PDA

View Full Version : How powerful is man?

cjackson
2014-Mar-08, 06:13 AM
Let's say you took all the nuclear and conventional ordnance on the planet, gathered it in one location and set it off: what would the affect be? I've read that the energy in creating rain within tropical cyclones is far greater than man's electricity generation capacity. Would such a hypothetical mass explosion of all the world's weapons be a blip on the radar of natural power? What size crater would be would created?

Trebuchet
2014-Mar-08, 04:00 PM
We're probably far more powerful when we do things slowly. It's taken 150 years, but we're causing significant changes in the climate.

swampyankee
2014-Mar-08, 04:53 PM
Depends on the person's individual condition, but a good athlete can sustain about 250 watts, and some people can peak out at about 4500 watts.

Collectively, we can quickly wipe ourselves out, but that's our technology.

publiusr
2014-Mar-08, 07:07 PM
There really aren't a lot of animals larger than us, but with tools we can carve very small things.
We do well at all scales. Simple spears allow us to down most any sized animal in the past.

NorthernDevo
2014-Mar-09, 03:32 AM
Referring to the OP; and stating outright I have no real knowlege of the subject; if you took every single piece of nuclear and conventional ordinance on the planet and set it off in one location; you would make one seriously big boom.
I think the overall effect would depend largely on where you chose to set it off: In the center of the Gobi? At the bottom of the Laurentian Abbysal? At the south Pole? The results would be different for each location.

At the very worst - and better-educated folks can check me on this - you would set off a worldwide nuclear cataclysm (the conventional ordinance can be dismissed as firecrackers) that could easily eliminate Man from the world; as well as numerous other species.

And then...the Earth would shrug, clear itself up; and go on without the annoying skin irritation called Man She'd picked up in the last few millenia.

In other words; though I have no scientific basis for my statement I suggest the worst we could do is eliminate our own place on this planet. Our power is transient and while we have an effect on Her in the short term; all we are really doing is damaging our place in Her history.

Just my opinion. :)

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-10, 07:02 PM
At the very worst - and better-educated folks can check me on this - you would set off a worldwide nuclear cataclysm (the conventional ordinance can be dismissed as firecrackers) that could easily eliminate Man from the world; as well as numerous other species.
I tried searching for a reference, but we've talked about bombs so much that I can't find it among the noise.

I seem to remember that there was an upper limit on the effectiveness of a single explosion. At a certain point, the explosion gets lost to space because the shock wave will get directed upward due to the density gradient.

Swift
2014-Mar-10, 07:53 PM
I seem to remember that there was an upper limit on the effectiveness of a single explosion. At a certain point, the explosion gets lost to space because the shock wave will get directed upward due to the density gradient.
I recall the same thing, but don't have a reference either.

If one was trying for maximum harm, I actually think setting all the bombs off equally spread around the planet would cause more harm than a single big explosion.

publiusr
2014-Mar-10, 09:45 PM
I remember that from a documentary...I think 100 MT was the limit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba#Analysis

Delvo
2014-Mar-14, 10:40 PM
The kinds of impacts that have caused a handful of mass extinctions in the world's history have each released several thousand times the total energy of all nuclear weapons ever made, apiece. So putting all nuclear weapons together would yield, for example, a ten-thousandth of the blast from the impact at the end of the age of dinosaurs. I think that would put it on the scale of an especially nasty (perhaps unprecedented in human recorded history) volcano/supervolcano.