard mystery to crack. Basically I would like details.

Details about what? What mystery do you see in NASA?

PetersCreek
2014-Mar-05, 08:33 PM
They've needed a centralized, competent PR agency that can push the message and the dream since the 1970s.

Pop culture like Star Trek and Star Wars did more for NASA than they did for themselves.

Although NASA has more leeway than my own agency, my understanding is that they still have some very strict limits on how much and to what extent they can expend funds for PR efforts. Appropriations law generally prohibits or severely limits expenditures for PR activities absent authority and funding from Congress specific to that purpose or as may be otherwise provided for by law. Even then, if the PR message is intended to sway public support for (or against) programs, legislative actions, etc., chances are pretty good that it is flat-out prohibited. The list of Government entities that can do that is a short one.