PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Saving Time: A Spring Forward or a Step Back?

Fraser
2014-Mar-05, 05:40 PM
*The time to change clocks is once again nigh. Well put our unabashed bias as a lover of the night sky right up front: we loathe Daylight Saving Time. And its not just because of the biannual hunt through our home for the dozen-odd non-networked clocks that it instigates twice a year. (...)Read the rest […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/109735/daylight-saving-time-a-spring-forward-or-a-step-back/)

redshifter
2014-Mar-05, 06:53 PM
Count me among amateur astronomers who hate DST! It means I have to wait till 11:30pm to start observing in Summer from my latitude. Boo!

grapes
2014-Mar-05, 07:03 PM
Colorado wanted to go on full-time DST thirty years ago, to decrease pollution problems.

It would've shifted the commute drive-time to a time of day when the winds were more apt to scour the city and prevent smog build-ups. No net decrease in smog, but the EPA monitors would've been satisfied by the decrease in the peak readings.

pumpkinpie
2014-Mar-05, 07:17 PM
Colorado wanted to go on full-time DST thirty years ago, to decrease pollution problems.

It would've shifted the commute drive-time to a time of day when the winds were more apt to scour the city and prevent smog build-ups. No net decrease in smog, but the EPA monitors would've been satisfied by the decrease in the peak readings.

Is the "time of day" when the winds are stronger related to a variable factor such as sunset time, or some other more constant condition? I ask because the range of sunset is 4 hours from December to June, so that one hour wouldn't make much of a difference when factored in over the year.

Edit: darn that Daylight Saving Time. Without it, the range in sunset time would be closer to 3 hours. So staying on DST year round would make the sunset range from 4:30 to 7:30. If the sunset time is actually the factor in the wind time of day, let me know and I'll think about this some more.:)

grapes
2014-Mar-05, 07:42 PM
Dunno for sure, the data (and the arguments) are 30-35 years old. But for instance today, the benefit analysis would just involve the few months when there is not currently DST, so the range of times would be a lot narrower.