PDA

View Full Version : The Fabric of the Cosmos

cjackson
2014-Mar-14, 12:00 AM
What do you think of this book?

Solfe
2014-Mar-14, 12:27 AM
I enjoyed it, the companion DVD's are good too. As far as a scientific treatment of the subject, the book is far more detailed than the DVD while remaining in the realm of pop-science. There is a lot of detail on why you would want string theory and a bit of commentary on why this is hard. It does not touch the math much at all. It is more a current events or history piece, like Winkles in Time by George Smoot.

The DVD often pokes fun at itself, there is a who's who of scientists that often balk at or laugh at questions posed. There is a fair bit of historical information for a physics show and this might be the best part. The animations were pretty cool in the late 1990's (or early 2000's) and due to the use of humor, might not look complete crazy 10 to 20 years from now. The DVD's are available for viewing (in certain) areas on PBS.org for free. They are segmented into 10-20 minute parts.

Inclusa
2014-Mar-14, 03:15 AM
Why does it remind me of the old book Fabric of Reality?
While I was interested in quantum physics, my lack of true background in physics renders studies in relativity impossible very soon.