PDA

View Full Version : TV Show ‘Cosmos’ Gets An Epic Reboot This Sunday

Fraser
2014-Mar-07, 05:40 PM
Sunday is going to be a once-in-a-generation moment. For those of us who were too young to remember the original Cosmos (writer puts hand up) or those who are eager to see the classic 1980 Carl Sagan series updated with discoveries since then, we’re all in luck. A new series starring astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/110073/tv-show-cosmos-gets-an-epic-reboot-this-sunday/)

Spacedude
2014-Mar-07, 06:46 PM
I was about 30 YO when the original series aired and looked forward to it each week for some intelligent TV programming. As I understand it this new Cosmos series will highlight one of my astronomical heroes - Giordano Bruno.

snipit from wiki...

"Giordano Bruno, 1548 – February 17, 1600), born Filippo Bruno, was an Italian Dominican friar, philosopher, mathematician, poet and astronomer. His cosmological theories went beyond the Copernican model: while supporting its heliocentrism, he also correctly proposed that the Sun was just another star moving in space, and claimed as well that the universe contained an infinite number of inhabited worlds populated by other intelligent beings. The Roman Inquisition found him guilty of heresy, and he was burned at the stake...."

Obviously a man ahead of his time who thought out of the box. Fortunately, today one doesn't get burned at the stake for such "crazy" views, though their reputation may get torched.

primummobile
2014-Apr-15, 12:36 AM
I was a little shocked when Tyson said that the neutron is the glue that holds protons together in an atomic nucleus. I am beginning to wonder what audience this show is intended to reach.