PDA

View Full Version : Why Trapping Somebody In Space Only Takes A Breeze (And Other Highlights From Expedit

Fraser
2014-Mar-18, 09:10 PM
Imagine that you were in the middle of a module on the International Space Station. Floating in mid-air, far from handholds or any way to propel yourself. Is there any way to get out of that situation? The short answer is not easily, and the longer answer is it could be an effective way to […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/110440/why-trapping-somebody-in-space-only-takes-a-breeze-and-other-highlights-from-expedition-40/)

DaveC426913
2014-Mar-19, 01:09 AM
Well, you could:
- 'swim' to safety
- 'blow' your way to safety
- use clothing as reaction mass
- use bodily fluids as reaction mass

I bet we could list a dozen solutions in our collective sleep.

Glom
2014-Mar-19, 05:57 AM
Interesting thought. If such a technique ever did get used as a form of punishment, I wonder what the take of some would be on it. Could it be considered one of those psychological torture methods?

grapes
2014-Mar-19, 01:27 PM
Well, you could:
- 'swim' to safety
- 'blow' your way to safety
- use clothing as reaction mass
- use bodily fluids as reaction mass

I bet we could list a dozen solutions in our collective sleep.
With a steady breeze blowing, that might not be enough--but wouldn't there have to be some sort of "exit" breeze?

DaveC426913
2014-Mar-20, 12:28 AM
With a steady breeze blowing, that might not be enough--but wouldn't there have to be some sort of "exit" breeze?

If there were a steady breeze blowing - it would be blowing you somewhere.

Solfe
2014-Mar-20, 08:18 PM
Hip circle would likely work too, although you might hit the wall back or head first.

Van Rijn
2014-Mar-21, 12:05 AM
I think I read before that swimming doesn't work very well and throwing things can set you spinning. Maybe synchronized rapid flapping of your hands would work, though I suspect you'd still have a problem with spinning.

I don't think the ISS has much in the way of wide open areas, but I expect it was a real issue on Skylab.

The air trap is an interesting idea, at least for a science fiction story. I could imagine an active air system that could keep someone in the center of an open area.

publiusr
2014-Mar-30, 07:31 PM
Torture to me would be if someone put you in a chamber with a huge blob of liquid, and blew it at you. It would behave like the blob, almost as if alive, seeking to flood every orifice to drown you in a bubble of hate.