PDA

View Full Version : Libertarians are sadistic and whiny

Schneibster
2014-Mar-29, 06:43 PM
From DeSmogBlog:

http://www.desmogblog.com/2014/03/20/science-journal-retracts-paper-showing-how-climate-change-sceptics-were-conspiracy-theorists-after-sceptics-shout

From Pharyngula:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/03/21/the-paper-they-dont-want-you-to-read/

From one of the authors:

The strategies employed in those attacks follow a common playbook, regardless of which scientific proposition is being denied and regardless of who the targeted scientists are: There is cyber-bullying and public abuse by “trolling” (which recent research has linked to sadism); there is harassment by vexatious freedom-of-information (FOI) requests; there are the complaints to academic institutions; legal threats; and perhaps most troubling, there is the intimidation of journal editors and publishers who are acting on manuscripts that are considered inconvenient.

Sounds remarkably like what happened to me here. Twice.

publiusr
2014-Mar-29, 08:30 PM
A little humor:

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:

The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.

One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

The other, of course, involves orcs."

— John Rogers

Schneibster
2014-Mar-29, 08:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged struck me as socially dysfunctional.

I read LOTR when I was eleven. :D

swampyankee
2014-Mar-29, 08:59 PM
Before I joined the working world, I thought that individual heroic engineer/architects could do anything. Then, I got a job as an engineer, and found that Ayn Rand had about as much knowledge of how large projects worked as does the average 8th grade student.

I also got to meet numerous employees that were missing digits due to unsafe equipment.

Schneibster
2014-Mar-29, 09:05 PM
The EEs and CSs don't have to ever learn how projects work.

It's a shame.

Just FYI, I have been banned from two supposed "science" sites for quoting these articles.

Heinous.

swampyankee
2014-Mar-29, 09:17 PM
The EEs and CSs don't have to ever learn how projects work.

That's one of the reasons most software development projects run very late and very over budget.

Solfe
2014-Mar-29, 09:29 PM
When I handled engineers, my EE's were the best. They'd call consumers and talk to them like humans.

Schneibster
2014-Mar-29, 09:35 PM
Solfe you had a killer crew. I've been in two killer crews. It's great. Everyone is always happy.

Schneibster
2014-Mar-29, 09:41 PM
Swampyankee :D I've read books about how to run a software project on time and on budget.

Step A1 is to get control of marcom and prevent them from promising the unobtainable. I wouldn't try to run it myself but I can see when the managers are sane or not.

swampyankee
2014-Mar-29, 09:52 PM
I've been involved in some successful, large software projects. One of the required management techniques seems to be to find the anti-social hacker who won't attend meetings or write progress reports and not hire him (or, very rarely, her)

Schneibster
2014-Mar-29, 09:57 PM
Yep. And often they're the rugged individualist. Good software is written by integrated teams. Individualists always make a mess.

Architects know when to lead, and be individualist, and when to gather their team around them and work together. People who try to imitate them always pick the wrong time and are labeled as prima donnas.

closetgeek
2014-Mar-29, 10:20 PM
A little humor:

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:

The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.

One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

The other, of course, involves orcs."

— John Rogers

I felt it was my duty as a Freshman in college to read Atlas Shrugged. Two years later, I have yet to reach book two. For a brief moment, I had hoped you were suggesting that Orcs were going to spice this book up at least a little bit. :D

Schneibster
2014-Mar-29, 10:39 PM
The dignity of the individual is important, but the wise individual joins a group. This second is the part Randites miss. Primates are successful because they collaborate. Anti-collaboration rhetoric is destructive.

slang
2014-Mar-29, 11:28 PM
Closed pending moderator discussion