PDA

View Full Version : What caused this weird feature?

Acrotar
2014-Mar-22, 01:23 PM

Just wondering what is behind the features in this image. I am talking about the black area with white inside it on the bottom and the dirt tracks going vertically.

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-24, 12:00 PM
That looks like it could be Apollo 14 (rotated 90 degrees) (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Apollo14LRO2.png), but the tracks seem too pronounced to be just the hand cart they hauled around. If it were, I would think the footprints would make it a little more blurred.

I looked at some of the other sites, and the footprints around the lander churned up a lot of the surface compared to this one.

astrostu
2014-Mar-26, 12:15 AM
All of the images in MoonMappers right now are of the Apollo 15 landing site, so that would be the Falcon lander and related astronaut tracks.

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-26, 11:45 AM
All of the images in MoonMappers right now are of the Apollo 15 landing site, so that would be the Falcon lander and related astronaut tracks.
Interesting. I can't seem to match it up with the NASA image (http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/627886main_M175252641LR_ap15.jpg).

astrostu
2014-Mar-26, 04:14 PM
Rotate the NASA image 180. The two overlapping craters in the NASA image that's between the "D" in "Descent Stage" and the arrow pointing out the tracks is at the 2:00 position in the image Acrotar posted. Keep in mind there are multiple NAC images that cover the site, and depending on sun angle, you're going to see different features popping out.

NEOWatcher
2014-Mar-26, 04:58 PM
Rotate the NASA image 180.
Aha, thanks.
Acrotar's picture cuts of the major tracks, so it was hard to tell that it was the same track that was least visible to me in the picture I provide.

Either that, or all those arrows point at it in my picture made me ignore it. :doh:

Atharva7420
2015-Aug-02, 02:20 PM
I think it is a newly forming valley which is caused due to the moon quakes. If this is right then the moon would be giving birth to moon tectonic(plates).